Would be Millwall, wouldn`t it ? | Page 17 | Vital Football

Would be Millwall, wouldn`t it ?

Booing Princess Margaret? It's come to this? Dear God, why would anyone want to boo Princess Margaret? I think everyone would stop and look, and then just shake their heads. The players would walk off, the tea bars would shut, and the band of the Royal Marines would refuse to enter the pitch. Anthony Armstrong Jones, maybe -but Princess Margaret?
Exactly. No way would I have booed - the National Anthem ( not aimed at Princess Margaret personally). Rude and unsulting. Likewise booing taking the knee, which I also disagree with as a ritual.

I suspect I'd get a ban or be lynched.

Last edited:
Very, very worrying.

So divisive, and overtly political gestures are to be permitted on the pitch....
....despite a supposed ban on, and fines for, "political" statements....

....while fans booing (which surely has always been part of spectator sports)
is to be banned if it challenges someone else's political standpoint.

We really are into "cancel culture" / 1984 territory .:mad:

Can a club eject a fan "for any reason whatsoever"?

Because that is what is happening.

Where is the list of "ejectable" offences.

These fans are booing. You cant eject people for that.

Appears they can eject you,because it’s happening regularly,so where does it stop,booing the referee,linesman,players,manager,time wasting or even a back pass,
Can you be ejected for turning your back on knee bending ritual.
Be very interesting if anybody had the guts to take case to court and won.

Can a club eject a fan "for any reason whatsoever"?

Because that is what is happening.

Where is the list of "ejectable" offences.

These fans are booing. You cant eject people for that.
I think it would fall into the anti social behaviour category.
Just my guess but all the small print will be on any clubs website, somewhere.

I don’t condone booing but do feel that if any of the players decide to make a public political gesture, then they should expect the flack that comes with such a gesture.

I said months ago that when the fans return in numbers, this reaction will be the result.
It’s been proven so and will probably get worse as more fans are allowed to return.

I would imagine as the stadium is private property you can be asked to leave/ejected simply if they didn’t want you there. Similar to being refused entry to a pub or club, or if somebody was standing in the middle of your front garden and you didn’t want them there.

I suspect a refund would have to be given in these instances though, as ejection for booing I don’t think would be in the season ticket t&cs.

I think it would fall into the anti social behaviour category.
Just my guess but all the small print will be on any clubs website, somewhere.

I don’t condone booing but do feel that if any of the players decide to make a public political gesture, then they should expect the flack that comes with such a gesture.

I said months ago that when the fans return in numbers, this reaction will be the result.
It’s been proven so and will probably get worse as more fans are allowed to return.

Well it is not as if football fans act anti socially in any other way at games, swearing, cat-calling, winding up opposition fans, threatening behaviour towards officials etc. How many are ejected?

I would imagine as the stadium is private property you can be asked to leave/ejected simply if they didn’t want you there. Similar to being refused entry to a pub or club, or if somebody was standing in the middle of your front garden and you didn’t want them there.

I suspect a refund would have to be given in these instances though, as ejection for booing I don’t think would be in the season ticket t&cs.

But in this instance you are ejecting people because of their OPINION.

This is true, but I’m sure we have all seen people asked to leave a pub before anything escalates. Whether it is for behaviour or things they are saying.

FWIW I agree that people shouldn’t be ejected for it, but if a stadium is private property then the club have the right to refuse admission/eject if they see fit.

As someone mentioned earlier, it is ok doing it with a few individuals scattered around a sparse crowd of 2000. I wonder how clubs will cope if 50 or so all stick together doing it. Or a whole stand start doing it. How do you eject 2500 in the rainham end for instance?

Correct as far as I know. Obviously there are some causes whereby refusal to, for example, serve someone of the basis of their colour or sex is illegal. Otherwise businesses can provide for whoever they want or not.

Correct as far as I know. Obviously there are some causes whereby refusal to, for example, serve someone of the basis of their colour or sex is illegal. Otherwise businesses can provide for whoever they want or not.

Wasn’t there a court case last year/year before where a gay couple took a cake shop to court for refusing to bake a wedding cake for them? I vaguely recall the cake shop owners were devout Christians and said due to their faith they couldn’t allow themselves to condone homosexuality. Can’t remember how it panned out.

Wasn’t there a court case last year/year before where a gay couple took a cake shop to court for refusing to bake a wedding cake for them? I vaguely recall the cake shop owners were devout Christians and said due to their faith they couldn’t allow themselves to condone homosexuality. Can’t remember how it panned out.

Think it panned-out quite well but once it had cooled down some of the sultanas were found to be so big that the icing was out of kilter.......

As for the legal case, IIRC, the UK Supreme Ct found in favour of the bakers.

Spot on, Rob.

Not really, Mick. It`s more how an apparent opinion was overtly characterised.

As I mentioned earlier, in the case of the fellow at Exeter City - this matter could possibly run on for some time. I say that because the "ejectee" was not part of a group but an individual doing something that was not illegal, albeit it was on private property, so ECFC had the right to eject him. But, given that they have publicly derided this individual and that his character could now be distastefully dragged through the press, he might end up having a civil claim against ECFC.

Similarly at Cambridge Utd, where, according to Sky Sports, the Chief Executive there said of the person or persons who booed at their game v Colchester:
"the club will not allow the booing fans to go unpunished".
Now if he did say that, IMO, he`s opening the door to counter-action.

I wouldn`t boo people taking the knee but those responsible for football clubs, notwithstanding their right to eject people from their premises, might need to be a bit more selective about the language they are using. Booing is, in itself, not illegal!

I wonder which individual decides what can be boo'ed at , and what can't?
Who is the judge of freedom of expression ?

Similarly at Cambridge Utd, where, according to Sky Sports, the Chief Executive there said of the person or persons who booed at their game v Colchester:
"the club will not allow the booing fans to go unpunished".
Now if he did say that, IMO, he`s opening the door to counter-action.

I wouldn`t boo people taking the knee but those responsible for football clubs, notwithstanding their right to eject people from their premises, might need to be a bit more selective about the language they are using. Booing is, in itself, not illegal!
I'll state the obvious....
"Booing" is part and parcel of many spectator sports.

Pantomimes ??:oops: