Worth a win | Vital Football

Worth a win

collioure_bee

Vital 1st Team Regular
Played well yesterday, as usual, but as usual didn't get what we deserved.

First half was a bit nothing although we edged it, both sides lucky to score nil. Second half we dominated and they couldn't find an answer until the 86th minute and we all felt we knew what was going to happen just seconds before Hogan was stopped by Bentley.

Felt Josh could or should have done better with his break and shot, Maupay having a right old go at him for not squaring it but their keeper made a couple more good saves to stop us.

I did note they found our weakness in defence and tried to make the most of it, using that wing to make most of their attacks. We need to strengthen that side up.

Been looking at Villa site and if their team have the same attitude as some of their big time Charlie fans it's no wonder they are struggling. "Too big to be playing here, it's everybody's cup final against us..." "We're the Man Utd of the Championship, everyone hates us, everyone makes it their day out and ups their game as it's their biggest game of year home and away so raise their game...."(try telling Sunderland and Middlesbrough fans that and if you keep that attitude of superiority everyone will hate you) "We'll spend another year in the fizzy pop league..." (as if it's some kind of nothing league) "If we played football like they do with our players we'd piss this league...." (well you don't play that kind of football because your billy big bollock stars can't do it well enough) and the best one...."This league is easy to get out of,..." WHAT? Keep thinking like that, mate, keep thinking like that, You'll be in the hardest division where anyone can beat anyone and you have to be 100% every match for a long time to come.

Oh and apparently we are "one of the worst teams in the division" (yes mate a team that took four points off you last season, humiliated you at our place and finished above you in the league) and we are also relegation favourites and certain to be in the relegation fight at the end. Hahahaha.

Some were very honest and admitted we outplayed them but there was often the "little old Brentford look how far we've fallen" comment to go with it.

Love it when certain clubs don't realise they are here for a reason. Maybe they've taken Wolves place as the too big for this league whingers?

Thoughts not shared by their manager who was very complimentary about how we play and how we recruit our players.

He's right although we might not always feel that way. Need a couple of results this week to be fair.

I saw that too, Kent. A shame the fans can't be as honest, but from the slaughtering they are giving him I doubt they'd agree with anything he says.

According to this guy -
http://www.myoldmansaid.com/what-we-learned-from-a-return-to-bruce-ball/
"Brentford are an empty shell of a team having sold our better players"
Laugh? I wet myself.

Typical of the kind of disrespectful institutional superiority that we face from some of the so called big guns in the division. We are many things (not all good), but empty shell - do me a favour! Signs of improvement for us but without hitting the target the pressure is on our less than solid defence. I feel we simply have to get a win from these next 2, 4 points & I'd feel we're back on track for a mid table position. Season on a knife edge already although many will see it differently I'm sure.

Be lovely to get a boosting win at Wednesday although I'm sure the ball will be in our box a lot.

COYR

Someone is going to get a hammering from us and it will kickstart us. It has to come soon though. We are playing great football, We have a striker who I feel is our most exciting prospect as a striker in years, but still we can't find the net. We have come up against some great goalkeeping this year, but once we get that break......
Oh please be tonight. The positive side of me says against a good side on a good run, sod's law works in our favour. The realistic side says "Shut up Paul. Stop being silly"

Shut up Paul, stop being silly - sorry mate can't resist. Bees are in trouble, can't be unlucky every game.

What is being exposed is the major disadvantage in MB's strategy. If you buy low and sell high you are buying young players with promise and moving them on. I think the best teams tend to combine youth and experience. The three senior players we have just sold to BCFC are 26, 26 and 25 years old. If you have a very young team, they make more mistakes and if you play with one striker, they can't afford to miss too many. There is a serious danger now that their heads might go down. I'll give them three more games before I start to panic.

Said it before & believe strategy is only as good as its implementation & adaptation. I've more or less accepted the need for & positives so far as the strategy goes, without it we'd be Wigan, Bolton, milwall type of club at best. So I am left wondering if the coaching team is able to keep us away from trouble & potentially pushing on. Jury's out atm, maybe the former but doubts about the latter, other clubs with limited resources are doing better than us atm. Less than 10 points at the 10 game mark & I'll be very concerned.

http://statsbomb.com/2017/09/inferior-tactical-strategies-the-bizarro-world-of-brentford/

Very interesting read. Although our number of shots on goal is high, their quality is low, so the new magic wand stat "Expected Goals" is low.

Yes I also saw this & found it interesting Spanish. Ted clearly gives his unique perspective on our current form & prospects. I like him & try to take something from his analysis. Trust me he's being banged on other forums for being something of a joke. That said the numbers seem of limited value as the fountain of luck has run dry, & that can't be modelled. Our poor run goes back into the tail of last season & needs sorting or Smith will be under big pressure, hopefully a good win tomorrow & we'll be fine. Coyr

Maybe I am an old luddite but it's making a simple game complicated, some would say too complicated for the average player to digest lol.
We've come up against some good goalkeeping and some poor luck yet again. Had we been mid to high table, Maupay's last kick of the game would have been two inches to the right and we'd have got the deserved draw.
Sheffield Wednesday didn't seem like they'd done any homework on us and let our position tell them they were on for an easy night. They got far from it. Took a deserved lead from a pretty poor shot to be honest. Then last seconds of first half, what on earth happened there? A comedy of errors.
Smith's comment about that knocking the stuffing out of them is worrying though. That shows a lack of confidence and fight.
Didn't see what happened to Dalsgaard but it looked bad from the outset. Good to see him up and about so soon after the match.
Got to say Wednesday fans are a class act. They say good things about us over there and were fair about it too, no big time charlie stuff like from the Villa lot. Great atmosphere spoiled by that poxy band. Wednesday don't need that awful racket to create a noise or atmosphere.

I totally agree with your comment about giving it three more games, Spanish. Think that will be about my marker too. The big win has to come soon (I am sure someone will get hammered) but I'll take a one nil for now. Please let it be Reading. Not just because it's the next match, but because it's them

Depressing stuff again against Reading. Same old story as we were clearly the better side but missed some easy chances to say the least and gave away a needless penalty. What is so frustrating is to see us at the bottom yet playing some good football, in past years when we have been relegation candidates we have just been poor, this is kinda harder to take as there is a fluidity to our play that belies our position.

Its' still early days and it is fine lines at this level but at the moment I can only see a season of struggle ahead.

Absolutely, Kent. It's getting kind of boring and my mates take the mickey saying "Best team again were you?" Apparently the stats show Reading as more possession than us, But apart from a fifteen minute period straight after half time (why do we always go to sleep then?) when Reading had us under the cosh I felt we dominated.
Few things I felt yesterday. Sawyers had a great first half but second half was poor and he should have been subbed earlier.
Why was Woods playing so deep? He is far less effective back there.
Flo was too greedy, Two or three occasions he was in the penalty area and rather than square to one or two players in better positions he took on a shot himself, and they were all pretty weak efforts.
What's going on with Maupay? Since he died his hair he's lost it. I have big hopes for him so I hope he's not a flash in the pan. I do like the way if the going is tough he goes looking for the ball though. He's not afraid to stand up for himself either, and doesn't go missing. Just wish he'd take one or two of the chances he's getting. Maybe it's time to play two up front?
Love Mokotjo. He's everywhere. Not the most elegant of players at times, but he'll run through challenges and somehow the ball stays at his feet.
Josh was a class above yesterday. I felt he would cover the gap Jota left and he did just that yesterday. His speed scared the life out of them yesterday.
Not sure why Barbet was dropped for Bjellend who would never win the race to pick up the dropped fiver. To be fair, he did ok yesterday and his customary get left behind by striker moment was offside.
BUT What a stupid penalty to give away. Absolutely pointless

You raised a good point, Kent. When we had that period of struggle last year, and the year before, we never looked capable of getting out of it. We were a shambles at times. We've started badly this year (hopefully this is our bad patch being gotten rid of early) but we still have a fluidity and are playing well enough to give us hope.

Our worst performance of the season that one tonight, schoolboy error by Mepham to give away a needless penalty and what can you say about our penalty that hits the top tier....

Team looked unbalanced and some poor individual performances. Barbet had his worst game in a Bees shirt, Daniels should have saved the second and I lost count of the number of misplaced passes. Effort, confidence and fluidity just evaporated as the game went on against a strong Norwich side who played well but we let them. No sign of the pressing game we are supposed to be playing.

Some very big games coming up for our season and maybe for Smith.

The squad is way too inexperienced & thin for the level we're playing at, a blip has been allowed to develop into a slump & a game away from a crisis. DS stumbles on winning & losing formulas & I'm never really sure he knows how or why. That said his limitations have been exposed by those above who've misjudged the tools at his disposal. Maybe the stats have been telling us what we want to hear & actually our plight is more serious. I don't know, and don't really want to see a decent guy lose his job. BUT lose at Bolton & it'll be very hard to defend him. Now would be a good time for the DoF's & hierarchy to show support, but you won't see RA until things look a lot better AWOL as usual!

Worrying but it's been worse as everyone keeps reminding me.

Praying we can keep Bolton out & nick something, far from optimistic though.