Worst Players | Page 2 | Vital Football

Worst Players

Koumas was a good player. You don't become shit overnight and at Tranmere Cardiff and West Brom he was a big success. He suffered from fan expectation as we'd signed him for big money and he'd been the best player in the Championship the previous season, sweeping up all the player of the year awards. He was a luxury player and as such didn't fit into Bruce's style, who preferred everyone to be hard grafters. He was also unlucky with injuries.

Boselli struggled with English football but signs of his quality were there, as proved against Bournemouth. Anyone at that game will be appreciative of his contribution to the club.

Good shout though on Jeff Peron. The French Ali Dia. Cardiff still must be laughing at us for taking Andrew Taylor and Don Cowie off of their hands. Conor Sammon as well. Christ we've had some shit strikers in the Whelan era.

Boselli struggled with English football but signs of his quality were there, as proved against Bournemouth. Anyone at that game will be appreciative of his contribution to the club.

Give over. He was a premier league striker who scored a half decent goal against a 3rd division side
Considering the fuss Bobby made to get him here and how it forced Benson out he was a massive flop and a massive disappointment

Last edited:
Give over. He was a premier league striker who he scored a half decent goal against a 3rd division side
Considering the fuss Bobby made to get him here and how it forced Benson out he was a massive flop and a massive disappointment
Not for me. That Bournemouth goal made that 8m investment worth every penny. We’d have lost without it, because we got battered that night.

In no particular order the ones scared into my brain;

Stokovic hands down worst keeper we've had - jumped out of the way of shots! Kingston was as dodgy as they come, Kerr was a nightmare and O'Donnell was horrendous. Those 4 made Haugaard and Bogdan look like Buffon by comparison.

Boselli i think scored 1 FA cup goal on the way to winning it but that was the sum total for 6.8m. Worst bit of business we've ever done due to cost.

Koumas looked quality under Chris Hutchings but after he got injured and came back after Hutchings left we got about 3 good games in 4 years. No return for such a big investment. The lad had the ability but didn't show it.

Kapo - looked class previous year at Birmingham but shocking for us for 3m.

King was blatently crocked when we bought him for big money - no way he passed a medical he could barely walk! And that's before the legal issues.

Holt's legs had gone before we signed him - should've tried for him about 10 years earlier. Couldn't justify outlay for what we got.

Fitz Hall was such a liability he was worse than playing with 10 men he was a mistake machine. Palace fans had a party when we paid 3m for him and you could tell why.

Agahowa was meant to be in his mid twenties when we got him but I think he was really in his mid 30s and his legs had gone. Hard to believe what we got was the lad banging them in the Champions League a couple of years earlier.

Ronnie Stam - 3m or so we paid he was deceptively hopeless.

Donald Love - genuinely have no idea how he was a proffesional footballer.

Todorov - total garbage only contribution was missing a penalty.

Alan McGloughlin - was completely anonymous every game. Didn't look like he even tried.

Peron came at same time as McGloughlin from same club I think - another dud.

Andy Webster had a good debut but after that he was diabolical.

Haestad- decent international rep but played once and it was a nightmare.

Bogle - looked class in first 2 or 3 games but after that he was utterly useless. But at least got our money back on him. But virtually all of Joyce's signings Browne, Weir, Hanson in the bin with Bogle although Laurent and Gilks were decent in few appearances before they went.

Reece Wabara - utterly useless in League 1 which is saying something. Couldn't find another club despite being in mid twenties says it all. Also searched his own name on Twitter constantly.

Odelusi - we paid money for a player Bolton would've given away. Beggars belief.

Bidstrup - paid a few hundred grand for him back in the day which was a lot and terminated his contract in few months tells you that story.

Olembe - played once didn't look like he was even a footballer.

DeRidder - looked good advertising the kit but was useless on the pitch.

Sammon probably gets away with being so crap for his 1 good game and goal being so crucial but he was shocking in the rest of the time he was here. Folan had about 2 good games and scored a vital goal too but he was also terrible. At least they had a good moment each.

Ojo and Murphy on loan under Malky - might have gone on to better things but at the time utterly useless.

Leon Clarke the first time - couldn't be arsed.

Ged Brannan - was utterly useless.

Gillespie on loan the second time - couldn't have put any less effort in. Lasted about 4 games then sent back.

Kiernan had a bit of underservex hype but was liability.

Shaq Coulthirst - came on loan and only came on as sub a couple of times. Wasn't on pitch many minutes but enough to know he was shite.

Virtually all of Roslers 12m worth of signings - Cowie, McEcheran, Collison, Taylor, Delore, Huws etc - whoever was scouting that lot should be blackballed from the game. Even the few who did alight after they left were useless here.

Not for me. That Bournemouth goal made that 8m investment worth every penny. We’d have lost without it, because we got battered that night.

If we spent the money on another striker who wasn't so bad we may have had them there to score that one goal still plus a handful of others that may have kept us up.

Stokovic hands down worst keeper we've had - jumped out of the way of shots! Kingston was as dodgy as they come, Kerr was a nightmare and O'Donnell was horrendous. Those 4 made Haugaard and Bogdan look like Buffon by comparison.

Boselli i think scored 1 FA cup goal on the way to winning it but that was the sum total for 6.8m. Worst bit of business we've ever done due to cost.

Koumas looked quality under Chris Hutchings but after he got injured and came back after Hutchings left we got about 3 good games in 4 years. No return for such a big investment. The lad had the ability but didn't show it.

King was blatently crocked when we bought him for big money - no way he passed a medical he could barely walk! And that's before the legal issues.

Holt's legs had gone before we signed him - should've tried for him about 10 years earlier. Couldn't justify outlay for what we got.

Fitz Hall was such a liability he was worse than playing with 10 men he was a mistake machine. Palace fans had a party when we paid 3m for him and you could tell why.

Agahowa was meant to be in his mid twenties when we got him but I think he was really in his mid 30s and his legs had gone. Hard to believe what we got was the lad banging them in the Champions League a couple of years earlier.

Alan McGloughlin - was completely anonymous every game. Didn't look like he even tried.

Bogle - looked class in first 2 or 3 games but after that he was utterly useless. But at least got our money back on him. But virtually all of Joyce's signings Browne, Weir, Hanson in the bin with Bogle although Laurent and Gilks were decent in few appearances before they went.

Reece Wabara - utterly useless in League 1 which is saying something. Couldn't find another club despite being in mid twenties says it all. Also searched his own name on Twitter constantly.

Odelusi - we paid money for a player Bolton would've given away. Beggars belief.

Bidstrup - paid a few hundred grand for him back in the day which was a lot and terminated his contract in few months tells you that story.

Sammon probably gets away with being so crap for his 1 good game and goal being so crucial but he was shocking in the rest of the time he was here. Folan had about 2 good games and scored a vital goal too but he was also terrible. At least they had a good moment each.

Gillespie on loan the second time - couldn't have put any less effort in. Lasted about 4 games then sent back.

Shaq Coulthirst - came on loan and only came on as sub a couple of times. Wasn't on pitch many minutes but enough to know he was shite.

Virtually all of Roslers 12m worth of signings - Cowie, McEcheran, Collison, Taylor, Delore, Huws etc - whoever was scouting that lot should be blackballed from the game. Even the few who did alight after they left were useless here.
Good shout on Haested - played for us away at Chelsea - we lost 4-0 - i remember he had the ball right in front of me and looked frightened to death - he had 2 passes on and booted it out for a corner - shocking.
Andrew Taylor - shit out of a tackle in front of the away fans at Bournemouth the season we got relegated. James Maclean was in the away end after Rosler dropped him and jumped up with the rest of the tics to give Taylor absolute pelters.
Happy days 😂

Ojo and Murphy on loan under Malky - might have gone on to better things but at the time utterly useless.

Leon Clarke the first time - couldn't be arsed.

Todorov, McGloughlin, Peron, Jamal Lowe and our current manager - FFS Pompey have mugged us off more than we've mugged Sunderland off over the years 😂

Worst 11 for me on ability - would guarantee relegation at any level in any era of football

Stoikovic

Olembe
Hall
Webster
Love

McGloughlin
Brannan
Odelusi
Peron

Todorov
Agahowa

Worst 11 for me on ability - would guarantee relegation at any level in any era of football

Stoikovic

Olembe
Hall
Webster
Love

McGloughlin
Brannan
Odelusi
Peron

Todorov
Agahowa
Can we have both Boselli and Andy Delort (thought he as all that but wasn't) and a further waste of £3m quid on the bench😉

Todorov, McGloughlin, Peron, Jamal Lowe and our current manager - FFS Pompey have mugged us off more than we've mugged Sunderland off over the years 😂

Sunderland signing Will Grigg for 4m is the biggest mugging we've done in our history. But they did send us Gibson the other way! He's another for the list - looked like a heavy smoking dad with dodgy knees on the way back from the pub joining in with his sons team as they were short on numbers.

Can we have both Boselli and Andy Delort (thought he as all that but wasn't) and a further waste of £3m quid on the bench😉

Stunningly we ended up making profit on Delort! Bought him for something like 3m. Sold for 1m then got 4m in a sell on fee or something mad like that.

Think we managed to claw back a few mill for Boselli in loan fees and eventual sale but it was still at best around 4m loss. Brutal.

Stunningly we ended up making profit on Delort! Bought him for something like 3m. Sold for 1m then got 4m in a sell on fee or something mad like that.

Think we managed to claw back a few mill for Boselli in loan fees and eventual sale but it was still at best around 4m loss. Brutal.
Didn't realise we got the dosh back on borstal dot Andy 😉
Thought we'd written him off a let him go !

It was very close between Holt and Boselli to be in my team.I went for Bosselli in the end due to his bigger transfer fee.I thought Rogne did ok the few times he played.I put him in my team though as he was always injured and hardly played in his 2 years here.
Haestad,Olembe,Peron,Fitz Hall and Kapo a few of the good shouts I've seen mentioned.Especially the last 2 considering their transfer fees.
Additionally Jason Scotland's goal return,with 1 goal for a striker all 09/10 season was a poor record.

Not sure why so many are selecting players that didn't get a chance. Who knows with a proper opportunity how they may have done. We had soke club legends who after half a dozen games looked poor but once they got up to speed and settled well the rest is history. Gomez being the perfect example of this

Delort signed for us and had been injured all pre season. Was clearly no where near fit enough to start. Yet was starting 4 games in quick succession and was way off the pace. Never started again. How is 4 games enough to say he had a chance? Since then he's had a great record, over 10m in transfers I believe. 2 years after leaving heavily linked with a France national team call up.

Boselli. Started 6 games. 5 at the beginning of his Wigan career. Had just signed from Argentina. Was clearly going to take time to adapt. Never got given that time. Since then scored a lot of goals and was capped by a very strong Argentina side.

For me considering a half a dozen match spell with us was the anomaly in their careers, I think it was our bad management not a bad player.

Last edited:
The two strikers for me. Scotland and Holt. Both went many months aa regular starters and did absolutely nothing.

Bogdan in net, mistake after mistake.

Forshaw is a name surprisingly omitted. Big money signing 3m for a League 1 midfielder. Regular starter for half a season. Incapable of even accurately passing to a team mate 5 yards away.

Luke Garbutt - Average to poor at Fulham (apologised after one match to supporters).
Wigan paid 1/3 of his salary ,I understand, for his services.
Awful, awful left back for us and cost us the game against Forest with 2 mistakes along with Dan Burn's faux pas.
Will be interesting to see if Everton retain his services this summer.

Yohann Thuram-Ulien Charlton Goalkeeper in 2014. One of the worst players to play against us (Had to look his name up).

Last edited:
Not sure why so many are selecting players that didn't get a chance. Who knows with a proper opportunity how they may have done. We had soke club legends who after half a dozen games looked poor but once they got up to speed and settled well the rest is history. Gomez being the perfect example of this

Delort signed for us and had been injured all pre season. Was clearly no where near fit enough to start. Yet was starting 4 games in quick succession and was way off the pace. Never started again. How is 4 games enough to say he had a chance? Since then he's had a great record, over 10m in transfers I believe. 2 years after leaving heavily linked with a France national team call up.

Boselli. Started 6 games. 5 at the beginning of his Wigan career. Had just signed from Argentina. Was clearly going to take time to adapt. Never got given that time. Since then scored a lot of goals and was capped by a very strong Argentina side.

For me considering a half a dozen match spell with us was the anomaly in there careers, I think it was our bad management not a bad player.
Bang on. The treatment of Delort and Riera for that matter was a disgrace. What a clown of a manager Rosler was thinking about it. Signed a pan full of duds, mixed with players who never got a proper chance and got shown right up once Roberto’s loyal soldiers left and the rest of the dressing room turned on him by the end of September.