Worrall saves Rangers | Page 2 | Vital Football

Worrall saves Rangers

Yes AC, agree your comments but still wonder how many of our youngsters make the grade. It doesn't seem to be many but I'm a bit out of touch so could be wrong. Hope I am. And it doesn't have to be good enough to play with us, if they are able to make a living out of football that would be a long way towards satisfaction.

I think across most professional clubs - particularly in the PL and Championship - there are very few young players who actually break through the academy and into the first team. That's why a few clubs like Brentford have scrapped their academy set up; the money needed to run it doesn't get a good enough return in terms of players making the grade.

Without having the stats, I would guess that we are towards the top of teams in the top 2 divisions who have given first team debuts to academy players in recent years.

At Rangers, Worrall is clearly being asked to play the ball out from the back and he made a couple of suicidal passes on Sunday. But that's all part of a young player being asked to play a certain way, making mistakes, learning from them and becoming a better player for them. Hopefully he will come back to us a much better player having gone through games like Sunday.

There is a reason why Sean Dyche saw fit to bid £10m for him and a few dodgy games during a season loan at Rangers doesn't make him overrated all of a sudden.

I think across most professional clubs - particularly in the PL and Championship - there are very few young players who actually break through the academy and into the first team. That's why a few clubs like Brentford have scrapped their academy set up; the money needed to run it doesn't get a good enough return in terms of players making the grade.

Without having the stats, I would guess that we are towards the top of teams in the top 2 divisions who have given first team debuts to academy players in recent years.

At Rangers, Worrall is clearly being asked to play the ball out from the back and he made a couple of suicidal passes on Sunday. But that's all part of a young player being asked to play a certain way, making mistakes, learning from them and becoming a better player for them. Hopefully he will come back to us a much better player having gone through games like Sunday.

There is a reason why Sean Dyche saw fit to bid £10m for him and a few dodgy games during a season loan at Rangers doesn't make him overrated all of a sudden.

Hope so...

I watched Arsenal v Newcastle last night & thought Lascelles (who is being tipped to play for England) was at fault for their 2nd.

We tend to under-estimate the value of such players & our academy has done very well for years, that said, whilst we are probably more understanding (in the short term) - there is a sense of heightened expectation far too quickly.