World Cup or Promotion? | Page 3 | Vital Football

World Cup or Promotion?

Would you rather England won the World Cup or Lincoln won promotion next season?

• England win the world cup

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Lincoln get promoted

Votes: 51 77.3%

• Total voters
World Cup. Seen the Imps get promoted twice. Never seen England get further than the semi (90.)

Much as I hate the divas of the modern game and know it would turn into a complete ego trip I want to see England win the World Cup.

My vote was based on not supporting England...I'm a lifelong Scotland supporter
Only time i would back England is when Danny becomes manager. And i actually expect that to happen in due course.
Danny will one day be West Ham manager (his obvious aim) and doubtless will succeed there as he always does.
And the FA love West Ham.

Astounded the England vote is as high as 26%, on a lower league forum. Would expect it to be fairly high on a big clubs forum with the amount of arm chair fans that follow but nothing imo comes close to that bond between man and club for those that actually go and I do go to watch England now and again. Club before county everytime for me.

Actually I would expect it to be lower on a 'big club' forum as most premier league teams seem to consider international football as an inconvenience and this transposes itself to their fans. With us and other lower league teams we are more inclined to enjoy all football as well as supporting our team and as such more inclined to want success for the national team

I love Lincoln City and love going to watch City, rain or shine. Also, I am a football fan and support the England football team. I always massively look forward to the World Cup. I cannot understand the apathy towards this competition (I am completely putting the commercial aspects out of mind).
Lincoln will always be first choice, but I have many great memories, mostly heartache, of watching England from '82 on-wards, even attending a few tournaments. Probably the only time I genuinely feel patriotic.
I would take promotion for City and a semi-final defeat for England. City are my bread and butter. Part of everyday life and the better they do, the better life is. But I will be watching the World Cup, enthralled as much as the 7 year old in '82 was.
UTI and Come on England

World Cup has always been the biggest sporting event in the world for me. There's also always been more support for the national team from lower league club supporters than from the Premier League supporters, who definitely couldn't give a monkeys. Just look at the club names on the England flags around the stadium, you'll see Bristol Rovers, Northampton, Walsall, Stockport and Southend, you won't see Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea or Arsenal.

I remember well the final of 1966, but now in my twilight years football is way down the pecking order in my life. Can take it or leave it . Might watch a few games but one thing is certain, sitting in doors watching football when the sun out in the summer is a complete no no . Apathy ? I don't think so, it's enjoying life .

By the way. You've only got 2 days left to get a wall chart to stick on the fridge door. I warn Mrs Croozey every major tournament about it. it stays on until we get knocked out. I do a deal and that is i'll only watch 1 game a day, unless she's out etc etc. I'll probably pop a St George flag out the bathroom window on match day. Will be nervous. I've already cleared all possible engagements out the way, weeks if not months ago for the England games. World cup fever takes over me i have to admit, especially if we get to the knock out stage.
Then i usually have a hissy-fit after we've lost and rip up the wall chart off the fridge and bin it. That's it World Cup over !! Much to Mrs Croozey's enjoyment as life goes back to normal.

By the way. You've only got 2 days left to get a wall chart to stick on the fridge door. I warn Mrs Croozey every major tournament about it. it stays on until we get knocked out. I do a deal and that is i'll only watch 1 game a day, unless she's out etc etc. I'll probably pop a St George flag out the bathroom window on match day. Will be nervous. I've already cleared all possible engagements out the way, weeks if not months ago for the England games. World cup fever takes over me i have to admit, especially if we get to the knock out stage.
Then i usually have a hissy-fit after we've lost and rip up the wall chart off the fridge and bin it. That's it World Cup over !! Much to Mrs Croozey's enjoyment as life goes back to normal.

You need a "man cave" where you can put you chart, then no need for any deal and watch as many games as you want. And also hissy-fit in private to your heart content. Not that England are worth a hissy-fit, IMO of course:lol:

I wonder if the results would have been different I’d asked this time last week....

I didn't vote originally because I couldn't decide, but if you'd asked me last week I absolutely would have chosen England because we were so close. Ah well, I'll have to settle for promotion :wahey: