World Cup 2018 Fred sponsored by Unfounded Optimism followed by Abject Disappointment | Page 56 | Vital Football

World Cup 2018 Fred sponsored by Unfounded Optimism followed by Abject Disappointment

We have had a good run, but our players seem to run out of steam even though they are all young. How many ex-Forest pundits have been on? Seen Jenas, Keane, O'Neill - anyone else been on?

Horrible after half time and reflective of the past 20 years of England performances. No doubt I'll get slammed for not heaping praise on them for getting to a semi final. Don't get me wrong, great first half and if they'd continued it into the second half, I'd be the first to say 'fantastic world cup'.

In reality however, they've beaten panama, Tunisia and Sweden and have found themselves out after playing a half decent team.

Certainly positivity for the future but desperately disappointed with how negative they were after half time! It was there for the taking and they lost it rather than Croatia winning it. Reminded me of the forest Blackpool play off game in some ways.

Horrible after half time and reflective of the past 20 years of England performances. No doubt I'll get slammed for not heaping praise on them for getting to a semi final. Don't get me wrong, great first half and if they'd continued it into the second half, I'd be the first to say 'fantastic world cup'.

In reality however, they've beaten panama, Tunisia and Sweden and have found themselves out after playing a half decent team.

Certainly positivity for the future but desperately disappointed with how negative they were after half time! It was there for the taking and they lost it rather than Croatia winning it. Reminded me of the forest Blackpool play off game in some ways.

Yep - you are right and to be honest I thought they come out in the second half and parked the bus - they was there for the taking but the number of sideways & back passes has become the thing of late but when you have players with pace to burn - Stirling - Rashford & Vardy you have to ask the question.

All valid points and it was heartbreaking to see it slip away.

The reality is that there is no point criticising who england have had to play though- any world cup where england have to play 2-3 top sides to win it will be a world cup they have no chance of winning. England are not that great quality wise and could only have got this far by not playing great teams.

This one was such a great opportunity simply because they only had to beat one really good side to win it. That opportunity won't come again soon- it never has before.

All valid points and it was heartbreaking to see it slip away.

The reality is that there is no point criticising who england have had to play though- any world cup where england have to play 2-3 top sides to win it will be a world cup they have no chance of winning. England are not that great quality wise and could only have got this far by not playing great teams.

This one was such a great opportunity simply because they only had to beat one really good side to win it. That opportunity won't come again soon- it never has before.

Agree with all of the above, you can only beat what's in front of you so can't criticise that! I guess I'm more frustrated by the media rather than the players with the overkill of what a great team we are. Been really positive at the back without a doubt, but found totally wanting by way of creativity!

Won't get a better chance than that for the next 20 years and while it is a young side, there isn't anybody in it really that gives me hope that we are 'one for the future' like belgium were at the last World Cup.

Agree with all of the above, you can only beat what's in front of you so can't criticise that! I guess I'm more frustrated by the media rather than the players with the overkill of what a great team we are. Been really positive at the back without a doubt, but found totally wanting by way of creativity!

Won't get a better chance than that for the next 20 years and while it is a young side, there isn't anybody in it really that gives me hope that we are 'one for the future' like belgium were at the last World Cup.

Exactly. There are no really 'special' players. No Hazards or Neymars that can produce something special when a game will be won on fine lines.

God knows how Qatar is even going to work if it's in the summer but England won't be winning it in that heat!

Sterlings decision making needs to improve for international football...Alli never looked fully fit..Rashford looked knackered when he came on and didnt replicate what Sterling was doing..Walker is never a centre back..Kane was anonymous. Looking forward to Sessegnon..Arnold and Foden to step in sooner rather than later..we desperately lacked playmakers. This run proves nothing btw..first time we played a decent team we had zero answers.

Impressed with Trippier, Maguire, Pickford, and also Kane and Henderson in the early games. Still baffled by the system. When we are on top we we have Kane supported by Sterling, Lingard, Alli and two wingbacks. When we are under pressure though, we end up with a back 5 and only Henderson (or Dier later on) to protect them. I assume Alli wasn't fully fit, as he had a poor tournament, and the other young lads ran out of steam.

Exactly. There are no really 'special' players. No Hazards or Neymars that can produce something special when a game will be won on fine lines.

God knows how Qatar is even going to work if it's in the summer but England won't be winning it in that heat!

Gonna buck the trend- think we did better because we had no 'chosen one' egos.

Sterlings decision making needs to improve for international football...Alli never looked fully fit..Rashford looked knackered when he came on and didnt replicate what Sterling was doing..Walker is never a centre back..Kane was anonymous. Looking forward to Sessegnon..Arnold and Foden to step in sooner rather than later..we desperately lacked playmakers. This run proves nothing btw..first time we played a decent team we had zero answers.

Agree but I do think we should remember Croatia have among the best midfield in the world. Modric has won more by himself than the entire England team put together. We had an injured Ali.

As you mention we have some kick ass young talent to come through- find a creative midfield player and we will really be in business.

Another failure but we did get some pride back and at least we are no longer a laughing stock.

I am using forest recruitment as a coping mechanism

Gonna buck the trend- think we did better because we had no 'chosen one' egos.

They did better because they didn't play anyone better. The 'team' ethic worked wonders against teams inferior to them.

Assuming that England in the future would have to play someone actually good to get to the same stage again, I think they will need at least one player who is a bit special to help win those tighter games.

Why did he stick with Ali when he's not even fit though, he's a bit of a luxury player fully fit loftus cheek would of given us more energy and presence was an odd decision. Kane was too quiet, took sterling off when he was more effective? We did well to get so far but there's much to learn, France I feel would of been a pounding in the final so maybe this was not such a bad time to dip out.

Agree but I do think we should remember Croatia have among the best midfield in the world. Modric has won more by himself than the entire England team put together. We had an injured Ali.

As you mention we have some kick ass young talent to come through- find a creative midfield player and we will really be in business.

Another failure but we did get some pride back and at least we are no longer a laughing stock.

I am using forest recruitment as a coping mechanism

There are certainly more positives now than when the tournament started.

The Goal Keeper came of age.

At one time it was a position that could be taken for granted, with what seemed like and endless stream of top class English keepers around; that changed over night and there has been a succession of keepers that flattered to deceive for the past twenty years.

Pickford is the real deal though; technically good, a model of consistency and the temperament to go with it.

If he continues to progress at the same rate he will be up there amongst the elite soon enough.

Maguire was certainly a success; good old fashioned Centre Half, what he lacks in finesse he more than makes up for with his attitude and commitment.

Kane will also be top class with more experience; he did very little last night but all players go missing from time to time.

He certainly could not be blamed for last nights defeat; a lack of creativity and an over reliance on goals from set pieces impacted more than Kane having an off day.

The player that surprised me more than any was Henderson; not so much for his performances but for what appears to be leadership qualities.

He became more noticeable when he was not there; the team looked disciplined and balanced when he was on the pitch, even during the second half when Croatia were clearly on top.

That changed in extra time when he went off; the team lost its discipline and shape, the game opened up, and that was always going to be to Croatia's advantage.

The negatives are exactly as they were when the tournament started; the defence is sub standard - Walker and Stones are not international class and neither is Young.

Alli looks lost on the pitch without Ericsson being there to hold his hand and Stirling is an embarrassment; running round like a headless chicken will never be a substitute for talent.

They did better because they didn't play anyone better. The 'team' ethic worked wonders against teams inferior to them.

Assuming that England in the future would have to play someone actually good to get to the same stage again, I think they will need at least one player who is a bit special to help win those tighter games.

We need both, France have both, so do Croatia. Think we lost in the middle yesterday, we need a modric

There are certainly more positives now than when the tournament started.

The Goal Keeper came of age.

At one time it was a position that could be taken for granted, with what seemed like and endless stream of top class English keepers around; that changed over night and there has been a succession of keepers that flattered to deceive for the past twenty years.

Pickford is the real deal though; technically good, a model of consistency and the temperament to go with it.

If he continues to progress at the same rate he will be up there amongst the elite soon enough.

Maguire was certainly a success; good old fashioned Centre Half, what he lacks in finesse he more than makes up for with his attitude and commitment.

Kane will also be top class with more experience; he did very little last night but all players go missing from time to time.

He certainly could not be blamed for last nights defeat; a lack of creativity and an over reliance on goals from set pieces impacted more than Kane having an off day.

The player that surprised me more than any was Henderson; not so much for his performances but for what appears to be leadership qualities.

He became more noticeable when he was not there; the team looked disciplined and balanced when he was on the pitch, even during the second half when Croatia were clearly on top.

That changed in extra time when he went off; the team lost its discipline and shape, the game opened up, and that was always going to be to Croatia's advantage.

The negatives are exactly as they were when the tournament started; the defence is sub standard - Walker and Stones are not international class and neither is Young.

Alli looks lost on the pitch without Ericsson being there to hold his hand and Stirling is an embarrassment; running round like a headless chicken will never be a substitute for talent.

Agree 're pickford and Maguire, disagree 're stones although his switch off has cost us. Defence did ok but when u play 3 at the back you need the midfield and we got sucked in narrow which gave them the space.

Kept waiting for the Croatians to tire but it was us that looked knackered, which I assume is why Henderson went off.

Agree 're Kane and young but sterling impressed me with his work rate cutting off the back pass and helping us win the ball in transition. That's not headless chicken.

Ali did disappoint but I'm putting that down to the knock in the first game.

Yes we are a work in progress but fook me progress alone is worth celebrating given the 30 years of dross.

pickford made a few saves bit cant catch the ball and half his saves go back into the box.
henderson? pff just dont see why he is rated at all
ali, did he miss the plane?
sterling, fast but cant hit barn door from 2 yards
young? fkn old
kane.. how you you argue with his record? Lools a donk compared to the best strikers tho, can you see him in a real madrid shirt?
llindgard? great goal, lots of energy for a few minutes here and there. weak
i seem to be the opposite of many, I thought our back '4' were excellent