World Cup 2018 Fred sponsored by Unfounded Optimism followed by Abject Disappointment | Page 15 | Vital Football

World Cup 2018 Fred sponsored by Unfounded Optimism followed by Abject Disappointment

Second half was absolutely dire. England players just aren't very good footballers. Sterling is a shadow of the Man City player

Kane is superb though, the only player who is deadly and only needs one chance. The rest just try to walk it into the net.

Felt like a Warburton side in the second half- sterile possession, dozens of aimless passes done more out of fear than any kind of game plan. Thank god there is one decent player up front.

Probably the game I have least enjoyed.

Tunisia were real cheats though. This VAR is really shit..

I wasn’t convinced with Southgate at first, but, I like the system, and I like the passion, I’m sold.

Agree. Finally feel like I can get behind this manager and team.

Ashly young is shit but kudos everyone else.

Ref and var a disgrace

I wish the BBC would get rid of Alan fooking shearer Contributes fook all.

Think the ref forgot his yellow cards.
Tunisia were as cynical as fcuk and how rugby tackling Harry Kane at every corner is ok, but we get a free kick against us for a handful of shirt is beyond me.

Surely the rugby tackiling of Kane can't have gone unnoticed and they'll think ...."hmmm maybe we should keep an eye out for that ?"

It's absolutely unbelievable that defenders that are not even remotely interested in watching the flight of the ball and are just intent on literally dragging their opponent to the floor can get away with it at this level.
Staggering.

I wasn't sure who the ref was so just had a quick "google". Seems he has previous for VAR "errors" and dubious decisions. Quite why someone who is prone to making such "errors" is officiating at the event that is supposed to be the pinnacle of the support is beyond me.

As for the match itself, I can see what England are trying to do. However with only 10 men on the pitch (Sterling was missing in action for 97 of the 94 minutes played and even when he was subbed off I don't think I heard his name mentioned) it's difficult to do it.

Tunisia set themselves out to not lose and almost managed it through some of the most cynical opportunism I've ever seen. Even my missus saw what they were up to so it must have been blatant!

Southgate has been pinged for taking his time in deciding that he needs to change things and tonight was no different. Alli Should have been brought off 10 minutes earlier and maybe Rashford should have started instead of Lingard.

I was impressed with Maguire. I thought he handled his nose bleeds well and played and every position on the park I think. Kane did what we needed him to and would have been at the top of the queue for the Golden Boot - assuming he would have taken the penalties that should have been awarded for the Strictly routines that the Tunisians were practising.

I'd give them 7/10 for tonight as they got the win. A lot of huff and puff and a very sterile second half. It would have been a 6 but for HK's last minute winner.

Still, a win's a win. It wasn't pretty and we'll have to be much more with it when we play Belgium next week but Panama shouldn't be able to prevent us from qualifying for the knockout phase. And then this shit gets real.

I didn't see the game but listened to the OZ summary this morning on the radio. The impression that I got from that was that apart from Kane the rest of the team didn't impress. But a win's a win always. Also listened to the Belgium game summary and it sounded as though they played well and will be somewhere at the finish.
England and Belgium to go through and then we'll see which way the cookie crumbles.

Leaves me with some doubts about Englands chances.

That referee should not get another game. Diabolical.

This game shows why VAR is going to be a blight on the game. It doesn't make decision making better because it relies on the referee to review a decision. A bunch of people in front of a TV reviewed those two corners and must have seen that there were two penalties- and yet they never said anything.

We've already seen Ronaldo dive for a penalty and the ref never even reviewed it.

All that happens is more penalties given with less consistency.

That referee should not get another game. Diabolical.

This game shows why VAR is going to be a blight on the game. It doesn't make decision making better because it relies on the referee to review a decision. A bunch of people in front of a TV reviewed those two corners and must have seen that there were two penalties- and yet they never said anything.

We've already seen Ronaldo dive for a penalty and the ref never even reviewed it.

All that happens is more penalties given with less consistency.

Could be wrong, but my understanding is the VAR has a ref who is supposedly monitoring everything, so surely he's even more to blame than the ref on the pitch. Both of them should be sent home. Each team should be allowed 3 failed appeals per game (similar to cricket & tennis), and the decision should be made by the VAR ref. The pitch ref walking off to a little booth is a complete waste of time.

They keep saying if you give that there will be ten penalties a game. Well there might be for one game, but surely even footballers would have the brains to not rugby tackle after that. Time it was stamped out, and we might get more goals from corners.

I didn't see the game but listened to the OZ summary this morning on the radio. The impression that I got from that was that apart from Kane the rest of the team didn't impress. But a win's a win always. Also listened to the Belgium game summary and it sounded as though they played well and will be somewhere at the finish.
England and Belgium to go through and then we'll see which way the cookie crumbles.

Leaves me with some doubts about Englands chances.

England played fairly well, but other than Kane our finishing was dreadful. Hopefully in the second round of matches we will find that Tunisia are far better than Panama, so Belgium's win wasn't anything special. Not sure how the last 8 works out, but if we get through we will play someone from group H Poland/Senegal/Colombia/Japan, so don't think it's too vital whether we finish top or not.

Just got back.

Highlights for me were Trippier, who was putting in quality balls all night and Kane who did his job despite some absolutely cynical ‘defending’.

The rest of them were pretty much bang average with both Alli and Lingard being largely anonymous. Special mention for Ashley fooking Young who should never pull on an England shirt again.

VAR is going to wreck this World Cup with how badly it is being applied. No excuses can be made for missing those blatant penalties whil giving the Walker one.

Ref was garbage and shouldn’t officiate again.

Other than that it was a great start for us. ?

Could be wrong, but my understanding is the VAR has a ref who is supposedly monitoring everything, so surely he's even more to blame than the ref on the pitch. Both of them should be sent home. Each team should be allowed 3 failed appeals per game (similar to cricket & tennis), and the decision should be made by the VAR ref. The pitch ref walking off to a little booth is a complete waste of time.

That's what I was meant.

Both Kane incidents last night were reviewed by VAR.

Either they didn't believe it was a wrong decision or they were too shit scared to tell the referee he had made a mistake.

Any decent referee should have given them anyway without the need for technology. The fact that two or more people sat at a TV screen and watched replays of two blatent penalties, in exactly the kind of incident that FIFA said was going to be clamped down on, and no penalties were given just shows that it doesn't work.

All that's going to happen is that referees are going to get worse and worse as they rely on this new unreliable technology and then be utterly useless when they have to step down to a level like the championship that doesn't use it. You'll have EFL refs who are far better than top flight ones

Collina as head of referees Will get this right before the end of the World Cup. The VAR officials don't make the decision they only advise the referee to look again if they think they have made an obvious mistake. What needs ironing out is the total inconsistency between perceptions of a foul as we saw with walker and the two Harry Kane incidents you cannot give such an innocuous one and then leave two blatant assaults unpunished. One game where someone is brave enough to punish ever foul in the box will sort this out almost immedietly. Oh and how is Ashley Young in that team ahead of Danny Rose never once tries to beat his man on the outside ak
Lays just cuts back onto his right foot.

I have had an idea; it probably wants working on but here goes:

Why not have a referendum that stops the National side playing in all of these competitions against foreign sides?

Look at the benefits:

No more wasting millions bribing Johnny Foreigner to vote for them holding World Cups and Championship tournaments only to see them go and vote for the great unwashed - the dividend from that must be worth at the very least 35m per week.

No more being subjected to blatant cheating by foreign referees backed up by flawed technology which was probably developed by the cheating Germans/Italians/Spanish/Chinese/Americans/North Koreans - delete in accordance with your prejudices .

Not having to watch those Spanish and Germans scoring goals at will only to see them refusing to let England score goals of their own; there is clearly no place in the game for such unsportsmanlike behaviour from foreign bastards.

Future competitions will be restricted to England and the Crown dependencies - Channel Islands, Isle of Man and the Falkland Islands - and will be financed by Sky and BT for billions and will be constantly referred to as the greatest competition in the World.

I appreciate that more work is needed but this one has wheels

I've seen Tunisia play a couple of times before and that it what their game is all about. They are the most cynical team in Africa and arguably in world football perhaps bar a couple of Latin American teams when they're getting a bit feisty,

Surely England's scouting team would have seen this.

Tunisia won't get a ref as weak as that again. I thought he was poor in both directions and Belgium should be able to win by at least 2, thereby putting them in pole position to win the group as I can't see England winning playing like that. I'm not even sure they deserved to win the game.

Would take out Walker or Trippier for Cahill, Young for Rose, Sterling for Rashford and Lingard for Loftus-Cheek.

Think that would be our strongest 11.