Work | Vital Football

Work

Not anymore but worked on the roads tarmacking for 32 years till I had a bad accident at work 2 year ago do miss it though.

gator - 12/11/2013 10:02

Not anymore but worked on the roads tarmacking for 32 years till I had a bad accident at work 2 year ago do miss it though.

bet the money was decent too eh? whenever i see workmen on the motorways overnight i always wonder how much they're on. A wedge i reckon!

That's what I used to do Lee I was getting 50k a year my mates who I worked with for years are on about 60k now.

how often did you have to work? was it something like 4 nights on 4 days off? thats decent money!

Every job is different for instance when we worked on the m6 at Stoke and the m5 at Halesowen we were doing ten straight shifts off the belt but it was midnight before we got on site most nights because of the sheer volume of traffic we had to wait till it died down and we had to be off site at 4am so we were only doing 4 hours a night but we only got two days off.But it's not always motorway jobs there was a whole variety of jobs from busy town centre work or quiet country roads but you never had specific times to work to it was more of a case right this job has to be finished in 4 days or a week etc and as long as the job was done by dates provided nobody cared less how many hours you put in it was up to us.

did you get the same pay? or was it all the same. ie: would you get more for being on a motorway at 12am than being on a nice country road at 3 in the afternoon?

Every job was paid differently we weren't on salary some paid really well some paid shite you had to take the rough with the smooth but it's a job you have to make while the work is there because the work dries up in the winter months.

LOL sure did when I was 16/17 hated it though it was boring when I got really pissed off I would signal to the other lad I had put mine on stop so when he started letting his through I would let mine through used to cause chaos with all the traffic snarled up it was really hard to keep a straight face.

haha thats the kind of thing i would do... though mine wouldnt be on purpose! id probably have the stick the wrong way round and cause a right old accident!

Distribution manager (Logistics/personnel/project and change management/quality management)

I have a very broad spectrum of responsibility, which is great for having a good overview but I'm not so sure that one becomes particularly expert in any particular field.

I used to do tarmacing, but I quit because of sexual harassment

Everytime I bent down I got my asphalt !!!

Boom Boom !!!!

holtelower - 12/11/2013 12:57

Boom Boom !!!!
Your missus is going to go mental when she finds out you have been opening the crackers

gator - 12/11/2013 22:18

holtelower - 12/11/2013 12:57

Boom Boom !!!!
Your missus is going to go mental when she finds out you have been opening the crackers

Hahahaha

As a number of you know, I had to come back to the UK due to an investment going tits up, so I'm working again now - for a while - "Reping" for a tobacco company.

As a tax inspector put it to me twenty years ago, I am pursuing my hobby as an artist.