Work hard and win the game | Page 10 | Vital Football

Work hard and win the game

Does this mean anything though?

I liked the way 'A fish called Wanda' ended with the French word 'FIN'.

If it was anyone else then no. But Because it's him i say he's a goner.

He's called everything since the greeks took over. He's close to EM's people. Gotta be with stuff he's said in the past.

Thoughts on today:

Fray and Laws stressed pre-match the importance of who scored first – after 2 minutes, Ioannou perfect cross, Mighten good header, Marshall somehow touched it onto the bar. Turning point right there.

Ioannou maybe not so good for their goals, but basically a back four who’d hardly had time to say hello. Forest very poor defensively for 20 minutes, Dawson roaming the touchline seemed to concentrate minds and we improved slightly. 2-0 down should have buried us.

Wonder strike by Freeman got us back into it, but Ameobi had an off day and Blackett was poor first half. Mighten kept being cynically fouled but the ref was slow to get the yellow cards out.

Forest didn’t lie down. Second half we should have at least equalised – more heroics by their keeper, Grabban put a header wide, several good blocks by defenders which only produced corners from goalbound shots. We could also have conceded a third on the break – one superb save by Samba late on.

I thought Blackett improved as the game went on – and Sow, after looking like he was after an instant red, settled down and added weight to our attacks. Christie showed class with that run and shot. If we weren’t pointless after 4 games, and if we’d got the draw we deserved, I’d say well done.

Just to add, they were also a form team having won 3 previous games. If he is gone he is gone but i do think our squad has potential but 7 new players with no real pre-season is gonna have an impact no matter who is in charge.

As someone who has supported sabz, even i was tearing my hair out at the subs yesterday.

Stupid substitutions and bizarre selection in the first place. Shuffling the back 4 like that is suicide. As Pope said, tombola defence.

Crazy, like a man taunting the owner.

I can only think that we can't afford to pay him off

We've tried taking the unusual way out of a slump by replacing pretty much the whole team and that hasn't worked. The club hierarchy now have to decide whether to take the more usual option when things are going badly and replace the manager / coach or wait a bit longer to see if things look up, but can't really them see him being given much longer. My real concern is that when / if he goes is who they get to replace him, I fear they will go with yet another foreign unknown (to us), when what we really need is someone who knows Championship football, the players, and can send the players out on the front foot to take the game to the opposition from the start for a change

Problem is, if you were Hughton or Howe etc would you want to come here? We were seen as a basket case club under Fawaz but even though the club is being run better in numerous ways we still seem to be a basket case club. When the squad needs evolution it either gets fuck all and goes backwards or it gets revolution.

Not a chance we will get a well known manager if and when SL is sacked.

I really don't see the point of sacking Lamouci if the club are going to replace him with some cheap foreign import , might as well stick with what you have and a lot cheaper for the time being.I must reiterate that either way I am cool with , it is just if the club has no plans to get an experienced manager I would rather stick.

I really don't see the point of sacking Lamouci if the club are going to replace him with some cheap foreign import , might as well stick with what you have and a lot cheaper for the time being.I must reiterate that either way I am cool with , it is just if the club has no plans to get an experienced manager I would rather stick.
Yes it would be like an orchestra, you assemble a group of good competent musicians and then appoint a conductor who doesn't know how many beats in a bar and can't read music

Problem is, if you were Hughton or Howe etc would you want to come here? We were seen as a basket case club under Fawaz but even though the club is being run better in numerous ways we still seem to be a basket case club. When the squad needs evolution it either gets fuck all and goes backwards or it gets revolution.

Not a chance we will get a well known manager if and when SL is sacked.
I was thinking that.

However, O'Neill came. At the end of his career, no need for the money or to manage ever again and no qualms about turning forest down.

The terms offered to him must have been attractive, and I am talking about level of control and influence over transfers rather than pay.

If we can work towards someone like O'Neill then someone like Hughton or Pearson may well be able to live with this regime

I was thinking that.

However, O'Neill came. At the end of his career, no need for the money or to manage ever again and no qualms about turning forest down.

The terms offered to him must have been attractive, and I am talking about level of control and influence over transfers rather than pay.

If we can work towards someone like O'Neill then someone like Hughton or Pearson may well be able to live with this regime
I think the romance of it called to him. I have no doubt he was well compensated but O’Neill is from a different era. An era where club affiliation meant more to players. I would be shocked if a part of him hadn’t always fancied the idea of managing us.

O’Neill was also yesterday’s man though and I doubt he would have been fielding many offers.

Hughton could pretty much have his pick of Championship sides with his record and I would be surprised if he wouldn’t want more control than we are prepared to give.

Pearson is bat-shit crazy so who knows but he would probably suit us to a tee albeit he would either get us promoted or wreck us!

With the right offer we could get a good experienced manager but I doubt we would be prepared to make and honour the sort of promises they would demand.

Going to be a tense week or two though that is for sure. Our owner is so unpredictable we could as easily come out of the international break with SL still in charge as we could with a new manager to wonder about.

I think the romance of it called to him. I have no doubt he was well compensated but O’Neill is from a different era. An era where club affiliation meant more to players. I would be shocked if a part of him hadn’t always fancied the idea of managing us.

O’Neill was also yesterday’s man though and I doubt he would have been fielding many offers.

Hughton could pretty much have his pick of Championship sides with his record and I would be surprised if he wouldn’t want more control than we are prepared to give.

Pearson is bat-shit crazy so who knows but he would probably suit us to a tee albeit he would either get us promoted or wreck us!

With the right offer we could get a good experienced manager but I doubt we would be prepared to make and honour the sort of promises they would demand.

Going to be a tense week or two though that is for sure. Our owner is so unpredictable we could as easily come out of the international break with SL still in charge as we could with a new manager to wonder about.
Romance or not, O'Neill would not have been willing to accept a position in which he would have minimal control over transfers. My point is that if the set up was acceptable to him then we are clearly willing to offer arrangements that others would be likely to accept as well.

I wasn't advocating for any one particular candidate, more using those as examples of traditional managers (rather than head coaches) that would probably still be in play despite our structure

Romance or not, O'Neill would not have been willing to accept a position in which he would have minimal control over transfers. My point is that if the set up was acceptable to him then we are clearly willing to offer arrangements that others would be likely to accept as well.

I wasn't advocating for any one particular candidate, more using those as examples of traditional managers (rather than head coaches) that would probably still be in play despite our structure
You may be right but I am not convinced as he was past his sell by date so would have had less leverage. However it was though I think O’Neill would likely be seen as a failed experiment as was Karanka.

Both would have been expensive and our owners have seemed to want to do things on the cheap and retain control in the last season or two.

The irony is that if they did pick up someone like Hughton and give him a degree of control they would probably get what they wanted and it would also cost us less than it has trying to do things on the cheap.

I commented at half time yesterday that Sabri needed to go after yet another largely woeful 45 minute display. I felt he‘d lost the dressing room with his continued negative tactics. However, in fairness the 2nd half was the best performance for some considerable time and was deserving of a point at the very least.

if we are going to change, it makes sense to do it now in the break and give the new gaffer a couple of weeks to assess the squad. If its not going to happen immediately I’d be tempted to give Sabri 2 more games to see if yesterday’s 2nd 45 was a one off or he has finally loosened the shackles and we can kick on.

if I was Sabri I’d be cursing Grabban, if he’d stuck half of the chances that have come his way this season we’d be sitting on 4-6 points and he would have some breathing space.