Words you can't stand | Page 6 | Vital Football

Words you can't stand

Yes. Good point. In the same league as the robbed/burgled one.

Being pedantic, I'm also irritated by the misuse of "hung" when people mean "hanged" as in when they receive that particular death sentence.
Pictures and curtains are hung.
People are hanged.

Ps. I accept people can be hung. It's when it is misused that it bugs me.

A similar past-tense misuse (and again, I think this is the Yanks royally nausing up our language) is using the non-existent term "dove" for "dived"

Sorry Jokerman, you've completely lost me there. Never heard of what you are talking about, whatever that is. Too complicated for me. Can you give me a Noddy version?

OK, at the risk of mansplaining,

There is a tendency for certain people to explain things to other people as if the other people are ignorant, frail, morons while these certain people think they have an authoritative handle on how things really are in the real world. Mansplaining in this sense would be an opinionated man going on about rape or abortion to women -assuming that he had the real handle on things and they did not. Feminists see this an aspect of patriarchy. I am not unsympathetic to the insight on which the term is based.

However, it is used -in Guardian discussion threads, for example, as a put down which closes off arguments by delegitimizing the person making the argument -an identity politics move. For example, on a piece on the Wolfe Tones in the paper today, people who happen to be British, happen to know something about Ireland, and who suggest that the history of Anglo-Irish relations is more complicated than the story put forward by Irish republicans get called tansplainers -a reference to the Black and Tans.

It's not a big deal, although it is the "good guys" using the techniques they accuse the "bad guys" of using. But it bugs me (if I may use that Americanism on this thread).

Use of the word ‘mate’ by a person who is definitely not your mate.

It may be that the word mate does not need to reference a friend/mate.

The term is in the main a naval/dockyard derived term and can just mean a guy as in ‘i saw old matey down the pub’ or alright mate as a greeting to any medway chav.

There is a tendency for certain people to explain things to other people as if the other people are ignorant, frail, morons while these certain people think they have an authoritative handle on how things really are in the real world. Mansplaining in this sense would be an opinionated man going on about rape or abortion to women -assuming that he had the real handle on things and they did not. Feminists see this an aspect of patriarchy. I am not unsympathetic to the insight on which the term is based.

However, it is used -in Guardian discussion threads, for example, as a put down which closes off arguments by delegitimizing the person making the argument -an identity politics move. For example, on a piece on the Wolfe Tones in the paper today, people who happen to be British, happen to know something about Ireland, and who suggest that the history of Anglo-Irish relations is more complicated than the story put forward by Irish republicans get called tansplainers -a reference to the Black and Tans.

It's not a big deal, although it is the "good guys" using the techniques they accuse the "bad guys" of using. But it bugs me (if I may use that Americanism on this thread).
Could have summed that all up with the verb, to "Wayne" 😂😂😂
Only kidding 😉

Yes, got it now. Agree btw.

American tautology grinds me too, e.g. "taxi cab", "eye glass", "neck tie", or when referring to places always naming the country, even though it is blatantly obvious from the context that "London (is in) England" or "Paris France".

To be fair to the Yanks here, there are loads of different Paris and London's all across America. Used to live near London, Ohio for example. There's a Paris in Texas. Milan, Versailles and Lima in Indiana etc etc. So it does need qualifying sometimes.

Yes Trashbat. The apostrophe issue is a major irritant. People randomly throw in apastrophes when it is a plural, eg "there are several house's in the street". Aaaaaagh.

"super excited" makes me want to punch the person in the face

Totally agree - saw an interview on the BBC News website with Stormzy yesterday where he said “Britain was super in denial” and he was “super glad” that he’d sorted out his spat with some no-mark rival, which I think proves the point.

To be fair to the Yanks here, there are loads of different Paris and London's all across America. Used to live near London, Ohio for example. There's a Paris in Texas. Milan, Versailles and Lima in Indiana etc etc. So it does need qualifying sometimes.

My point is that they still use it when the context is obvious that the Paris, London, Rome etc are the real ones and not some two-bob backwater in Ohio or Michigan.