Words you can't stand | Page 9 | Vital Football

Words you can't stand

On a similar note every week of games in the EPL is called a “Round”. Another Americanism I believe.

That never used to be a thing because not every week every team played for various reasons. And there’d be the odd week where some teams played a midweek game others didn’t.

On a completely unrelated matter, does anyone know how many EPL clubs are currently owned, or part owned by American consortiums or individuals?

funnily enough I’ve always felt referring to the Premier League as the EPL and football league as the EFL to be a bit of an Americanism in itself (NFL, NHL, NBA, etc). Particularly with the EFL this is down to branding / marketing which is a significant entry point for many Americanisms into English English.

My professional association in the US is called The International Studies Association. Everywhere else sticks their country's name in front of it -e.g. British International Studies Association. Members have raised this from time to time, but the response from the majority is a blank stare.

At one level, I'm very keen on British English resisting Americanisms. At another, I'm not sure it's important. I'm always struck by the Americanisms that show up as above, even as people object to them. Incidentally, ringing people, as opposed to calling them, is pretty firmly established over here now as is, among younger people at least, cheers for thanks. We also have 'no worries' from Australia. I'm trying to get my US colleagues to accept "fuck off" as lighter expression than they assume it to be, but I'm encountering difficulties.

. I'm trying to get my US colleagues to accept "fuck off" as lighter expression than they assume it to be, but I'm encountering difficulties.

Maybe have a go at drilling home to them that the term "****" is not solely intended to be used towards females and is a unisex term - if anything it should generally be used towards blokes(/guys).

It's still generally a bastardisation of our language, so I think it is quite magnanimous!
Actually, American is a reflection of English as spoken at the time of the Pilgrim Fathers etc. So, words like 'gotten' have remained in the language whereas it has dropped out of usage here.

Last edited:
Now 'fight' to mean 'argument' has reached British drama.

If you hadn't been paying attention, you might be expecting dishevelled clothes or bruising or even blood ......
.... instead of just hurt feelings or a bit of angst !

across "the pond" . slightly bigger than that . you wont see many frogs or newts sitting on rocks in the Atlantic ocean

Taking things "onboard" instead of saying "understood"..... which is a perfectly good word and has been used by many generations to good effect.

Last edited:
I'm just a soul who's intentions are above board
Oh Lord, please don't let me not be taken on board.

Doesn't work, does it.
I like that Jokerman.

Saw Nina Simone sing that song at Ronnie Scott's circa 1984. Brilliant performer but mad as a sack of frogs. A close second to Joni Mitchell for me as my favourite female artiste.