Words you can't stand | Page 8 | Vital Football

Words you can't stand

One of my favorite drives -Skipton, Kettlewell, Hubberholme where Priestly's buried, and then through the fabulously-named Langstrothdale Chase over to Hawes. Then a fast(er) run back via the Ribblehead and Settle.
Nearly bought a cafe/b & b in Kettlewell. The drives are spectacular. Met my MP in Masham and did a big arc back to Hawes - then on to Ribblehead and drive to Ingleton for a pint of Wainwright [appropriate in the circumstances]. Back in the UK tonight so will sort out that DVD

Inquiry instead of enquiry and principle instead of principal are others I see. Those are excusable, saying president instead of precedent isn't!

I had to correct WK's use of "historic" rather than "historical" once :(

Last edited:
At least posters on here listened in English class....:rolleyes:

'I was sat watching the game' ' I was stood waiting for the bus'.

No you weren't ffs. No one else positioned you.
By your own action ... you were 'sitting' ..... 'standing'.

And a political one (USA again)....
People describing themselves as 'liberal' .... while telling others what to say, think or how to behave.

Just been reminded of another irritant. Putting "y" and the end of everyone's name. Now spread to cricketers whom I (snobbily?) thought would know better.

Read post match interviews after the Test win and it's littered with "Stokesy" "Rootsy" " Bessy". Ffs, give me a break. Couldn't bring myself to read through the whole lot.

Trashbaty, where do you stand on thisy?

Last edited:
Just been reminded of another irritant. Putting "y" and the end of everyone's name. Now spread to cricketers whom I (snobbily?) thought would know better.

Read post match interviews after the Test win and it's littered with "Stokesy" "Rootsy" " Bessy". Ffs, give me a break. Couldn't bring myself to read through the whole lot.

Did you ever watch Mike Bassett: England Manager? I couldn’t find the clip, but there is a scene where Mike is calling every player by this surname suffixed with a ‘y’ - except for one player... ...I think he was called Smalls.

Can anyone find that clip, or did I imagine it?

Just watched it again a couple of weeks ago as it happens. Can't remember which player. Yes, brilliantly littered with football stereotypes. Funniest bit was Scotland losing to Ethiopia.

Great clip. It was when one of the players got the sulks and it was because he didn’t have a nickname.

As for adding “y” to everyone’s name?
Good job you don’t live in Oz Gills58.

If you are not Davey, Smithy or Jonesy, you are Davo, Robbo or Deano. Not a lot of imagination when it comes to nicknames.

Great clip. It was when one of the players got the sulks and it was because he didn’t have a nickname.

As for adding “y” to everyone’s name?
Good job you don’t live in Oz Gills58.

If you are not Davey, Smithy or Jonesy, you are Davo, Robbo or Deano. Not a lot of imagination when it comes to nicknames.
I was going to say that the Aussies have been doing it for years in cricket. I remember when stump microphone first appeared, all I remember hearing was "bowled Warno" every delivery that Shane bowled.

Another late addition for me is the term "Round of 16". The concept in itself is another slightly irksome pointless Americanism; however, I don't have a huge issue with Americans using Americanisms themselves for their own sports. What I do have an issue with is this being recently introduced and used for international sporting tournaments, when it was never used previously and "Last 16" was the correct and accepted term. Even worse is that I have heard this used by English/British people for our own domestic sports.

It is a bit like the introduction and usage of the American "season" for television programmes, when people mean "series" - as in "first series" not "first season". Again, I have no issue with Americans inventing and using their own terms for things, but the introduction and use of such terms by clueless goons in the UK for effect is cringeworthy.

Good all ST. Another major irritant. They'll be calling the final the round of two at this rate.

Ditto "season" instead of series. I suppose our football season will become a series ffs.

Good all ST. Another major irritant. They'll be calling the final the round of two at this rate.

Ditto "season" instead of series. I suppose our football season will become a series ffs.

On a similar note every week of games in the EPL is called a “Round”. Another Americanism I believe.

That never used to be a thing because not every week every team played for various reasons. And there’d be the odd week where some teams played a midweek game others didn’t.

On a completely unrelated matter, does anyone know how many EPL clubs are currently owned, or part owned by American consortiums or individuals?

I have heard Quarter Finals referred to the Round of 8 in the States - fortunately, I don't think even the most clueless would adopt that, rather than the very well established and traditional "Quarter Finals", in the UK, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear it soon!