Words you can't stand | Page 7 | Vital Football

Words you can't stand

I'm having a wonderful time getting this all off my chest. Happy as Larry, me.

Keep it coming everybody. As Trashbat said, it's good therapy.

Or asking the cashier “can I get a ...” implying they want to jump over the counter and get something themselves.

Everyone says that in belfast without fail. Dont know why it annoys me but it does. I just get a blank look if ever i point it out

Over any period of time language changes, if it didn't we would be speaking French, Anglo Saxon or Celtic.

We seem to have almsot exactly the same thread on here about twice a year. "Things i hate", "things that annoy me but shouldnt", "words that annoy me". It seems to be when you're all at your happiest. You're just a bunch of moaning old men, really!

🤣🤣

I knew it wouldn't be long before someone started being negative.

My point is that they still use it when the context is obvious that the Paris, London, Rome etc are the real ones and not some two-bob backwater in Ohio or Michigan.

Yes, like Boston, Lincs. Why add Lincs. when everyone knows you don't mean the nickel and dime operation in Mass?

I've noticed how Yanks just say the town or city they come from as if everyone would know where that is. They might add the state but not say USA.

Although I'm from London (obs Gillingham originally) I usually say England first and then London.

I feel like saying Wigmore to the next Yank who asks and appear insulted if they don't know where it is.

I've noticed how Yanks just say the town or city they come from as if everyone would know where that is. They might add the state but not say USA.

Although I'm from London (obs Gillingham originally) I usually say England first and then London.

I feel like saying Wigmore to the next Yank who asks and appear insulted if they don't know where it is.

Absolutely right.
Think of the songs -New York, New York
Chuck Berry going on about Philadelphia PA

People tend to add the state, very often with emphasis like the snap of a winning card taking a trick. Not sure why although we underestimate the importance of state identity to them going right back to the colonies.

Can't think of equivalents here. Rainham, Kent and Gillingham, Kent are for fairly obvious reasons.

Imagine saying York, Yorkshire. We'd think you were daft, although the older generation might say Bingley, West Riding with a bit of emphasis.

When asked I say Medway Towns -between London and Dover. That gives them some idea. If I start up about the original Rochester, they lose interest quickly.

There is little point in bemoaning the fact that the English language now belongs to America and those who learn American English worldwide. We are as Portugal is to Brazil.

It is also worth noting that much of the vile use to which our language is put originates in the world of business and we can't blame the US for all of that. Business management speak is the culprit here but why, oh why are so many so eager to embrace it. It doesn't make you sound cool, David Brent at best.

I have less argument with the hybrid language spoken by the young. It's the product of new people and new peoples and its destination is unclear. It's quite funny sometimes.
Sick!

So...... I've been outed as a grumpy old man. I may as well get this one off my chest. I can't abide Hi guys, have a nice day (now morphed into have an absolutely lovely day), is everything all right for you etc, etc. I can't stand "service". There, I've said it service is loathsome, at least that sort of service. I preferred basic politeness and an equal exchange. I even enjoyed an old bike shop owner in Morley reminding me that he didn't have to serve anyone unless he wanted to. I've lost that one altogether but North Africans in France get it.

He had to add 'PA' to rhyme with Frisco Bay - a malus point for you on that one.

Fair does, but how about
"There's a pawnshop on the corner in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania"
"You'll see Amarillo, Gallup New Mexico, Flagstaff Arizona...."

not forgetting the famous Rod Stewart hit
"Bangkok, Tokyo (passion),
Moscow, Idaho (passion)"

Least I think that's how it goes.

So...... I've been outed as a grumpy old man. I may as well get this one off my chest. I can't abide Hi guys, have a nice day (now morphed into have an absolutely lovely day), is everything all right for you etc, etc. I can't stand "service". There, I've said it service is loathsome, at least that sort of service. I preferred basic politeness and an equal exchange. I even enjoyed an old bike shop owner in Morley reminding me that he didn't have to serve anyone unless he wanted to. I've lost that one altogether but North Africans in France get it.

Remember this chap?
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...quits-his-shop-hawes-steve-bloom-bloomindales

Now Hawes is populated mainly by bikers, I doubt they're missing the bookshop.

One of my favorite drives -Skipton, Kettlewell, Hubberholme where Priestly's buried, and then through the fabulously-named Langstrothdale Chase over to Hawes. Then a fast(er) run back via the Ribblehead and Settle.