Words you can't stand | Page 4 | Vital Football

Words you can't stand

The word ‘dancer’ in the song called ‘Human’ by the ‘The Killers’. Doesn’t make any sense.

Pronunciation of the word dance in all music so that it rhymes. Only notable exception I can think of is song called ‘Murder on the dance floor’.

"Props" in the context of giving someone respect or credit for doing something well. Where did this come from? And why?

Soccer - just had a row with an Aussie in the streets of Hanoi 2 days ago over this.

Welcome to my world.

Been trying to enforce “football” for 30 years.

The trouble is, football over here is Rugby League or AFL exclusively (except among the true football fans). So if ever you talk to anyone who’s not into football, they think you are talking League or AFL.

It is very hard to resist saying “no, I mean soccer”. I like to tell them it’s the only game of true FOOTball. The others use hands predominantly and should be called handball.

That gets to them for 5 mins, until they counter with “well, at least our games are played by true men, not snowflake prima-donnas who cry like soccer players”. That’s hard to counter as well.

Super as a substitute for really. As in I'm super hungry or that's super great. Americanism that's being used more and more.

Super as a substitute for really. As in I'm super hungry or that's super great. Americanism that's being used more and more.

Or just as bad, on that front, is the American (and fake American/American wannabes - particularly poshos in the City) use of adjectives for adverbs, so with your example "I'm real hungry" rather than "really".

Has anyone mentioned the idiotic usage of "Can I get (usually pronounced "ged")?" by similar twats - usually when ordering some fake American poncey sandwich involving smoked salmon and avocados, which is always "on" a certain type of bread (usually "rye" whatever that is), when surely a sandwich filling is "in" bread or just a "ham" or "chicken sandwich" for most normal people.

American tautology grinds me too, e.g. "taxi cab", "eye glass", "neck tie", or when referring to places always naming the country, even though it is blatantly obvious from the context that "London (is in) England" or "Paris France".

"Triggered" and the way it's used these days.

My understanding is that this is a word that has fairly serious connotations in terms of mental health issues. People dealing with past traumas can often slip into a state of anxiety or depression if something reminds them of it and they feel threatened by it.

But these days it's used on social media if someone does something as simple as reacting or responding to something that was intended to be inflammatory. Whether the reaction is over the top or measured, you see people taking great joy and pride in the fact that they've managed to illicit any kind of response "Haha! You've been triggered!"

It makes me think of the annoying kids at school who would claps their hands an inch away from your face and then punch you for flinching "Haha! You flinched!"

Theres a "buzz phrase" going around at work at the moment whereby any sort of new system is reviewed by saying "we're just waiting to see what that piece of work looks like".

Grips my shit every time (there'll probably be someone who will add that to their list)

I get a lot of emails which mention "reaching out" - when "contacting" would have been quite sufficient and far less irritating. Also, any talk of a "journey" when no one has physically travelled anywhere.

Welcome to my world.

Been trying to enforce “football” for 30 years.

The trouble is, football over here is Rugby League or AFL exclusively (except among the true football fans). So if ever you talk to anyone who’s not into football, they think you are talking League or AFL.

It is very hard to resist saying “no, I mean soccer”. I like to tell them it’s the only game of true FOOTball. The others use hands predominantly and should be called handball.

That gets to them for 5 mins, until they counter with “well, at least our games are played by true men, not snowflake prima-donnas who cry like soccer players”. That’s hard to counter as well.
I've been correcting my in-laws for close to 20 years on soccer, and I suspect they continue to deliberately use it to wind me up. On the few occasions the Mrs watches football and a couple of players are squaring up to each other, she'll ask me if they'll hit each other with their alice bands.

I don't get the Aussies shortening practically every word either. 'Wanna bevvy this arvo'. I suspect their attention span doesn't lend itself to pronouncing full words (think I'm safe, the Mrs doesn't read this forum...)

No, yeah, look dudes - so, at the end of the day to be honest with you we've all been on this journey which is literally, like mind numbing for us erudite Gills fans innit mate.

I get a lot of emails which mention "reaching out" - when "contacting" would have been quite sufficient and far less irritating. Also, any talk of a "journey" when no one has physically travelled anywhere.

I first heard this stupid term about 3/4 years ago when dealing with a contact in the US, so presume it originates there, like a lot of wanky terms. And, as with most, it soon gets picked up by clueless impressionable American wannabes - hear it used over here quite often now. My instinct as a principled Brit is to avoid and resist such Americanisms at all costs and continue to use proper English in response no matter how much I am deluged with such annoying jargon and catch-phrases.

Theres a "buzz phrase" going around at work at the moment whereby any sort of new system is reviewed by saying "we're just waiting to see what that piece of work looks like".

Grips my shit every time (there'll probably be someone who will add that to their list)

When being interviewed on tv people saying "I'm buzzing".

No you're not, you're not a fucking Bee.