Word of the Year | Vital Football

Word of the Year

Suzie Dent ( I would ) was on talk radio today speaking about new words that are created in our language. She has a podcast with Giles Brandreth which I haven't listened to yet but intend to. Some may find it boring but we kind of take it for granted. We are probably using new words quite regularly without noticing. PODCAST for example. As technology moves forward, new words have to be created.

In my opinion , which we all know doesn’t count for much , the word for this year, last year or any year you can think of is .....
BOLLOCKS .
It’s a word that has so many meanings , can be used in almost any context , and just really sounds good .
Somebody who who is excellent at something can be “the dogs bollocks “
Something that is not good can be “ a load of old bollocks “
Stub your toe and you can just shout “bollocks “ in pain .
Forget something and you can just say “oh bollocks I forgot my keys “
Somebody else who forgets something important can be described as “silly bollocks “
If you don’t make sense , you can be described as “ talking bollocks”
If something goes wrong it can be “ a kick in the bollocks”
In defiance of something you can just say “ bollocks to it , I don’t care “
Someone who is fearless has “real bollocks”
It just goes on and on . Brilliant word . A word for all seasons

I try to bring some culture and education into the discussion and look where it goes....I give up.
You ain’t got a chance of culture wiv me an greavesie . What were you thinking of Nick?
Sorry greavesie , I think I’ve brought you down to my level there . Very unintentional I have to say

Ok, I'll try again. You can have answers to where phrases like pull your leg, chance your arm and others came from. Susie Dent also mentions the dogs bollocks. She seems to like the word, I like the way she gets her tongue round it.

Ok, I'll try again. You can have answers to where phrases like pull your leg, chance your arm and others came from. Susie Dent also mentions the dogs bollocks. She seems to like the word, I like the way she gets her tongue round it.
Hope that’s not word play Nick !
there is a brilliant you tube video where she talks about the word CU Next Tuesday