Woodyard, do we miss him on the pitch? | Page 4 | Vital Football

Woodyard, do we miss him on the pitch?

I know every good side needs a Fernandinho type player, who sits and breaks things up and gives it to more skilful players to do the real damage .... but give me a Pett or back to his best Freck any day of the week. Woodyard’s assists and goal ratio was dismal but he did a job of sorts I suppose?

Hope we get Posh at home in the FA Cup, he won’t get a welcome return from me I can tell you.

That's a somewhat revisionist take on history, his 'job of sorts' was to be the most consistent, influential player across 2 remarkable seasons.

As such, should he ever return in opposing colours, I and all other grown ups will give him the warm welcome he deserves - and hope his side get a stuffing.

Back to the OP - clearly he would have been a big asset in the current squad, probably holding down the role O'Connor has performed pretty well recently. But the speed at which the style of play, and the personnel making it work, has evolved at such a rate that the 'fight them on the beaches' Woodyard/Bozzie midfield suddenly seems very old hat. We've all moved on, seemingly to the benefit of all.

I’ve not once thought we could do with Woodward in there right now, so I would say no.

Very good player though and played a key role to help us get to where we are, the move probably has suited both parties.

I’ve not once thought we could do with Woodward in there right now, so I would say no.

Very good player though and played a key role to help us get to where we are, the move probably has suited both parties.

A bit more transfer money for him would have been welcome, though.

I've been thinking about this... is it a lucky coincidence or did DC sign Tom Pett knowing Woodyard was offski at the end of the season? DC this weekend highlighted Pett's ability to 'rat around' in the midfield and praised his ability to break up the opposition's play - things that were never highlighted when he was signed.

If I recall correctly, DC turned Woodyard from a winger into a midfielder who 'rats around' and breaks up play. Pett's not the same player, of course, but I'm seeing a pattern... he was touted as a forward and was played on the wing last season but never convinced and, as far as I know, played a far more central role for Stevenage anyway.

It must have been either a conscious decision or a very lucky coincidence, and I don't think DC does coincidence.

I don't think it was a coincidence either, albeit not necessarily to fill Woodyard's position. It was pretty obvious that Pett and Freck were with this season in mind and that Woodyard would more than likely be off, especially after the Luton rumours in January.

Don't think anyone really saw Pett playing the role he is at the minute, so kudos to him and DC/NC for their work in the summer. His performances at the minute are certainly one of a midfielder who can muck in and still keep things ticking over. Usually at this level you get one or the other.

I like the term "Rat around". :lol:

Although that will mean we will have to be slightly careful when "Putting the vermin to the sword".
'Rat around' - copyright Dennis Booth aka 'Ratter' who allowed Dave Smith to play like Pirlo. Pett is an amalgam of the 2, he can spot a pass like Smudger, doesn't (yet) run a game in the way Smudger could, but does his share of the fetching and carrying, which was below Smudger's dignity, that's what his Ratter was for.

Woodyard's passing was underrated, he played some gems, but Pett's seems to consistently ask more questions.

Wouldn't fancy trying to put 'Ratter' to the sword though....