Women's Football (World Cups, WSL, Villa, the lot) | Page 3 | Vital Football

Women's Football (World Cups, WSL, Villa, the lot)

At the end of the day it comes down to choice. Watch it or don't watch it. Women's football is here so accept it.

Tried watching it during the world cup, but had zero emotional attachment to it. Can't see myself watching Aston Villa ladies unless I had a friend or relation in the team.

As with anything in sport these days they are trying to grow the brand to make money out of it. This has nothing to do with equality for the money men.

You don't get it. There have always been girls interested in playing football. And they've always been put off it. You've only to look at the dinosaurs inhabiting the FA to understand why. And there have always been women interested in the sport, even if they don't play. There are women who contribute to these threads (in spite of comments like yours) because they find the game entertaining and welcome they are too.

Now, thankfully, things are changing. Girls in school and beyond have more options than before; the women's game is being treated seriously and supported. Why is it a good thing? Because everybody who wants to play a sport should have the chance to. At one time women's tennis was laughed at. Not any more.

Now we have a developing professional game. Villa has always been strong on the community, in a way few other clubs are. That's why we should be leading the support for the women's game, not holding back.
Mc Parland, I said in the post that I dont like women commentators and pundits on the mens game. My own daughter played for her school team twenty five years ago when it was not fashionable for girls to be allowed to play. She went on to play for a number of female teams that were about at the time. She goes to Villa Park with her daughter on occasions and still goes down the local to watch us when we are on Sky, as she no longer lives in Birmingham.
I dont care for womens football, but dont denigrate it, Im just not interested in it.

You’ve said ‘leave our game alone’, what makes it our game? Women are involved in all aspects of the game from the women in the ticket office to the physios on the bench, I’m sure the men on the pitch are grateful of their contributions. Dismissing women like they shouldn’t be involved at all but like I said, I know one female footballer who would embarrass you with a ball, she’d embarrass me too.

The women’s game will never be as good as the men’s just like women’s tennis isn’t as good, white runners aren’t as good as black runners, black swimmers aren’t as good as white swimmers etc. Genetics. But there’s no reason why they can’t play and be involved. Men’s football has been going for over a century and has developed into the game we see today. I’m sure with more investment, sponsorship and development in the years to come they’ll have a great game to watch too.
Please refer to my comments to Mc Parland above. Oh and by the way your comments re black runners and swimmers is very close to what you accused me of in your opening post. I however wont make the huge leap that you accused me of when you started throwing around the words racist, bigot and stated that I probably didnt like gay people either. As for the "our game" comment its the mens version off it, and I like it the way it is. And anyway I thought in your last post you were ignoring me.

Mc Parland, I said in the post that I dont like women commentators and pundits on the mens game. My own daughter played for her school team twenty five years ago when it was not fashionable for girls to be allowed to play. She went on to play for a number of female teams that were about at the time. She goes to Villa Park with her daughter on occasions and still goes down the local to watch us when we are on Sky, as she no longer lives in Birmingham.
I dont care for womens football, but dont denigrate it, Im just not interested in it.
I would just add to the above and say that it was very unfashionable at the time and if you and others take issue with my comments you should have been around back then and listened to the abuse that was dished out to the girls and people like me running the line from blokes that openly verbally abused anyone involved.
I am still not interested in the womens game.

I have done a sensible post .

I can't help myself.....

If they get their baps out when they score and we get to see them lezzing off in the showers after, I'd watch it, ok. Otherwise I'm not interested.

There. Feel so much better. :grinning:

Please refer to my comments to Mc Parland above. Oh and by the way your comments re black runners and swimmers is very close to what you accused me of in your opening post. I however wont make the huge leap that you accused me of when you started throwing around the words racist, bigot and stated that I probably didnt like gay people either. As for the "our game" comment its the mens version off it, and I like it the way it is. And anyway I thought in your last post you were ignoring me.

You don’t have to be interested but to say ‘leave our game alone’ when we have women involved in all aspects at the Villa is just wrong. I’m sure you’ve rang up the ticket office and had a lady answer on many occasions, just one small example of how they’re involved in ‘your’ game and your club. Lorna McLelland was the first player liaison officer in football, providing support for new recruits from abroad who struggle to adapt, I’m sure people like Juan Pablo Angel appreciated her work and I’m sure you enjoyed Angel’s goals once he was finally settled.

Don’t try to turn it on me. It’ll be a black male and female who wins the London marathon next Sunday, a black male and female won the New York, Chicago (Our own Mo Farah) and Berlin marathon for example. The top Olympic swimmers are all white, these are just facts. As for women’s tennis, I enjoy watching it and I’ve been to many a grand slam women’s match, I enjoy the men’s game more but I also very much enjoy watching the women’s game in its own right. I hope that women’s football can become like that. The more decent football there is available to watch, the better and having good Villa side to watch would be a bonus.

Just putting it out there, are people aware our Ladies team play at the same level as the Men's team currently, ie. the second tier?

You don’t have to be interested but to say ‘leave our game alone’ when we have women involved in all aspects at the Villa is just wrong. I’m sure you’ve rang up the ticket office and had a lady answer on many occasions, just one small example of how they’re involved in ‘your’ game and your club. Lorna McLelland was the first player liaison officer in football, providing support for new recruits from abroad who struggle to adapt, I’m sure people like Juan Pablo Angel appreciated her work and I’m sure you enjoyed Angel’s goals once he was finally settled.

Don’t try to turn it on me. It’ll be a black male and female who wins the London marathon next Sunday, a black male and female won the New York, Chicago (Our own Mo Farah) and Berlin marathon for example. The top Olympic swimmers are all white, these are just facts. As for women’s tennis, I enjoy watching it and I’ve been to many a grand slam women’s match, I enjoy the men’s game more but I also very much enjoy watching the women’s game in its own right. I hope that women’s football can become like that. The more decent football there is available to watch, the better and having good Villa side to watch would be a bonus.
Read the original post . It is you that made a massive leap and started hurling racist and homophobe around. There was nothing in the post to support your language. It is you who sees these things that dont exist. I repeat, I thought you were ignoring me. Please do.

Do the ladies team get to train at all with the men at all? Seems like an easy way of progressing their skill without costing a penny.

Read the original post . It is you that made a massive leap and started hurling racist and homophobe around. There was nothing in the post to support your language. It is you who sees these things that dont exist. I repeat, I thought you were ignoring me. Please do.

‘Well you can all get stuck into me, but I dont care.’ Clearly you do.

Did I call you a homophobe? Did I call you a racist? No. I said what you’re saying about women in the game is similar, what you’ve said is sexist. Accept you’re wrong and move on.

Last edited:
Yes i am. I hoped they would do better this year. Man Utd have took a lot bigger interest lately. It tells you a lot IMO

Do you not think Man U’s sudden interest is down to their neighbours ploughing lots of money into it, building them a stadium to play in and being successful? Certainly not a bad thing having such a big club doing so but I imagine seeing City doing what they’re doing has forced their hand a little.

Football is everyone’s game. What you’re saying is similar to saying ‘I don’t want any blacks in my game’, ‘I don’t want any gays in my game’. I was chatting to a lovely female season ticket holder in the Piccadilly Tap after the game yesterday in Manchester, the more the merrier for me.
Please read the above, your words," similar". You were straight in with the above comment drawing a parallel with racism and homophobia. Just maybe it is you who should accept you are wrong and move on.

Please read the above, your words," similar". You were straight in with the above comment drawing a parallel with racism and homophobia. Just maybe it is you who should accept you are wrong and move on.

That’s because there is a parallel ??‍♂️ my days.

Really. Therefor you just refrained from actually saying it and prefered to hide behind other words. Anyway happy Easter, had enough of going round in circles.

I don’t know if you’re a racist, I don’t know if you’re a homophobe. But sexist comments like what you’ve made are similar to racist or homophobic comments, they’re all unwarranted. I’m not hiding behind anything, just ‘drawing a parallel’.