Women in Science day - Emmy Noether | Vital Football

Women in Science day - Emmy Noether

weejockmcplop

Vital Champions League
Have you ever heard of Emmy Noether?
Probably not. Einstein said she was "the greatest mathematical genius since the higher education of women began."
At the time when she was invited by the worlds greatest mathematicians to join them because they needed help solving some of the paradoxes thrown up by Einsteins theories of relativity, she was still working UNPAID as a professor because she was a woman and couldn't get permission to be a full paid professor.
She ended up solving the paradoxes in relativity and in doing so discovered one of the most fundamental theories in the whole of physics (Noether's Theorem), which explains how and why quantities such as energy are conserved due to fundamental symmetries in nature.
Mathematician Hermann Weyl said, “I was ashamed to occupy such a preferred position beside her whom I knew to be my superior as a mathematician in many respects."
Noether's theorem is still fundamental to our understanding of physics to this day. Not only that, but her theory is a really beautiful and interesting thing to learn about.

We have come so far since those days, but its thanks to people such as Noether that representation in science for women has increased so much over the last century.