Winter Transfer Window Thread | Page 20 | Vital Football

Winter Transfer Window Thread

Yeah, I think Lewis will have known anyway but when you can't get on the bench when you can only name four, only one of which being a senior player, then the writing is on the wall.

Also mentioned Theo is injured, out for 3 weeks or so with a calf injury.

Strangely for a small squad that is one area we are not short of bodies. I reckon about 8 have played in the wide positions of the front 3 this season.

A small sample size of just one game but an article on SWB r.e. Edun against Posh.

https://staceywest.net/2021/01/12/passing-stats-v-peterborough-analysed/
Really interesting article and stats re Tayo. I’ve held my hands up lately and said I was very hard on Tayo in the first 12 - 15 games. I think that was on the basis that, when he did give the ball away it was sometimes one of those horrendous 😱😳 moments when I put my hands to my mouth and uttered ‘oh what is he doing’ when he seriously exposed the defence. He also went missing at times when he got caught out of position in his eagerness to get forward and again exposed that flank to a counter attack. However, the last 6 or 7 games have shown a great turn-around. Bearing in mind his age and relative lack of experience, plus his desire to fit the MA role of an attacking FB, he has really risen to the challenge and his game is developing tremendously. His all round contributions to games has risen (IMHO) from an average 6 to 7.5 and he is clearly now an integral part of the make-up of MA’s team. I am still in two minds about a replacement LB but, due to the improved consistency in recent performances, a lot less so. My thinking was a) how good is he at LB against Championship standard players, and b) we could be using him as an attacking left-sided midfielder, possibly to greater effect. On balance I am quite happy, for now, to see out the season as we are (with Melbourne & Roughan as back-up).

Wouldn't be too surprised if Leeds didn't recall Gotts due to lack of playing time.
This is a difficult one. He has made 12 appearances so far, including 9 starts. I can only see him becoming a regular first team starter through injuries to others.

However, I'm not sure who they would lend him to if they did recall him. Bielsa will want him in a footballing side, which probably means no lower than League One; would he play more regularly elsewhere? He could go elsewhere and end up not playing at all. And is there a better coach for young players than MA? He has quite a reputation.

Wouldn't be too surprised if Leeds didn't recall Gotts due to lack of playing time.

Quality is important as well as quantity.
I think he has improved since he has been here. When he plays it's in an important league match at the top of the table or a later stage of a cup competition.

I would be surprised if he left.

I think he has improved since he has been here. When he plays it's in an important league match at the top of the table or a later stage of a cup competition.

Also depends on Leeds thoughts about if he is Right Back or Midfielder. They might prefer to see him used in the position they see is best for him as opposed to where MA believes he is best.

Common sense for me is that he stays as playing 2 positions would surely give him a good insight into different aspects of the game and also he is playing at a high level in the Top End of League 1 so like you say Quality is just as important as quantity.

Personally I would be more concerned about Eyoma being recalled than Johnson, though I doubt it would happen since he's playing virtually every game, league and cup. We at least have a number of forward options, which isn't quite the same as at right back.

Personally I would be more concerned about Eyoma being recalled than Johnson, though I doubt it would happen since he's playing virtually every game, league and cup. We at least have a number of forward options, which isn't quite the same as at right back.
I would be astounded if they recalled Eyoma. As you say, he is playing practically every game, and his chances of playing in Spurs' first team at the moment are nil. No point in taking him back to play in insipid development football again. The only problem could be a Championship side wanting him.

I would be astounded if they recalled Eyoma. As you say, he is playing practically every game, and his chances of playing in Spurs' first team at the moment are nil. No point in taking him back to play in insipid development football again. The only problem could be a Championship side wanting him.

He's developing and doing well but imo he's nowhere near Championship level just yet. He needs to work on his physicality and aerial dominance if he wants to play CB and needs to work on technique and delivery if he wants to be a RB at that level.

He is doing well with us at L1 level and I would be surprised if Spurs recall him.

Oh yes, I would be amazed if he was recalled too, I meant more along the lines of how losing him would disrupt our team, and would cause more of an imbalance than if for example Johnson was recalled. I don't think it will happen, as much as anything because how could Spurs not be happy with how we're treating him? Yes, Johnson has been fantastic for us, but if he does go back to Forest we have multiple other players who can step in; much less so the case if we were to lose TJ. Just conjecture, of course. Hopefully we don't have any loanees recalled!

Beginning to develop and had a good game last night - he should stay as he will get more first hand experience of playing first team football here than he will at Leeds - and there could be at least another 3 cup games to go.

The other thing that comes out of Gotts' interviews is that it is first time away from home. He is learning to be self-reliant, is settled in with a group of players and his development as an individual is probably as well served staying here as starting that process all over again somewhere else.

The other thing that comes out of Gotts' interviews is that it is first time away from home. He is learning to be self-reliant, is settled in with a group of players and his development as an individual is probably as well served staying here as starting that process all over again somewhere else.

Yes, you forget what it's like to be young.

Interesting to read the article in the echo about the EFL financial package being less that anticipated, I wonder what knock on effect this will have on the recruitment plans for January?