Winter Transfer Window Thread | Page 19 | Vital Football

Winter Transfer Window Thread

I think we should bring in a proper right back and left back for the run in. players that are championship class that will be with us next season, with one eye on us getting promoted. Neither position has anyone performing well enough to ever be in the top 3 or 4 when we come to rating the players. Edun did it recently against poor opposition. Eyoma has got better and better, and would be good cover as right back and centre back.

Absolutely, never did agree with this plan of bringing in young players to develop. Get your cheque book out Clive and buy an experienced group of players on decent Championship wages. How are we going to compete with Sunderland and co otherwise.

Absolutely, never did agree with this plan of bringing in young players to develop. Get your cheque book out Clive and buy an experienced group of players on decent Championship wages. How are we going to compete with Sunderland and co otherwise.
im just looking at obvious areas where the 'team' can improve.

im just looking at obvious areas where the 'team' can improve.
Don't have a problem with improving the team, that's what we will be trying to do but it will be with players that can develop into what we want not ready made Championship players.

The point is we can't afford to just go out and buy a couple of fullbacks that are already recognised as that.

Not sure we are just going to nip out and find a player better than Eyoma (with his 3yr contract with Spurs). More likely we might hope to find someone who had the potential to do the job as well as he already is, but that we can afford to acquire on a permanent deal.

It’s good that he’s not being written off and people see he’s developing. It’s easier to be patient when we’re top but we’ve written off many a player and I’m sure we’ll write off more.

The concern is depth. To expect Roughan to be a regular at 17 is too much but he looks a top talent. I don’t personally see Max Melbourne as a top L1 left back, he’s a backup as is proven by his appearance numbers. To give Edun stronger competition could help him push on more but we have 3 in that position so on the numbers side it can be difficult to justify a fourth LB.

Don't have a problem with improving the team, that's what we will be trying to do but it will be with players that can develop into what we want not ready made Championship players.

The point is we can't afford to just go out and buy a couple of fullbacks that are already recognised as that.

Not sure we are just going to nip out and find a player better than Eyoma (with his 3yr contract with Spurs). More likely we might hope to find someone who had the potential to do the job as well as he already is, but that we can afford to acquire on a permanent deal.
i think the situation at the start of the season and now is different though. Eyoma isnt ours and isnt a right back, he's done an ok job and got himself dsome game time, that his parent club will be pleased with, but i think we can find a better right back. Even Harry is better. Looking at our league position, it would be worth a punt.

i think the situation at the start of the season and now is different though. Eyoma isnt ours and isnt a right back, he's done an ok job and got himself dsome game time, that his parent club will be pleased with, but i think we can find a better right back. Even Harry is better. Looking at our league position, it would be worth a punt.

All about opinions - I rate Eyoma a good bit higher than you - which is fair enough.

If he were in our price bracket which I doubt - I would snap him up.

Good young player - will only get better I would have thought

All about opinions - I rate Eyoma a good bit higher than you - which is fair enough.

If he were in our price bracket which I doubt - I would snap him up.

Good young player - will only get better I would have thought
I agree with that. But other than that financially don’t see it makes sense to get in a RB to keep Eyoma out of the team

It could well be that the suggestion that transfer business could be brought forward from the summer to this month is to consider the replacements for the loan players who we won't have come next August (and perhaps in the league above where we currently are.) To that end a RB will be required

Just listening to MA. Things might or might not happen before next Tuesday. They'll keep pushing. I think we can talk to players with contracts expiring in the Summer? If so I wonder whether that's what we might have lined up and looking to negotiate a small fee to bring them in early. No idea who though - just a theory.

A small sample size of just one game but an article on SWB r.e. Edun against Posh.

https://staceywest.net/2021/01/12/passing-stats-v-peterborough-analysed/

I think most people are pretty accurate in their perceptions of Edun. On Saturday, just about everyone I've seen said he was awful in the first 10 minutes but improved after that. Surely Edun would agree with that? One of Edun's problems is that when he is off it regarding his passing, he gives it away in ridiculous fashion (see the pass straight to the Peterborough player on the edge of the area) or makes the same failed pass attempt again and again (normally passes down the line). We all know he has lots of good qualities - his touch and his passes into the middle to name two.

to sling his hook?

(didn’t catch the interview)
Can't remember the exact wording but pretty sure it involved one of the following phrases regarding his chances of playing: no prospect, zero, two hopes - Bob and no. You get the picture.

Yeah, I think Lewis will have known anyway but when you can't get on the bench when you can only name four, only one of which being a senior player, then the writing is on the wall.

Also mentioned Theo is injured, out for 3 weeks or so with a calf injury.