Winter Transfer Window Thread | Vital Football

Winter Transfer Window Thread

In other words, we will have to sell our best players in January if a rescue package is not forthcoming before then.

Incidentally, the window opens on 2 January and ends on 1 February.

Appleton has said that a decision by forest on johnson will be made early, which will at least avoid a month of Walker-like speculation on that issue. And give us time to think about how to replace him if he does go back.

Johnson is a top player, but if Forest recall him he can be replaced. We have Scully, Archibald and Elbouzedi who can play in his position ( perhaps not quite as good but a close run thing)

My main concern is that we still have Alex Palmer on our books come February 1st. If Albion recall him, and the way their goalkeepers are doing at the moment it cannot be ruled out, replacing him with comparative quality will be difficult

Johnson is a top player, but if Forest recall him he can be replaced. We have Scully, Archibald and Elbouzedi who can play in his position ( perhaps not quite as good but a close run thing)

My main concern is that we still have Alex Palmer on our books come February 1st. If Albion recall him, and the way their goalkeepers are doing at the moment it cannot be ruled out, replacing him with comparative quality will be difficult
He has done well at ł1 level. I suppose there is a chance he could be recalled to go out to a championship club. The Liverpool highlights might put a dampener on him moving straight into the level of the wba first 11. And then there is the Appleton-wba special relationship to take into account - in favour of us keeping him.

I'd actually be surprised if he's recalled. MApp knowing the Johnson family will help and I can't see Hughton pinning his hopes on a 19-year old out on loan at a L1 Club.

WBA might recall him if they are allowed to play x2 keepers in the starting 11. That might give them a slim chance of survival.

Interview in today's Times with Sam Johnstone, WBAs current first choice and producer of "one of the goalkeeping performances of the season last Saturday". Don't think there's much danger of Palmer being recalled unless there's an injury problem.

Appreciate the worry is those going out but it's a striker coming in for me. Clearly Mapp wanted a proper forward alternative to Hopper, hence Morton and then Soule which unfortunately haven't worked out with injuries!

Rate hopper but if we found a finisher as an alternative too we'd be scary

With no sign of fans returning and no financial rescue, we might need to sell, but not sure who will be buying.

Appreciate the worry is those going out but it's a striker coming in for me. Clearly Mapp wanted a proper forward alternative to Hopper, hence Morton and then Soule which unfortunately haven't worked out with injuries!

Rate hopper but if we found a finisher as an alternative too we'd be scary

Is Morton nearly fit yet?

Looking ahead of January, I'm not sure what other people's thoughts are but there's not really anything aside from a striker we could probably do with?

I know some think LB isn't quite as strong at the right and a TJ on the left would be nice but I don't think it's weak enough to warrant spending money on when we have three who can play there and the little money we probably do have needs to be directed in a main area of the pitch.

I'd imagine Lewis and Bradley will remain out on loan, maybe Howarth out to get game time as well?

Two factors are in play for me come January

Firstly :- Callum Morton's injury. If he can come back the striker issue is in hand. If he's going to be out for several more months a replacement will be needed.

Secondly :- Outgoings. We are pretty well set across the squad but should we have offers which we can't refuse for the likes of Grant or Montsma they will need to be replaced.

So if Morton is fit and we don't get any offers for ours (including loan recalls), I don't think there will be much activity

I just hope we don't accept pocket change for Montsma in the window, he's on a 3 year contract after all.

Providing our board have the financial wherewithal to last out the season in current circumstances, then they will be able to refuse all but the properly valued bids for Montsma. And how much would a proper valued bid be? I'd start at £2 million upwards.
And he could easily be a £50 million player in a few years time.

Sean Roughan is the other highly sellable asset and also could be a seven figure player in due course.

In both their cases (and any similar ones) we must hope that cast iron add on clauses are included, decent cuts of future sales, international appearances and so on.