Winter Transfer Window Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

Winter Transfer Window Thread

For what it’s worth I think MA is looking further ahead than this season. I think the next two windows will be wholly about developing a team to be competitive in the championship. For that reason I reckon a goal-scoring striker and a ‘natural’ LB (can we get Toffolo back) will be his main targets, not just for this season but for the next one. Anything else will be determined by whether we lose anyone and have to replace them. But as usual, all will be determined by the budget.

Think people might be right - no business unless Morton's recovery isn't great/likely (doesn't sound like it has been thus far).

If that is the case, I'd expect another higher league loan? Randomly throwing some names (2+2=5):

Jay Roy-Grot - Leeds link, big striker who might do Hopper role. Only loaned out to Holland so far. Downside - not scored loads of goals anywhere, which is obviously our main criteria! He played a little bit in the Championship for Leeds so might be that level, although when Leeds weren't great...

Sydney van Hooijdonk (or similarly random signing from Holland!) - Son of Pierre- we must have watched a fair bit of Eerste Divisie to come up with Monstma so how about a young striker from there? 14 in 43 for NAC Breda but interesting in so far as a lot of the prolific forwards in that division seem to be Dutch journey men, or have been on loan/ in the youth setup of an Ajax, PSV or Feyenoord.

Sydney has said the Premier League is the ultimate aim and that "he won't consider his career a success unless he plays in England."

Odapa Afolayan - like Scully (and Coventry) from West Ham u23s. Hard working and had loan at Mansfield last year, but never got a consistent run of games... which probably isn't a good sign. Scored this week for West Ham u23s against Man United but might not be level we need.

Rayhaan Tulloch - West Brom forward on loan at Donny - but only played once in the league. Promise of more games if we fancied him might be appealing but can't see it.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about any of these players bar 5 mins googling, it's just meant to be fun!

Last edited:
To chuck another name into the hat with no real substance other than guesswork.............how about Morgan Rogers from Manchester City.

There is a WBA link as Man City bought him from their youth team last year so I assume MA knows him.

Strong striker who if you went to the youth game between us and West Brom a couple of years back was the best player on the pitch at the age of 16

To chuck another name into the hat with no real substance other than guesswork.............how about Morgan Rogers from Manchester City.

There is a WBA link as Man City bought him from their youth team last year so I assume MA knows him.

Strong striker who if you went to the youth game between us and West Brom a couple of years back was the best player on the pitch at the age of 16

Interesting... Looks like he's described a winger in a few places but that might not actually be that insane - wouldn't shock me if Zack for instance went out on loan and we upgraded

Interesting... Looks like he's described a winger in a few places but that might not actually be that insane - wouldn't shock me if Zack for instance went out on loan and we upgraded

He played very much as a number 9 in the Youth game for Albion. Strange place Man City though so they might have tried to 'adapt' his game

Didn’t tulloch start the season in/around donny first 11 then get injured. Been out ever since, A bit like Morton

Think people might be right - no business unless Morton's recovery isn't great/likely (doesn't sound like it has been thus far).

If that is the case, I'd expect another higher league loan? Randomly throwing some names (2+2=5):

Jay Roy-Grot - Leeds link, big striker who might do Hopper role. Only loaned out to Holland so far. Downside - not scored loads of goals anywhere, which is obviously our main criteria! He played a little bit in the Championship for Leeds so might be that level, although when Leeds weren't great...

Sydney van Hooijdonk (or similarly random signing from Holland!) - Son of Pierre- we must have watched a fair bit of Eerste Divisie to come up with Monstma so how about a young striker from there? 14 in 43 for NAC Breda but interesting in so far as a lot of the prolific forwards in that division seem to be Dutch journey men, or have been on loan/ in the youth setup of an Ajax, PSV or Feyenoord.

Sydney has said the Premier League is the ultimate aim and that "he won't consider his career a success unless he plays in England."

Odapa Afolayan - like Scully (and Coventry) from West Ham u23s. Hard working and had loan at Mansfield last year, but never got a consistent run of games... which probably isn't a good sign. Scored this week for West Ham u23s against Man United but might not be level we need.

Rayhaan Tulloch - West Brom forward on loan at Donny - but only played once in the league. Promise of more games if we fancied him might be appealing but can't see it.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about any of these players bar 5 mins googling, it's just meant to be fun!
Repeat mission to the Dutch league makes sense imo. maybe even for more defenders, who were born playing the ball out from the back.

Think the Board meeting is today?

On another note, if a players contract is mutually terminated, does that count towards the salary cap? Or does it only take into account current deals?

On another note, if a players contract is mutually terminated, does that count towards the salary cap? Or does it only take into account current deals?

Would have thought it should be an amount paid out over a given period.

Therefore if you aren't paying someone, it isn't increasing the salary figure.

But that's just my guess.

I woukd think it’s only money paid out including any contract termination pay off

Appleton has said that a decision by forest on johnson will be made early, which will at least avoid a month of Walker-like speculation on that issue. And give us time to think about how to replace him if he does go back.
An early decision by Forest, so a couple of hours before the deadline... I guess it’s better than normal.

An early decision by Forest, so a couple of hours before the deadline... I guess it’s better than normal.
I'd be surprised if Johnson was recalled, he's getting regular game time here and working on the weaker aspects of his game. He's much younger and inexperienced than Walker and not yet ready for the Championship. Unless of course Forest are desperate and think he can make an impact from the bench, but it would be a panic move.

I'd be surprised if Johnson was recalled, he's getting regular game time here and working on the weaker aspects of his game. He's much younger and inexperienced than Walker and not yet ready for the Championship. Unless of course Forest are desperate and think he can make an impact from the bench, but it would be a panic move.

I'm not sure. Panic yes, but I think I'd like all available options if I was Forest. Depends what other business they plan to do I guess - but if the recall option is early maybe they'd recall and then potentially loan out again towards the end of the window based on other planned business landing or not.

I was talking to a Forest ST holder at work the other day and the first thing he said was they were expecting Johnson back in January.

When you are hovering around the relegation places, you are bound to be looking for changes and bringing back Johnson is an obvious one. For slightly different reasons they did a similar thing with Walker last year, even though they soon realised he wasn't the answer.

Whether it's the best decision for Forest or Johnson is a different thing but would imagine it will probably happen.

The good thing is we should be in a good position to attract a decent replacement with our league position and evidence of giving these players plenty of chances (Eyoma, Gotts, Palmer as well as Johnson)...

and Morton will hopefully be ready to do his annual umpteen goals in last few games of the season trick.

I'll be very surprised if Johnson is recalled, he is not good enough for the Championship at this point in his career. Chris Hughton is no fool, although I hope he bears us no ill will for the embarrassment of 2017-18.

Was great getting him in the first place from them. However knowing how Forest have messed us about over the last few seasons I wouldn’t be surprised for them to recall Johnson and to not even feature for them off the bench.

I'm not sure. Panic yes, but I think I'd like all available options if I was Forest. Depends what other business they plan to do I guess - but if the recall option is early maybe they'd recall and then potentially loan out again towards the end of the window based on other planned business landing or not.
Maybe they will want him back as they prepare for L1 life!

I'll be very surprised if Johnson is recalled, he is not good enough for the Championship at this point in his career.

Looking at the Championship table, that wouldn't necessarily rule him out of getting in their side. 10 Goals in 17 league games.

He wouldn't have to fall over in the box too often to improve on that record.

He's played well for City, but hasn't scored many & Forest need a player that can score goals, they have players that can play well.