Winter Transfer Window Thread | Page 17 | Vital Football

Winter Transfer Window Thread

I agree on the left back - Edun has done well the last few games but he isn’t a natural left back.

I haven’t once seen him run down the left with purpose, do a quick 1-2 with the winger, like Tofolo used to do. He just always seems to pass the ball back inside.
Then you havent been watching. Our formation is different but think Jones's goal v Rochdale, Hopper's v Wombles.

I agree on the left back - Edun has done well the last few games but he isn’t a natural left back.

I haven’t once seen him run down the left with purpose, do a quick 1-2 with the winger, like Tofolo used to do. He just always seems to pass the ball back inside.

Toffolo joined us on a free and 18 months later, left a much better player and worth £500k.

It will be 18 months before Edun reaches the age Toffolo was when he joined Huddersfield.

Then you havent been watching. Our formation is different but think Jones's goal v Rochdale, Hopper's v Wombles.
Sorry but those two goals are nothing like what I was describing (I just watched them again 😉 - just watch the first 10 seconds of the Rochdale sky highlights to see him take the ball back inside instead of running with the ball).

I’m talking about pushing forward with the ball, running against the opposition - you only have to see what the right hand side of our team plays like to know Edun is just filling in at left back. Nothing against him, I think he is a good player in midfielder. Tofolo always looked like a left back.

Last edited:
Toffolo joined us on a free and 18 months later, left a much better player and worth £500k.

It will be 18 months before Edun reaches the age Toffolo was when he joined Huddersfield.
That’s an interesting timeline... here’s a bit more detail on it
Toffolo age 18. Full season for a top 4 league one club. Played in the play offs
Toffolo age 20. Full season for a top 4 league one club. sub in the play off final.
Edun is 22.

Toffolo had six months with us playing at a comparable level, but 18 months to a very high standard. from virtually day 1 it was consistent. Week in week out. Also toffolo was always a full back - even at other clubs. I get the feeling Edun prefers to be seen as a midfielder, and now needs convincing by Appleton that he is a left back.

Last edited:
Sorry but those two goals are nothing like what I was describing (I just watched them again 😉 - just watch the first 10 seconds of the Rochdale sky highlights to see him take the ball back inside instead of running with the ball).

I’m talking about pushing forward with the ball, running against the opposition - you only have to see what the right hand side of our team plays like to know Edun is just filling in at left back. Nothing against him, I think he is a good player in midfielder. Tofolo always looked like a left back.
If you say so, though in both instances the goal involved a ball played in from Edun from the left wing. As much as TJ is doing a great job at RB, he rarely, if ever, looks to play the final ball.

Your 'issues' may be tactical instructions, MA may not want the sort of approach you describe. We're top of the league, so it seems to be working.

If you say so, though in both instances the goal involved a ball played in from Edun from the left wing. As much as TJ is doing a great job at RB, he rarely, if ever, looks to play the final ball.

Your 'issues' may be tactical instructions, MA may not want the sort of approach you describe. We're top of the league, so it seems to be working.
You must not have been watching yesterday, when eyoma put the ball on a plate to scully inside the six yard box. No fault of eyoma that the ball didn’t end up in the net.

I find it odd that MA would say the right side of the park could do it but the left couldn’t 🤨! Anyway we are all entitled to our opinion.

But if you did a vote on here for which position we needed to recruit for the most, I bet left back would win.

Last edited:
That’s an interesting timeline... here’s a bit more detail on it
Toffolo age 18. Full season for a top 4 league one club. Played in the play offs
Toffolo age 20. Full season for a top 4 league one club. sub in the play off final.
Edun is 22.

Toffolo had six months with us playing at a comparable level, but 18 months to a very high standard. from virtually day 1 it was consistent. Week in week out. Also toffolo was always a full back - even at other clubs. I get the feeling Edun prefers to be seen as a midfielder, and now needs convincing by Appleton that he is a left back.

Toffolo was 23 when he joined Lincoln and before playing for us he had had a few loans but only played 30 games for Swindon when he was 19 and 20 games for Scunny when he was 21. He wasn’t considered a nailed on automatic choice for either team

Toffolo was 23 when he joined Lincoln and before playing for us he had had a few loans but only played 30 games for Swindon when he was 19 and 20 games for Scunny when he was 21. He wasn’t considered a nailed on automatic choice for either team
18 when he signed for Swindon. They were top 4 all season - comparable to our position now. That’s 30 games in a top four team at 18. 30 games is more than any other left back, so I would call that first choice. And 20 more two seasons later. Which puts him way ahead of Edun, at a younger age, which is the point I was making, do you not think?

In the interests of full disclosure, I did post on here a few weeks ago - after the Shrewsbury league game I think - that Tayo had proved he was a good CM but no LB.

After that match MA made his comments about no one claiming the LB position and Tayo has played very well there since.

In terms of experience, he's a long way behind Toff when DC signed him, and Toff was far from the finished article - defensively suspect was the general view.

I trust MA if he thinks Tayo has shown enough to hold the position. If funds are limited, I'd rather it was spent on attacking options, particularly to give Hopper back up.

It could be tactical, only those in the club will know. For sure, TJ generally gets more protection down the right from HA or Scully. Johnson isn't always as generous in helping Edun down the left.
Personally, I'd probably look to get another left back. But, Tayo certainly isn't as bad as some on here would have us believe. He does alright in a position that isn't really natural to him. I'm sure MA originally said he was a midfielder that could play left back, not the other way around. I know Jonny isn't picking him out as such, but plenty are quick on the enter button when he makes the slightest error.

Have to say I was very hard on Tayo because it was obvious early doors he wasn’t a natural LB and had a couple of games where he really suffered. He is also prone to giving the ball away with Hollywood passes which have seriously exposed the team. However, as happens, he has played really well at LB for the last four or five games since MA issued the challenge, including an MoM performance. He is developing into a really good player - not the finished article by any means, but getting better. That said, if we are going into the Championship there will be more regular challenges and I do think we need a stronger, more natural LB to cope with the increased challenge. I can see him as a left sided midfield player but think, at the moment, he would get less game time as there is more serious competition than for LB.

Have to say I was very hard on Tayo because it was obvious early doors he wasn’t a natural LB and had a couple of games where he really suffered. He is also prone to giving the ball away with Hollywood passes which have seriously exposed the team. However, as happens, he has played really well at LB for the last four or five games since MA issued the challenge, including an MoM performance. He is developing into a really good player - not the finished article by any means, but getting better. That said, if we are going into the Championship there will be more regular challenges and I do think we need a stronger, more natural LB to cope with the increased challenge. I can see him as a left sided midfield player but think, at the moment, he would get less game time as there is more serious competition than for LB.

I'm going left field and would argue that if he can cut out the random distribution errors and get his decision making right, he may well end up playing a Bridcutt type role when he matures. Playing at full back is probably through necessity currently but will also aid his positional awareness and reading of the game. It will do him the world of good long term.

He is a young lad that is prone to an error and he doesn't look like a creative player. However I have seen enough to know that he can carry the ball, is tenacious, can tackle, play it simple and is mobile enough to press and intercept. I have every confidence he will develop into a good holding midfielder who will learn to step out at the right times.

It's down to Tayo to kick on and if he does I believe we have a Liam Bridcutt replacement in waiting for when LB decides to hang up his boots.

I'm going left field and would argue that if he can cut out the random distribution errors and get his decision making right, he may well end up playing a Bridcutt type role when he matures. Playing at full back is probably through necessity currently but will also aid his positional awareness and reading of the game. It will do him the world of good long term.

He is a young lad that is prone to an error and he doesn't look like a creative player. However I have seen enough to know that he can carry the ball, is tenacious, can tackle, play it simple and is mobile enough to press and intercept. I have every confidence he will develop into a good holding midfielder who will learn to step out at the right times.

It's down to Tayo to kick on and if he does I believe we have a Liam Bridcutt replacement in waiting for when LB decides to hang up his boots.

Wouldn’t disagree that he has the potential, but then ‘potential’ is the most used word in the game (look at Chapman, and other young players released by Lincoln over the last few years).