Winter Chat Line 2017 | Vital Football

Winter Chat Line 2017

herringthorpe

Alert Team
Staff member
OK, so it's now winter - brrrr today!

What's everyone doing from now until Christmas?

We have a busy weekend - starting this morning when I've got a hospital appointment - just one of those so many yearly things. Then off to do the supermarket shop.

Daughter and boyfriend coming tomorrow and have told me to make a chili.

On Sunday we are out with family - early Boxing Day as nephew has to work over Christmas this year so won't get up from Weston Super Mare.

Monday I have a Dr's appointment - just another of those yearly things and then hope to nip into town to buy a few bits.

Hope you all enjoy the snow etc without it getting too cold for you.
We are starting summer and the BBQ will be used tomorrow for roasting a leg of pork for a get together in the evening.
It is actually going to be quite hot tomorrow at around the 38 c Mark (100f) so a few cold beers will be the order of the day, well evening anyway.
Will start putting up Xmas lights etc at the end of next week. Never seems to be the same at Xmas and New Year here when it is hot and still daylight til late but I’ll take that any day rather than the cold and dark.

Do you know, Oz, that's probably the one thing I'd find really strange - hot Christmases! Over the last few years we've had it quite mild here for Christmas Day but I think that might not be the case this year. Though it is going to be warmer than it has been this weekend before it gets cold again for next weekend - and our football trip to Blackpool.

Blue skies and a bit of sun at the moment!

Glad it is mild for you and I hope it stays like that Caz.
I took some time to get used to the hot Xmas time here and I know a good many ex pats who still cannot reconcile it with the old days back in pommie land or wherever.
Truth be told there are still a few who have been here for many years who still think of home as the UK and so pine a bit for it over the festive season. Myself and many others are regular Aussies and would never think of anywhere else as being home. We have truly adapted to the way of life here and think it is great.
We still have a yarn about our childhood days when we hung the stockings by the fireplace and tried to stay awake to catch Santa and always left a drink for him,then getting up in the early hours annoying our parents with the noise. Lol great memories and should not be forgotten.
Nowadays we have BBQs at home but in days gone by we had them at the beach like the young folk of today.
Don’t miss the frost and snow Caz when you have a freezer box full of cold beer and sausages/ meat etc and diving into the Indian Ocean to cool off between times. :35:

No, I wouldn't miss the frost and snow - you realise as you get older it's not 'pretty' it's a bloomin' nuisance! Nice on pictures. My other half's ambition is to get snowed into a pub in the peak district or the like.

Your other half has a good idea there lol
I always remember our gang making slides in the street which didn’t do our shoes much good nor our backsides when our parents got hold of us.

Yes, we used to live across from a big slope which was great for sliding down - much to the disgust of the parents/older people who couldn't walk on it afterwards!

First family get together out of the way yesterday - and a good time was had by all (after all my whinging, Sixpence, about being an angel!)

We had sleighs or sledges we called them, mostly home made. We would take them to the golf course which had a steep brae at one of the tees at the bottom of which was a burn with a small bridge consisting of two sleepers. The idea was to set off from the top of the brae and aim for the bridge so as to get over the burn. Now this in itself was quite difficult but then you add in the fact there could be seven or eight sledges aiming for the same thing at the same time. Well quite a few mishaps including crashing into each other or landing in the burn occurred and we usually emerged soaking wet, covered in snow with a few bruises but laughing our heads of at someone who had copped worse than yourself then off you would go, hauling the sledge up to the top to do it all over again.
Better than having your nose stuck in a computer game like they do nowadays eh!

But not as dry!

Did a bit of sledging but not a lot when I was younger.

The first time my two went out on their own sledging the elder one decided it would be a good idea to 'head for the stream' - they came back soaked to the skin!

Back from a lovely few days in London playing with my little granddaughter. I love them at this age - she will be 2 in January - such busy little souls!

Pleased you've had a good time, Sixpence!

Been out with friends today to The Baytree at The Brecks - very nice and had a good natter!

herringthorpe - 5/12/2017 10:39 PM

Pleased you've had a good time, Sixpence!

Been out with friends today to The Baytree at The Brecks - very nice and had a good natter!

I did thanks - spent Sunday at London Zoo.
I really like The Bay Tree and such a varied menu.

We were a big and quite poor a family Caz and so almost anything we had bought for us in the way of clothing was usually bought with future expenses in mind and so was a size bigger.
With wellies and shoes we had to wear old socks which were darned, under the “ good” socks for school. The socks always managed to slip down of course and allowed the rubber rim of the wellies to rub against the back of the legs. When they became wet it would hurt and annoy you so we turned the tops down. Put them up before arriving home but mum was awake to that and let us know about it.
Not really much she or we could do about the situation, just part of that time.
Ration books and lard.