Windass position | Vital Football

Windass position

king_dezeeuw06

Vital Champions League
Just read an interview with Windass from Talksport (full link below)

He says he didn't think Rangers should've sold him but he is happy to be here now, but the most intersting part was what he said about his prefered position:

About Rangers “The manager told me I would be playing out wide and I prefer playing down the middle. For the sake of my own career I needed to play in a position where I can affect the game a lot more. I think playing out wide I wouldn’t really have scored the goals for Rangers in that position. In the past I haven’t really scored from playing out wide.

Gerrard also mentioned that the reason Windass wanted to go was down to his desire to play centre forward and he felt he'd ge that here.

So if Windass doesn't think he's a winger then it's no wonder we're not getting much out of him in that position and i can't see him moving here unless he was promised a chance to play where he wants, but how do we accomodate him, Grigg and Powell in the same team?

http://www.talkingbaws.com/2018/09/...uld-never-have-been-sold-by-rangers-to-wigan/

Perhaps if Massey and Jacobs were both fit he would play down the middle but while Massey is out injured and mcmanaman not fully fit he is going to be on the wing. Could try to appease him by bumping him inside when Powell is subbed off and replacing Powell with a winger.

To be fair, we don't really use any of the forward wide men as "wingers". Massey, Jacobs, Windass and even McManaman don't just hug the touchline. They move inside quite often to make room for the full backs to overlap.

When it works (as it very often does), the fluidity is very exciting to watch. The danger of course is that we leave ourselves outnumbered at the back, which has occasionally happened (especially on the left hand side).

He's had a slow start down here, but he's shown flashes of what might be to come.

In fairness to the lad if he himself recognises he's not that great on the wing then it explains his performances to date there. Perhaps he was/is the Powell replacement and we expected or expect him to leave. He seems quite a vocal lad and not afraid to voice his opinions publicly - not sure yet if that's a good or bad thing to be honest.

As I mentioned in another post I expect Windass to finish the season as our #1 striker.

That’s not to take anything away from Grigg who’s overall game has really stepped up. I just think a finisher, who is also quick and powerful, will always have a slight advantage.

All the striker’s will get plenty of game time as we ask so much physically of them. Windass is getting a starting spot earlier than expected precisely because he’s versatile. Contribute a few more goals from that position and he’ll have a strong case for leading the line.

Last edited:
I've been really underwhelmed by Windass so far for the price we paid but i was under the impression he was a winger who took people on and clearly that isn't the case. I'm quite relieved to be honest that he's out of position as i was fearing from what we've saw so far he was going to be a dud if he was meant to be a out and out winger. Even if he's not a natural wide man i find it a bit strange that he never takes anyone on for the pace he has.

If Windass doesn't see himself as a wide player then why did he sign?
It's not as though he wasn't pre warned were Cook wanted him to play.

The Rangers board sold him because they received an offer they couldn’t turn down. We offered about 1 million more than what Windass is worth, he’s a good player but not 2.5 million good. Having said that I understand why we did it, 15 goals in the Championship and his value trebles. But to get the best out of him he obviously needs to play in his best positions.

Sometimes when you go somewhere new you just don`t want to make mistakes , I think given a bit of time and confidence he might get back to his best .
We know he can score goals so let`s see , but i would agree he dose not look exciting yet ..

the best is still to come from this young player, covers every blade of grass, I look forward to seeing him progress.

Can tell he sets high standards for himself. That’s a big positive. He’s a player like Powell that can come up with moments of magic from nowhere to win a game. These players are so important because they’re the difference between a 0-0 and a 1-0 win.