Will we sign a striker or finish the season with who we have? | Page 5 | Vital Football

Will we sign a striker or finish the season with who we have?

Will we sign a "striker" this window, or finish the season with what we have?

• We will sign someone, but he will be past his prime.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • We will sign someone, but he will not be primarily considered a "striker."

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • We will make do with what we already have until Son and Kane return.

Votes: 24 100.0%

• Total voters
Telling you guys...Kane being out for a bit will not hurt us as bad as Sissoko being out. I will say it again...Sissoko has been MUCH more impactful this season than Kane. He may not have the goals, but his work in the middle of the pitch has stabilized our core a bit.

I still would focus our efforts in January towards a DM workhorse like him. Bring a bandaide striker for Kane if we find the right one, but my guess is Llorent can do the job for a bit just fine.

Though I still think we will not bring in anyone.

Telling you guys...Kane being out for a bit will not hurt us as bad as Sissoko being out. I will say it again...Sissoko has been MUCH more impactful this season than Kane. He may not have the goals, but his work in the middle of the pitch has stabilized our core a bit.

I still would focus our efforts in January towards a DM workhorse like him. Bring a bandaide striker for Kane if we find the right one, but my guess is Llorent can do the job for a bit just fine.

Like with the Kane situation, we also need to adapt in the middle of the park. Skipp and Winks will play a lot flatter as a 2 man. When Dier is back, then Winks needs to step forward more. If Winks is in there with Dele and Eriksen then it's an even different proposition. Alternatively it's 3 at the back and wing-backs defending their wider zones.

We will miss Sissoko though.

The Fulham game is going to tell us right away if Llorente can fill Kane's big booties [i.e. assuming Poch plays him of course]. If we muck up this game against one of the worst defences in the Premiership then we really are in the deepest poo.

Harry Kane: Tottenham not under pressure to sign replacement - Mauricio Pochettino

Chris Waddle says the injury to Harry Kane is “devastating” for his former club Tottenham

Tottenham are not under "pressure" to sign a new forward this month despite captain Harry Kane being injured, says manager Mauricio Pochettino.

England skipper Kane is not due to return to training until March after damaging ankle ligaments.

Pochettino acknowledged the 25-year-old's absence will affect Spurs' performances.

But the Argentine added: "I think it's not going to change our mind about the view of the squad."
Spurs, third in the Premier League table and nine points behind leaders Liverpool, are still competing on four fronts.

They will take a 1-0 lead to Chelsea in their Carabao Cup semi-final second leg, and then meet Crystal Palace in the FA Cup fourth round before facing Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League last 16.
Asked on Friday whether he was under pressure to find a replacement for Kane, Pochettino said: "When he is one of the best strikers in Europe, it is going to affect performances.

"Always we're open to improving our squad, to adding players that can improve us. But I think that's not going to put pressure on us to sign some players.

"We know very well the market now is so difficult, and the circumstance that we have. Of course, like always I tell you, if we identify the player that is going to help us and can add qualities that we don't have in the squad, we're more than open to trying [to make] that happen.

"But at the moment I think there's not too many possibilities to add this type of player that can improve us."

Where Tottenham's Premier League goals have come from in 2018-19 Player Goals Assists Goal involvements Percentage of goals (%)

Harry Kane 30%

Son Heung 17%

Tottenham minus Kane & Son 50%

Christian Eriksen 9%

Lucas Moura 13%

Erik Lamela 9%

Dele Alli 9%

Tottenham are not under "pressure" to sign a new forward this month despite captain Harry Kane being injured, says manager Mauricio Pochettino.
England skipper Kane is not due to return to training until Marchafter damaging ankle ligaments.
Pochettino acknowledged the 25-year-old's absence will affect Spurs' performances.
But the Argentine added: "I think it's not going to change our mind about the view of the squad."

As much as I admire Pochettino , I have defended him to the hilt on here, this is just getting ridiculous now.
If he proves me ,and countless others ,wrong in the next six weeks ,I will elevate him to sainthood .
iMO it's akin to saying we could sell him to anyone and not miss him .
And if llorente goes down with the flu on Sunday ? Or breaks his surfboard . ,! No pressure on the others then . I just don't get it . Even with Kane in the team he has thrown Llorente on to force a result of any kind . WTF happens now , 1-0 down to Fulham with ten minutes left ? Send for Alfie Conn !! If you've got good memories !!

Sorry EX ,I seem to have copied the the same piece as you . I didn't read the posts before I posted my post if you get what I mean ha ha

Last edited:
14 goals in 21 starts for Kane is simply fantastic. 8 in 12 starts and 5 sub appearances from Son is also superb. They have 50% of the Prem goals between them.

That in itself isn't reason to panic though. At face value, Llorente doesn't even make the list. That's because he hasn't been on the pitch. He got 15 Prem goals in 28 starts and 5 sub appearances in a relegation threatened Swansea side a couple of years ago. My guess is that if he had 20 starts in this superb Spurs side he wouldn't get as many goals as Kane. However, he would find the net pretty frequently and isn't a Soldado or Janssen. My assumption is that he knows where the back of the net is and we're about to see that.

He has done well. But the only reason he will be missed so badly is because we do not have any options.

He is a good squad player. But lets remember if we want to progress we will need better than Sissoko.

14 goals in 21 starts for Kane is simply fantastic. 8 in 12 starts and 5 sub appearances from Son is also superb. They have 50% of the Prem goals between them.

That in itself isn't reason to panic though. At face value, Llorente doesn't even make the list. That's because he hasn't been on the pitch. He got 15 Prem goals in 28 starts and 5 sub appearances in a relegation threatened Swansea side a couple of years ago. My guess is that if he had 20 starts in this superb Spurs side he wouldn't get as many goals as Kane. However, he would find the net pretty frequently and isn't a Soldado or Janssen. My assumption is that he knows where the back of the net is and we're about to see that.

I hope you are right.

Llorente of 10 years ago was a brilliant striker.

To me it is all about playing him the right way, putting him in positions to succeed, knowing his strengths...

Getting him the ball high up the pitch and letting him hold it up as Eriksen, Alli, and Lamela make runs off of him will be key in my mind. Also he is an aerial threat so the odd cross may find success with him.

So the dudes need to be smart and get him the ball early on our attack so we can facilitate off of him. If we use him in any other way...he will just be a passenger in my opinion.

Don’t worry ladies and gentleman

Big Andy Carroll is incoming!

Perfect solution to our problems and at the same time ,it frees up space on their treatment table . This can only have been written by a Spammer . Could not believe it when I read that .what a joke . Priceless

Agreed. I'm guessing Llorente will fade in the second half of games even if he starts. He'll need to do his damage in the first 60-70 mins.
Mutters ,I'm not feeling at all smug , I will leave that to you with your perfect prediction :wahey:. Poch should have performed damage limitation on the spot , ha ha After that .......... Twice he had the ball placed on his head ,in the centre of the goal ,on the six yard line . Nobody can say we didn't play to his strengths

Last edited:
Kane has had stinkers before. Remember the og Vs Swansea game where Eriksen got us a point by scoring both free kicks? He obviously had the confidence that he wouldn't be dropped after and could come back head held high. Felt like as soon as Nando beat Hugo the self doubt was palpable.

Wonder if Llorente will be given a few chances to make amends.

I used to look at Carrol and believe he had it all - some of the top scouts in the country would be gushing about him close by.

He then turned into a medics nightmare.

If only someone could keep him fit and get him playing the way he could, he'd be unstoppable.

I wouldn't be surprised or down-hearted if Poch tried.

he'd sign almost any deal to have a chance to play for us - of course a ridiculous physical gamble, but I was once told that he'd only grow into his frame as he reached the end of his twenties and then the soft tissue injuries would end...

Would I take that gamble now? Probably.(assuming the spam would let him join us in Jan for a small fee).

Kane has had stinkers before. Remember the og Vs Swansea game where Eriksen got us a point by scoring both free kicks? He obviously had the confidence that he wouldn't be dropped after and could come back head held high. Felt like as soon as Nando beat Hugo the self doubt was palpable.

Wonder if Llorente will be given a few chances to make amends.

I hope not, he is so what this team doesn't need it's unreal.

No pace , no movement, no guts, no desire, no nothing, as I said yesterday Babel looked so dangerous for them, I would swap him for this clod in an instant.

And just ask yourself this, why does Poch not even give him 5 minutes in normal circumstances, he's been here 18 months and that's just his 2nd PL start !!!!