Will the real Hojbjerg please stand up.. | Page 2 | Vital Football

Will the real Hojbjerg please stand up..

Plenty of talk at the moment about PEH and lots are giving him grief .
Lots of tactical memory loss .
Read through this , it gives a balanced view in what was perceived to be a bad game by him .

My view hasn't changed. He isn't an out and out DM. His best work comes from pressing further up the pitch and the stats prove it.

Get a DM next to him then Ndombele can just have free roam.

Still not sold on Ndom...

Still not sold on Ndom...

I'm not either USA. He is lazy and has a mentality issue. But I would sell others over him first.

With a DM and Hojbjerg behind him he wouldn't have the defensive responsibility, which means he could then focus on attacking which is his main game.

In a reverse psychology way it may even help his fitness as he will be focusing on something he likes doing.

I'm not either USA. He is lazy and has a mentality issue. But I would sell others over him first.

With a DM and Hojbjerg behind him he wouldn't have the defensive responsibility, which means he could then focus on attacking which is his main game.

In a reverse psychology way it may even help his fitness as he will be focusing on something he likes doing.

OK, so he might be good at pressing but what can he do on the ball compared to Gio, Dele and Ndombele? Does he have the pace to get back quick enough when he is caught high up?

I think it will be a moot point anyway. He's already over 60 compressed games this season and hasn't finished yet. It's not as if anyone subs him either. He won't sustain an all action pressing game. He might end up dropping in between our centre halves in the same way Dier used to.

OK, so he might be good at pressing but what can he do on the ball compared to Gio, Dele and Ndombele? Does he have the pace to get back quick enough when he is caught high up?

I think it will be a moot point anyway. He's already over 60 compressed games this season and hasn't finished yet. It's not as if anyone subs him either. He won't sustain an all action pressing game. He might end up dropping in between our centre halves in the same way Dier used to.

Well this is his problem, he doesn't have their vision or touch of class. Just like Ndombele and Lo Celso don't have his aggression and fitness.

If we play with 3 at the back with wing backs and with a DM his lack of pace getting back shouldn't be an issue.

I just don't see it working with him defending from a starting static position. He lacks speed, flexibility and agility. He needs to be starting from a moving position. Hence why he is good further up the pitch.

I think we'd struggle to get better for as good a price that we got him for. He has his faults, such as dropping too deep between the CBs, but he certainly showed enough quality and character to me for me to trust him for the future.

I'd be interested in having a 4-3-3 with 2 terriers of him and Skipp running the midfield to allow the wing backs up the pitch.

I think we'd struggle to get better for as good a price that we got him for. He has his faults, such as dropping too deep between the CBs, but he certainly showed enough quality and character to me for me to trust him for the future.

I'd be interested in having a 4-3-3 with 2 terriers of him and Skipp running the midfield to allow the wing backs up the pitch.

That's a massive leap of faith in Skipp. It's one thing playing in a Championship winning side but we're a top Prem side. Can he make the big step up? Lets hope so.

I wouldn't mind a defensive minded tempo setter like Neves.

A coach/manager has to get hold of him, get some serious speed training into him to build his pace over the first 5 yards and then play him 10yards ahead of the cb's, his interventions and tackles are his strengths, but his weaknesses are there for all to see.

You can see wy Jose thought he was ideal for playing a continuous low defensive block - but he won't be able to sit back and fall deep for any other coach that insists on setting us up to attack and press, the issue with his mobility has not gone away.

if he's our best DM we're in trouble unless our back 4 are much better than they are atm. If he's box to box he's not good enough offensively. I don't really know how he fits into a side with top 4 aspirations. If we're accepting that we're mid table then I guess he be one of the first on the team sheet.

My view on him changed dramatically through last season and to hear he was 2nd most dribbled past player in Europe or whatever the stat was showed how exposed we were by his lack of pace or positional discipline as a DM. Sissoko isn't a DM, Winks isn't a DM, Dier isn't really a DM... the last thing we needed as another not quite DM in the ranks, even if they look hard and shout a lot so Jose thinks they're a leader.

A coach/manager has to get hold of him, get some serious speed training into him to build his pace over the first 5 yards and then play him 10yards ahead of the cb's, his interventions and tackles are his strengths, but his weaknesses are there for all to see.

You can see wy Jose thought he was ideal for playing a continuous low defensive block - but he won't be able to sit back and fall deep for any other coach that insists on setting us up to attack and press, the issue with his mobility has not gone away.

Thats exactly how i see him.

The Queen Mary will never be fast.