Will humans go beyond Earth and colonise more planets? | Vital Football

Will humans go beyond Earth and colonise more planets?

thefacehead

Vital Football Hero
Will we? Much recent talk of one way tickets to Mars, people setting up colonies and domes and living off world.

But will we get off this planet in time? Or will we destroy ourselves first with global warming or a war or something else?

Humans have proved that we can colonise anything that can be colonised, or is worth colonising, but in experiments on Earth humans have failed to live for periods of time in Biomes, having to abandon ship early, so what hope going to another planet, where you can't just walk out the door?

So are NASA, talking rubbish when they say it's possible and soon, or is it really going to happen in the near future?

I'd never underestimate these Scientists. If they want to do it, they will find a way. It might not be in our lifetime, but the rate of advancement we have recently made just demonstrates how clever some are.

Out of interest, if they did, would anyone want to go?

Well I read that there are people lining up for it, they talked about a draft of people recently, I am sure there was a female school teacher from the UK short listed.

Obviously no one is going anywhere soon, but they were doing psychological tests, fitness tests etc. They have been testing people in beds, having them lie down on a bed for up to six months, exercising them in 'space' like conditions to test their muscle wastage. I am sure there was a recent panorama or Horizon programme on it recently, will try and dig it out.

The physical effects are one thing, but you mention the psychological assessment. That would be the hardest one to overcome, in my eyes. It's a one way journey, so you can't afford to send someone who couldn't cope.

I was interested if anyone here would go for it. I didn't word that very well!!! Or can we just vote on who we want on the first craft leaving? :17: :17:

Ha, that might backfire against you if you let people vote, lol.

Yes the physiological assessment would certainly be the most important thing, if we learn anything from Sci-Fi films, (and we do) it's that someone ALWAYS goes space mental!!

Doubt we will ever see it happen but I suppose it could be possible not for me that's for sure surely it would be a sheltered existence bugger that.Wonder if another planet would become the new Australia we could send all the nonces up there with a few packets of seeds and a couple of pigs and see how they get on.

Human history is littered with people prepared to push the boundaries and risk their lives all in the name of exploration. If it can happen, it will undoubtedly will happen.

I don't think so, although if it does happen it won't happen any time soon, that's for sure. Maybe hundreds or even thousands of years in the future it could happen if technology advances to a level where interstellar travel is possible (without taking too long to travel), but I think finding a planet with the exact same atmospheric conditions as Earth is worse than finding a needle in a haystack.

HeathfieldRoad1874 - 6/10/2014 12:00

Out of interest, if they did, would anyone want to go?

Depends what the night life was like .
What proportion of men to women
Does it have internet access and how much is a pint ?
And of course,can we come back for match days?

Hey we could start a new division one football league up over there and we would be the best again, Aston Villa FC NIcknamed the Martians?

I found this to be an exciting read

http://venturebeat.com/2014/10/05/how-big-data-is-fueling-a-new-age-in-space-exploration/

With one million square meters of collecting area and enough optical fiber to wrap around the Earth twice, this marvel of modern engineering will be sensitive enough to detect airport radar on a planet 50 light years away. SKA will also generate 700 terabytes of data every second, equivalent to roughly 35 times the data stored in the Library of Congress. At full capacity, the SKA’s aperture arrays are expected to produce 100 times more data than the entire Internet. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to realize that such a deluge of information creates a big data problem, perhaps the biggest we have ever encountered.

ClivetheVillan - 6/10/2014 15:24

Hey we could start a new division one football league up over there and we would be the best again, Aston Villa FC NIcknamed the Martians?

Don`t be so bloody daft Clive.If we hoofed it,the ball would end up back down here on earth and we`d have no ball !

Imagine that for an away day! Mars FC vs Villa.

I get hammered on a 2 hour train journey to Liverpool Lime Street, imagine what I'd be like after a shuttle trip to Mars.... I'd fall asleep 5 minutes into the first half. :-)

I hope not, we are well on our way to ruining this planet, would like to think we won't get our grubby paws on another.

ClivetheVillan - 6/10/2014 15:24

:1: :1: :1: So I guess you wouldn't send RL & PL up there :17:

Yes I have also read about this happening before: Would I go?. No way. Hard enough dealing with this life, without heading out to a new one with no way back