Will CCV confound his critics? | Vital Football

Will CCV confound his critics?

Spursex

Alert Team
He showed he could hold his own with the best and may well be on an upwards improvement curb...and my well yet stop those who've written them off for us in their tracks?

Perhaps Poch believes that after we lose Toby next year he has a place in the squad?

Spurs and Swansea fans react to Cameron Carter-Vickers' display
Sat 9 Mar
Southampton
2 – 1
Tottenham
Sun 17 Mar
Tottenham
v
C. Palace

Jordan Harris

@JordanHarris811
4 hours ago

Tottenham Hotspur loanee Cameron Carter-Vickers got a massive chance to impress his parent club this weekend.
riyad_mahrez_of_manchester_city_is_challenged_by_cameron_carterv_1144790.jpg

A number of Tottenham Hotspur and Swansea City fans have taken to Twitter to react to Cameron Carter-Vickers' performance during the Swans' FA Cup defeat to Manchester City on Saturday.

Graham Potter's side are out of the competition, but only after a comeback from the Premier League champions at the Liberty Stadium that provided plenty of controversy.

Swansea - who had taken a 2-0 lead into half-time - felt aggrieved by the decision to award a penalty following a challenge from Carter-Vickers on Raheem Sterling. Replays showed the Spurs ace got a foot on the ball, and many believe that VAR would have overturned the decision had it been available.

City's winner would come from Sergio Aguero, who appeared to be in an offside position before finding the back of the net.

a_fan_invades_the_pitch_as_sergio_aguero_of_manchester_city_cele_1144718.jpg

It may have ultimately been a disappointing night for the Championship side, but they can take a number of positives from the performance. And Carter-Vickers is arguably one player who can hold his head up high.

The defender perhaps sent a message to his parent club with a solid performance against one of the most lethal attacks in the country. He also highlighted his versatility as he seemed to be playing in more of a left-back role at times during the contest.

cameron_cartervickers_of_swansea_city_in_action_during_the_fa_cu_1104935.jpg

And it appears that a large majority of the Spurs and Swansea fans on social media are in agreement that Carter-Vickers was excellent throughout the game.

Plenty of the Swans supporters have suggested that they would love to see a permanent deal targeted this summer, while some Tottenham fans appear to think that the 21-year-old is finally realising his potential.

Here is how some of the Spurs supporters reacted to his display...

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/03/...fans-react-to-cameron-carter-vickers-display/

He was certainly pretty impressive against that city attack . His tackle on Sterling was perfectly timed , sadly so was sterling’s dive and we all know there was only ever going to be one outcome . CCV got caught a couple of times in possession ,in defence, due to Swansea’s tactic of trying to play the ball out as per Barca and city . All in all , he did himself a lot of good with a solid , brave performance , switching several times between full back and centre back .
The loan seems to be doing him good . Let’s hope he continues the current progress. Well done to him

Needs a loan to a PL club before can say he’s ready. Every time I’ve seen him he looks error prone and too slow

From memory, CCV only got this run in the side due to an injury to their own young promising centre half. It's good to see him playing well as that puts us in a win-win situation based on his value increasing. He might surprise all yet and make it in our shirt.

Good to see one of our loanees getting a break. Poor Josh Onomah dislocated his elbow in training after recovering from a hamstring. He's had as bad a season as possible what with the previous manager trying to make him the scapegoat for his own ineptitude. We could really do with him getting a break as well.

Needs a loan to a PL club before can say he’s ready. Every time I’ve seen him he looks error prone and too slow

So tough to nail down a PL loan for a CB ....it's a rarity unless the player is already viewed as exceptional - does he fit that catagory, or does he just need week in, week out experience of top competitive football.

Like you, I've never been too impressed with his pace and saw it as his key critical weakness, but others say he can be deceptively quick?!

So tough to nail down a PL loan for a CB ....it's a rarity unless the player is already viewed as exceptional - does he fit that catagory, or does he just need week in, week out experience of top competitive football.

Like you, I've never been too impressed with his pace and saw it as his key critical weakness, but others say he can be deceptively quick?!

His pace is deceptive, he's much slower than he looks !

I actually saw this phenomenon in person a couple years ago in a US camp. I asked a couple trainers about whether I'd imagined it, and they said no. He possesses and unusual burst of quickness, its true. At least heading into the 2017 u20 WC he did.

Over 6ft and 200lbs, he's always gonna look more lumbering than a 5'5" 150 lb guy.

I wouldn’t be happy with him starting games for us against top players, I think it would be asking for trouble.

He’s just the next Caulker for me.

Sadly, I don't see him making the grade. In addition, he is competing for the young CB spot directly with Foyth who seems to be Poch's favorite (as are the other Argentinians).

We really should learn from past mistakes and sell him this summer when his stock his high.

I have suspected a bias towards Argentinians but I'm not so sure now. Gazza is not playing much , Foyth is not justifying a pick and Lamela not starting even in front of a struggling Lamela and Son.

CCV has had 14 league and 6 FA Cup starts plus another 6 appearance from the bench. He's been involved in 26 games and is in the Swans side at the moment.

Foyth has had 7 league starts, 4 FA Cup, 1 League Cup and 2 CL. Zero sub appearances. He's been involved in 14 games. He might get brief game time in the congested April period but I'm guessing most of us would like the 3 senior guys to share the playing time. Dier is also fit now.

Would CCV swap places?

I have suspected a bias towards Argentinians but I'm not so sure now. Gazza is not playing much , Foyth is not justifying a pick and Lamela not starting even in front of a struggling Lamela and Son.

They are all sub par to be honest, but the bias is still there.

Gazza wasn't good enough to compete for a backup position at Southampton, making 21 appearances in 5 seasons only to move to a second league Spanish club. Anyone who thought he could compete with Hugo for the shirt was blind or mad.

Next we have Foyth, who (so we were told) had the elite clubs of Europe chasing him after appearing in only 9 professional games in his career (7 league). Those must have really been beastly performances.

Finally there's Lamela, who I really liked but can not be trusted to remain injury free to make the bench. He earned himself a new contract and a pay raise for living in the physio room in his ever lasting rehabs.

How they all made it into our club is a mystery, not sure if it's bias or South American under the table dealings, but all 3 should really be sold asap.

They are all sub par to be honest, but the bias is still there.

Gazza wasn't good enough to compete for a backup position at Southampton, making 21 appearances in 5 seasons only to move to a second league Spanish club. Anyone who thought he could compete with Hugo for the shirt was blind or mad.

Next we have Foyth, who (so we were told) had the elite clubs of Europe chasing him after appearing in only 9 professional games in his career (7 league). Those must have really been beastly performances.

Finally there's Lamela, who I really liked but can not be trusted to remain injury free to make the bench. He earned himself a new contract and a pay raise for living in the physio room in his ever lasting rehabs.

How they all made it into our club is a mystery, not sure if it's bias or South American under the table dealings, but all 3 should really be sold asap.

Foyth and Lamela play for their national side I think which is of a pretty high standard .

Foyth and Lamela play for their national side I think which is of a pretty high standard .

Argentina have no standard whatsoever when calling players, their turnaround is rediculous, but let's look at our players' incredible international career.

Foyth has 1 senior cap in an international friendly.

Lamela 24 appearances,13 of those are friendlies. He has totaled 900 minutes of international football, less of 400 of those are in non friendlies.

Real international monsters these two.

It's hard to call for bias towards Argentinians when he picks Trippier every time when fit. There's also Dier going through spells of really poor form but staying in the side.

Lamela's had it as tough as anyone under Poch. I'm sure there's tons of times when he's watched Son or Moura go missing in tough away games when he's on the bench or in the stands. I've had exactly the same thoughts.

Argentina have no standard whatsoever when calling players, their turnaround is rediculous, but let's look at our players' incredible international career.

Foyth has 1 senior cap in an international friendly.

Lamela 24 appearances,13 of those are friendlies. He has totaled 900 minutes of international football, less of 400 of those are in non friendlies.

Real international monsters these two.

Lamela has duped his national coach 24 times. Various coaches too. All dumb arses I guess. Or maybe they see something in him. ? Foyth is very young and playing in a crucial position as a CB. To get picked for Argentina again suggests he has something . Indeed even I can see he has potential but I get frustrated with his decision making. Neither are monsters on the international stage it is true .

Personally I think Foyth will be a decent player for us, he's still very young for a CB. He may even end up in midfield, I'm not sure why so many are so quick to write him off.

Personally I think Foyth will be a decent player for us, he's still very young for a CB. He may even end up in midfield, I'm not sure why so many are so quick to write him off.

He is a strange purchase and so different from the mold of young players we targeted before he came - Cheap young players with playing experience in lower/foreign league (Dier and Alli) or a world class talent with European experience (Sanchez).

All the players I mentioned got into our squad and provided immediate impact at a young age, and here we have a cat in the sack in his second year.

He isn't good enough to play for us at the PL level at this point, and I don't see him going on loan to get experience. Not sure how he can improve or how we could assess his abilities.

We simply can not afford to keep spending money on players who take forever to perform, especially when there is a probability of them not making the grade.