Wildlife rescue | Vital Football

Wildlife rescue

Rob the Imp

Vital Football Hero
Tonight's dog walk involved finding an injured fledgling magpie, which I narrowly diverted their attentions away from. I initially put it in a sheltered spot in a hedge but on the way back it was again weakly hopping about on the path, so have brought it home for now to at least avoid anything hungry getting it. Will make some calls in the morning to see if anyone more qualified can advise or take it in.

Anyone else ever have to take in and nurse an animal?

When small once found a young fledged Magpie with my cousin. Took it home but uncle told us to take it back. While carrying it back it grabbed hold of my cousin’s top lip and refused to let go. I had to pull/prise it off him and it drew blood.

If it can fly twenty feet or more would take it back, in the meantime worms, maggots etc plus some water will help sort it out. Keep it away from your face, especially you eyes.

A couple of baby hedgehogs were rescued in our garden by the wife. After a day or so, she took them to the local vets.
Not wildlife, but we found my cat under the laurel hedge in the garden. It was about 6 weeks old and terrified. 7 years on and it's still skittish and very wary of pretty much anything.

During a boating holiday on the Norfolk Broads a number of years ago we noticed a Canada Goose with it’s legs tied with fishing line to the point it could only take short steps and was unable to run fast enough on the water to take flight. We enticed it over to the bank with food and managed to catch and hold it long enough for my wife to cut the line free with her nail scissors, and off it went, grateful I think.

When small once found a young fledged Magpie with my cousin. Took it home but uncle told us to take it back. While carrying it back it grabbed hold of my cousin’s top lip and refused to let go. I had to pull/prise it off him and it drew blood.

If it can fly twenty feet or more would take it back, in the meantime worms, maggots etc plus some water will help sort it out. Keep it away from your face, especially you eyes.
Sounds like yours was ungrateful!

It couldn't fly at all, just weakly hop and then fall over. Sadly it didn't survive the night, despite eating (and defecating) in the evening and was sleeping soundly when I went to bed. I couldn't really tell, but it must have had some injuries going on unfortunately.

A couple of baby hedgehogs were rescued in our garden by the wife. After a day or so, she took them to the local vets.
Not wildlife, but we found my cat under the laurel hedge in the garden. It was about 6 weeks old and terrified. 7 years on and it's still skittish and very wary of pretty much anything.
My in-laws once had a lovely border collie which they found in a bush as a puppy! She lived to be fifteen I think it was.

When I lived with my parents still we rescued a pair of baby hedgehogs whose mother had died. They were wonderful little things that we kept in a guinea pig run. You wouldn't believe how well they can climb - often at night we'd sneak out to check on them and they'd be at the top of the mesh, about a foot and a half off the ground! We released them eventually once they'd grown enough. I hope they did well after that.

oh no sorry to hear that. it is kind you took it in and looked after it as you did much more humane compared to being at the mercy of predators.
Thanks, that was my thinking. I didn't have too much faith in it recovering, but better that than leaving it where it was and it being mauled by someone's dog, or whatever else roams around (lots of other wildlife around there).

Last edited: