Wildebeest on the pitch day before a big game | Vital Football

Wildebeest on the pitch day before a big game

Because that daft owd bat Whelan rubber stamped it, thats why!

And this new lot should have stopped them playing tonight, Sharpie did in the past.

Technically their fixture was out first - I'm assuming that Latics usually ask the EFL not to give us home games the day after the rugby but it can't always be worked that way
Plus they're already told they can;t play any home games in June so they don't have much leeway

Thought they would have done what Salford, Widnes, Warrington and St Helens have done by now. Do their fans not feel embarrassed that they rent a pitch from the local Football club?

Time after time this particular whingefest has reared its ugly head, time after time the pitch has been perfectly fine. When will you get it into your heads that rugby does not damage the pitch as much as football.
Although I can’t stand being able to see the rugby pitch markings in green I have to say.

Well with all this rain a paddy field comes to mind,. Perhaps its Cooks plan to stop Leeds:sorry:

Technically their fixture was out first - I'm assuming that Latics usually ask the EFL not to give us home games the day after the rugby but it can't always be worked that way
Plus they're already told they can;t play any home games in June so they don't have much leeway

I understand all that Bongo but its a case of tough shit, they play in our stadium they dance to our tune, it could have been played Sunday, i bet none of the new lot has even contested it. Clueless!

There's not a blade of grass out of place as I watch the rugby. What's the fuss?

Its ok watching it on the telly, i hope Leeds don't nick a crabby winning goal from the ball bobbling in front of the keeper tomorrow, because if they do you'll be moaning like f**k all next week.

Wasn't there a Premier League ruling a few years ago that the rugby couldn't play at our stadium the night before us? Can anyone clarify this?

Time after time this particular whingefest has reared its ugly head, time after time the pitch has been perfectly fine. When will you get it into your heads that rugby does not damage the pitch as much as football.
Although I can’t stand being able to see the rugby pitch markings in green I have to say.
Does it not? Oh right you must be right. It may not do as much harm as football does to the surface during a match but it isn't that that is the problem is it? It is primarily a winter sports pitch because we The Latics play in the winter period. The clumps play in summer and it may appear the herd of elephants are not messing the pitch up but in fact they actually are, but I've only worked in Horticulture all my life and dealt with Greenkeepers and Groundsmen for years so I wouldn't have any idea what I'm talking about.

Wasn't there a Premier League ruling a few years ago that the rugby couldn't play at our stadium the night before us? Can anyone clarify this?

I think there was ....yes....but..... we are no longer in the Premier League.
And it wasn’t that they couldn’t play the night before, it was that our fixture had to take precedence ...in the event of a clash

Anyway, what if WE nick a crabby winner through a lucky ‘bobble’ ?

Its ok watching it on the telly, i hope Leeds don't nick a crabby winning goal from the ball bobbling in front of the keeper tomorrow, because if they do you'll be moaning like f**k all next week.

Uninformed and way off the mark again Bro (how I hate that term).

Surprised to see the thread about the pitch ... in previous seasons it would have been a regular talking point (without a doubt).

However, we have.
A new(ish) pitch paid for by ... ? Money invested in a top notch overhaul, regardless.
Lots of work undertaken before the pitch was put down.
Artificial fibres.
New grass down this summer.

After some decent investment. the club has a pitch that should easily survive the rigours of football,rugby and the rain.

Plus a big screen, better catering where the pies don't run out before half time, pie and a big dollop of peas for a reasonable-ish £3.60, no longer have tea / coffee / hot chocolate that has foul tasting water included free, money invested in the squad, a category 2 academy, ever improving club media ..... Not much to gripe about apart from the performance last Saturday.
Tomorrow is a wait and see

Last edited:
Does it not? Oh right you must be right. It may not do as much harm as football does to the surface during a match but it isn't that that is the problem is it? It is primarily a winter sports pitch because we The Latics play in the winter period. The clumps play in summer and it may appear the herd of elephants are not messing the pitch up but in fact they actually are, but I've only worked in Horticulture all my life and dealt with Greenkeepers and Groundsmen for years so I wouldn't have any idea what I'm talking about.
What are you on about?
The gripe on this thread is about the state of the pitch for today’s match. I think it will be fine.
Please let us know with your horticultural background your view of the state of the pitch at 3pm this aft.

Being a Wigan rugby fan as well as a Latics mon I welcome both teams playing at the stadium. But, really don't buy this football does more damage theory. How can players who are half the size and weight and usually the only contact made is through the feet make more damage to the playing surface than huge 20 stone lads who are going to ground with knees and elbows and wrestling about
Sounds like bullshit to me.

I had the dubious pleasure of an invite by an old friend to last night's game and agreed to go as long as she came to our game today. All I will say is that I will not complain about our atmosphere again! Even my long supporting rugby fan friend commented when the crowd was announced! Staggering to claim that attendance!!

I had the dubious pleasure of an invite by an old friend to last night's game and agreed to go as long as she came to our game today. All I will say is that I will not complain about our atmosphere again! Even my long supporting rugby fan friend commented when the crowd was announced! Staggering to claim that attendance!!
Saw it on BBC breakfast this morning. As many empty seats as us but they will count Season tickets as being in the crowd.