Wigan v Swans | Vital Football

Wigan v Swans

keith margam

Vital Football Legend
Next up is the 474 mile round trip to the DW Stadium to play Wigan Athletic. On offer is a free pie and a pint as reward for the Jack Army early risers who make the journey for this midday kick off, and pay on the day tickets for any latecomers who decide to make the trip.

Last October we drew 0-0 there and going even further back to 2013 we won 2-3 there when we met them in the Premier League.

That same season Wigan were relegated to the Championship after 8 seasons in the PL, but at the same time surprisingly won the FA Cup, beating Man City 1-0.

In 2016 they were relegated to League 1, and spent two seasons there before gaining promotion back up to the Championship again in 2018 as League 1 Champions.

In Nov 2018 the Whelan family sold the club to Hong Kong based IEC for £22 million.

Wigan’s last 6 games:
B. City 2 - Wigan 2 (D)
Derby 1 - Wigan 0 (L)
Wigan 1 - N.Forest 0 (W)
Sheff Wed 1 - Wigan 0 (L)
Wigan 1 - Brum 0 (W)
Fulham 2 - Wigan 0 (L)

Last edited:
Swans last 6 away matches:
W3 D3 L0 F7 A3 Pts12

Wigan last 6 home matches:
W4 D1 L1 F7 A4 Pts13

As you can see Wigan are pretty strong at home.
We have yet to lose away.
Neither team scoring many, neither team conceding many.

Team sheets are out, both teams unchanged. Ayew leads the line with Celina behind a number 10. Naughton keeps his place over Roberts.
Wigan have got that 6’5” giant Kieffer Moore playing for them, the one that scored for Wales last time out.

Last edited:
Lancashire dummy ref from down the road. Hoorn holding Dunkley in the box from a cross, penalty, 21’, Moore scores 1-1. Ayew booked for pointing out the ball wasn’t on the penalty spot!

Last edited:
Goal!, Surridge 92’ header, excellent cross from Roberts.
Sub scores, sub with assist!

Last edited:
Final score 1-2. Top of the table on 28 points, at least until the others play later.
Not at our best but who cares. Two shots on target, two goals, get in!
Eleven corners for Wigan as they bombarded us second half, but we stood firm!

Three teams can catch us with their forthcoming rest of weekend games:
WBA on 27 points, Leeds and Preston on 25 points.

Leeds v QPR Sat 2/11 3pm

Charlton v Preston Sun 3/11 12pm

Stoke v WBA Mon 4/11 8pm

Steve Cooper after the match:
“It was a tough game. I thought we started really, really well and were good for the 1-0 lead.
I guess the plan was just to keep it going so I was slightly disappointed we didn't build on that because we felt there was an opportunity to keep playing well and keep creating chances.
To let Wigan back in the game the way we did is a little bit of a frustration but a little bit easier to say that now when you've gone on to win the game."

We drop to 4th in the table tonight as WBA beat Stoke 0-2 away to go top on 30 points. Stoke looked very poor and I’m thinking how the hell did they beat us at the Liberty recently. Three points in that game and we would have been top on 31 points tonight.
Plenty of ex-Swans on show, Allen, Carter-Vickers and Clucas for Stoke, and Bartley for West Brom.