Wigan in administration | Page 2 | Vital Football

Wigan in administration

As well as having to sell players to meet current debts (about £6m to £7m), prospective buyers are being put off by the massive current wage bill, which needs to be halved from the current £19m per annum!

That works out at 25 players on £14.6k a week.

That's some bill. Other than Marshall, Windass and the ex Knobber **** Garner I can't say I know any other of their squad. Paul Cook as manager and ex Pool player Richardsom won't be on massive wages.
Totally mismanaged club who had punched admirably above their weight for years.

Like the other Johnny come lately club, Fleetwoid Town , they are essentially a non league club heading back to where they belong.

It will include the non-playing staff but the bulk of the £19m will be the playing squad. They have already made over 70 non-playing staff redundant, but it is players they need to shed, and quickly, to make a difference

Bit rough that Bear Fleetwood have League history !
Thanks for this nudge that lead me to research this gap in my knowledge. It would appear that Fleetwood Town FC is the 4th incarnation of the original club and began life in 1977. Mystic Bear predicts that within a decade they will be back in the National League.

Billy Boston used to play for Wigan in the fifties a rugby star and most players lived in the town.Football did not have a big following my family had a newsagents for 3/4 years in the late 50s early 60s ....Wigan had a speedway team Wigan Warriors Don Potter from Blackpool one of their stars.