Wigan Athletic | Vital Football

Wigan Athletic

• Thread starter Deleted member 13556
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 13556

Gone in to administration! I think we will see a few more in the coming weeks!

That's bad luck for them, having won all three games since the restart and got themselves clear of relegation zone, they could now be doomed with a 12 point penalty.

Desperate for the Wigan squad and fans if they do get relegated by deductions. If there is a rush of administrations will the authorities hold to the rules and if they do what on earth will the lower divisions look like.

I do not want us to go down that route again and am sure the chairman is doing his level best to avoid it. That said some league one clubs might even end up better placed to survive by sliding down a league. The FA & EFL will need to be vigilant and smart, ahem.

That's bad luck for them, having won all three games since the restart and got themselves clear of relegation zone, they could now be doomed with a 12 point penalty.

All depends how many other clubs go into Administration. If multiple clubs gets a 12 point deduction then they could still stay up. Could be a massive lottery at the bottom of leagues with clubs on very few points after Administration.

With no prospect in the medium term of crowds returning to games many clubs who rely on gate receipts will struggle.

First of many? Probably.

Forget who it was but someone from EFL was interviewed a couple of weeks ago on talksport and he said they were looking at a way of forgoing the 12 point deduction this season.
It was pointed out that Bolton, for example, had already had theirs so it would be unfair but he came back with a theory that if a club could prove it was due to COVID-19, they may be exempt.
Thats open to all sorts of abuse I would think. Bit of a minefield 🤔

Hope Wigan don't get docked points, I want Huddersfield, Stoke and Middlesbrough to come down.

EFL have announced that Wigan Athletic will be deducted 12 points, however, it will not be sanctioned until their final position is know! If they finish outside the bottom three, then the points are deducted from the final table! In that respect the 12 point deduction could still have them out of the bottom 3 or relegated! If they finish in the bottom 3 from on field results, they will start next season on minus 12

EFL have announced that Wigan Athletic will be deducted 12 points, however, it will not be sanctioned until their final position is know! If they finish outside the bottom three, then the points are deducted from the final table! In that respect the 12 point deduction could still have them out of the bottom 3 or relegated! If they finish in the bottom 3 from on field results, they will start next season on minus 12
I bet they didn’t see that coming

So the same rules that funked over Southampton about a decade ago if I remember correctly?

I wonder what they'd do if Wigan escape relegation despite being docked 12 points? As they would effectively not be punished if they manage to escape regardless, I wonder if the EFL will find a reason to dock them 12 points next season.

So the same rules that funked over Southampton about a decade ago if I remember correctly?

I wonder what they'd do if Wigan escape relegation despite being docked 12 points? As they would effectively not be punished if they manage to escape regardless, I wonder if the EFL will find a reason to dock them 12 points next season.
Fair play if they stay up despite a 12-point deduction.

Mercenary, I know, but if Wigan come down that`s another localish game for some of us exiles. Any three from Wigan, Huddersfield, Middlesbrough, Hull and Barnsley and i`m a happy chappy....