Wigan Athletic | Page 4 | Vital Football

Wigan Athletic

• Thread starter Deleted member 13556
  • Start date
Wigan Warriors, the Rugby League team, has launched a bid to buy Wigan Athletic. Could be a decent thing for the footy club as maybe, through partnership, Athletic could see their crowd numbers rise. The rugby team gets much higher crowds than the football team - mind you, they might have to learn the handball rule...

Had a quick read of the statement from Wigan Warriors and I agree it could be a good thing for Wigan FC. Fingers crossed it's a good outcome for Wigan sport.

Wigan Warriors, the Rugby League team, has launched a bid to buy Wigan Athletic. Could be a decent thing for the footy club as maybe, through partnership, Athletic could see their crowd numbers rise. The rugby team gets much higher crowds than the football team - mind you, they might have to learn the handball rule...
They might also have to change their name.
Cultural Misappropriation apparently ?
Exeter Chiefs are considering it.
Exeter may also have to lose the Woh Ay Oh chant.

They might also have to change their name.
Cultural Misappropriation apparently ?
Exeter Chiefs are considering it.
Exeter may also have to lose the Woh Ay Oh chant.

None of that fancy Dan cultural misses-whatsit-nation up ere ya know. Thay`ll be Wigan Rugby and Wigan Football and there`ll be none of that United, City or Rovers int name - Wigan FC `ll do just fine.... And we shall be keeping the Eeeeeeee-up chant, just so as yer know.

Wigan now look good to take a 12 point hit and still avoid relegation. Brentford breathing down the neck of WBA and even Leeds if they slip up.

A 12pt deduction would currently leave them level on points with Hull. Whose goal difference has just taken a bit of a battering, funnily enough.

Quite the result for Wigan, they've effectively moved level on points with a direct rival (after taking into account the 12pts), and managed a 16-goal swing on GD.

is that similar to the tie up bristol bears have at ashton gate shotshy
3,000 sign a petition for a rugby team that they have never watched to change it’s name.
The world turned upside down !
I’m curious to know how many native Americans are seriously offended that a Devon rugby’s team have called themselves the Chiefs?
Wigan Warriors? What about the Warriors?
WWF are calling for Leeds Rhinos to change?

I think it is names like Redskins, Braves, Warriors, and Fighting Sioux that got this ball rolling. I know Natives on both sides of the argument. Chief, in itself, strikes me as harmless, but if it comes with war bonnets, tomahawks, and war whoops then it gets tricky. The Irish are not offended by Notre Dame calling themselves the Fighting Irish, but Irish Americans are far more certain than American Indians of their standing in American society.

Of course, what's really lame is sports teams following naming practices from elsewhere -us with Yank-style team names, for example, and don't get me started on Minnesota United and Real Salt Lake. They're just embarrassing.

Exeter Chiefs could always claim they were names after a ancient british chief.
An ancient British chief who con incidentally wears an American head dress 😁
Rebranding will cost them literally millions.
The whole stadium is decked out.
Every bar and outlet has an American native name and logo.
Even the beer glasses have the logo.
The main crowd chant is Native American.
If I was them I’d either ride it out or change to the Exeter Wokes.