Wigan Athletic | Page 2 | Vital Football

Wigan Athletic

• Thread starter Deleted member 13556
  • Start date
What’s the odds on Whelan buying it back for peanuts and starting again.
Could be a godsend for them.

Dave Whelan has had his say in the local Wigan paper! He said when the club was sold in 2018 the club was in a strong financial position and he is shocked by today’s announcement! He said unlikely he would step in as he is 84 and no idea at how bad the finances at the club are!

I genuinely fear for us now.
Does anyone know if Wigan were one of the many clubs in the Championship massively overspending to try and get into the Prem?

Personally I think we've got a more positive chance than most because Scally runs a very tight ship.

typical home gates of about 9K in the championship. Going to need a lot of investment to ever be a premier club again.

There isn't really potential there unless you wanted to bank roll it. I wonder if they might end up more of a Bolton than Coventry. Especially if the 12 points is applied to next season.

Amusing quote from the Wigan Athletic Administrator....”12 interested parties so far and they will have to proof of funds of £10m to continue the process because as we know perculiar people with no money try to buy football clubs”

More details emerging. Ignore overspending on players, coronavirus etc. This sounds like a scandal out of nowhere worthy of being made into a film. Click the tweet below and read through the thread of tweets explaining what’s just gone on:

Claims by the local MP:

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/fo...jor-global-scandal-says-mp-lisa-nandy-2903821

EFL’s Rick Parry:

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...comments-bet-in-philippines-a4488181.html?amp

Last edited:
One of the common themes of clubs going down the swanny is when they’re bought using loans.

they get loaded up with debt and invariably the covenants gets breached and that’s the end. It’s no different to a moody private equity deal in the city.

the authorities should check where the money has come from and how much it costs. It’s basic. Ffs.

More details emerging. Ignore overspending on players, coronavirus etc. This sounds like a scandal out of nowhere worthy of being made into a film. Click the tweet below and read through the thread of tweets explaining what’s just gone on:

Claims by the local MP:

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/fo...jor-global-scandal-says-mp-lisa-nandy-2903821

EFL’s Rick Parry:

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...comments-bet-in-philippines-a4488181.html?amp
If the bet things turns out anywhere near to be true then that'll be absolutely insane.

I think the EFL are as guilty as the owners of Wigan, especially if they deduct 12 points! Surely this will have to go to a criminal investigation? Cheers for sharing Trev.

Didnt see this coming when I started the thread!

The Glazers bought Man U using borrowed money, then transferred the debt from the parent company to Man U, putting them into debt for the first time since about 1945. Annual repayments are £62 approx. per annum, that means they have to qualify for the Champions League just to keep up the payments There was hardly a peep out of the Premiership or the FA, it appears in reality any shyster can buy a football club with borrowed money without much of a problem.

Last edited:
Something I dont think has been mentioned is that since the return of football a few weeks ago Wigan Athletic have played 3 matches and won them all thus taking them well clear of the bottom 3 before going into administration was announced!
Im guessing that if there is this bet on the them getting relegated they were expecting Wigan Athletic to go down without the administrators being appointed and not needing the 12 point deduction!

Something I dont think has been mentioned is that since the return of football a few weeks ago Wigan Athletic have played 3 matches and won them all thus taking them well clear of the bottom 3 before going into administration was announced!
Im guessing that if there is this bet on the them getting relegated they were expecting Wigan Athletic to go down without the administrators being appointed and not needing the 12 point deduction!
If the owners have put a massive amount of money illegally on Wigan to go down .I b$##@&y hope the players can keep them up.Ideallly at the expense of Charlton.

If the owners have put a massive amount of money illegally on Wigan to go down .I b$##@&y hope the players can keep them up.Ideallly at the expense of Charlton.

That starts today at Brentford and they wont get anything there!

The Glazers bought Man U using borrowed money, then transferred the debt from the parent company to Man U, putting them into debt for the first time since about 1945. Annual repayments are £62 approx. per annum, that means they have to qualify for the Champions League just to keep up the payments There was hardly a peep out of the Premiership or the FA, it appears in reality any shyster can buy a football club with borrowed money without much of a problem.
I don't think £62 pa is all that much tbh. I think qualifying for the Johnstones Paint Trophy would cover it.

Just been reading this.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/52680375
If that figure is correct we could easily see around 700 league players out of work.At very least the governing bodies need to step in and prevent clubs signing and new imported players at all levels .There really is no justification in our level and below.

Clubs at League one and League two with wealthy owners will take advantage of the situation to get their squads ready! Mansfield Town have already signed new players and Forest Green Rovers already have a couple in and another one signing on Monday!