Wigan Athletic Vs Aston Villa Sat 12th Jan 3pm | Page 6 | Vital Football

Wigan Athletic Vs Aston Villa Sat 12th Jan 3pm

Don’t understand the love for him on here. .

Well he scored 19 league goals in the season before his injury and is an undoubted talent.

I was mesmorised watching him warm up v Swansea at Half time. Not been like that since seeing Dwight Yorke warming up.

The talent is there. He's just a little greedy, but then as a striker thats not all bad.

I think we'd be MAD to offload. Especially as Abraham will be off in the summer.

Nothing but rumors about Kodja at the moment from he's injured to Dean Smith wouldn't be too bothered if he left as he doesn't fit in with the way he sets up the team.

Time will tell?

This is on Twitter at Brum airport?Dwt1LmjXQAA4qLd.jpg

On paper the line up is good but there’s a lot of gelling required and things will need to just click. The problem is they haven’t really clicked for a month or so even with the odd win.

The problem we have at the moment is:
1) A new keeper working with the defence
2) A defence who haven’t played together (or at least recently)
3) A central midfield who haven’t yet gelled and can’t compliment each other
4) wingers who drift in and out of the game
5) a striker who tries to press from the front but a collection of individuals behind him.

I’m less confident about today having thought about the above points than I have been all week expecting a result.

I think realistically we’ll get a draw today, hope I’m wrong.

From what I can remember about Wigan is that they are yet another Championship team who dish it out the rough stuff along with off the ball blocking and enjoy timewasting if things are going their way.

Let's hope we can always keep a 2 goal advantage to make life and the old ticker a little easier!?

Pretty much the team that I would have selected given the available personnel.

Today really is a must win if we are serious about promotion. As we play probably the worst 3 teams on current form (and the best) in the next 4, I think we need 10 points from these games. Wigan have been in free fall and have failed to score in most of their recent games. We need to be within 2 points of Derby tonight, especially as the 4 teams that they have already played twice are Leeds, Norwich, Sheffield Utd and Boro.

With our dodgy defence, which I am hoping against hope will now be slightly less dodgy, we have to attack and attack. Hopefully we can find some creativity through midfield, which we have been lacking since Grealish got injured.

As for Kodjia, I agree with others that he is great when in the mood but too often he does not look bothered. If we were to sell him, I would not be too fussed as long as we got a decent price....maybe £7-8m.

Coz he's awful. Truely awful.

Well. It's a cut throat business I know but recalling him from hull for 2 games and then binning him would be pretty dire man management.

I'm not a huge fan either but then unlike loads of others clearly are I'm not an expert on Hause either to say whether he should start.

Well he scored 19 league goals in the season before his injury and is an undoubted talent.

I was mesmorised watching him warm up v Swansea at Half time. Not been like that since seeing Dwight Yorke warming up.

The talent is there. He's just a little greedy, but then as a striker thats not all bad.

I think we'd be MAD to offload. Especially as Abraham will be off in the summer.

I agree he’s talented, but he isn’t there mentally for whatever reason nor do I think he has recovered from his injury psychologically. He’s also 29, much harder to come back from injuries.

Recently he’s got into positions he would’ve taken on two players and buried a few years ago.

I can’t remember his last good game. 6 goals in 27 isn’t good enough for me. Jarrod Bowen is on 11 in 26, and got 15 last season. That’s the sort of stats we need at Villa.

Kodjia could probably go to somewhere like Boro and set the world alight again, maybe even do it for a lower prem team like Palace. I just don’t see him doing it for us again.

Pilkington makes Wigan debut, Grigg on bench.
Can that defence & keeper muster up a clean sheet? I have my doubts

According to sky sports we have scored by far and away more goals from crosses than any other team, 21. The next in the list behind us on 11.

So, I want to see the likes of Elphick (who forvall his defensive weakness can play the ball) and Hourihane get on the ball and play diagonals towards el Ghazi and Bolasie. It’s Barney & McGinns job to battle for second balls. If we do that 10 times, 3 or 4 times we get the ball and our wingers have one defender to take on and whip a ball in.

Playing from the defence, to the holding midfielder, to the wide men, to the central midfielder, to the striker or whatever it is we’re currently trying to do is too intricate and not working.

Twitter gone into overdrive, Kodija had MRI scans yesterday, fee of £6m accepted last night and flying to Nice to sign

Think Kodj has been doing OK, considering he's been playing out of position. If he's not starting I'd at least want him on the bench.

Think the lineup is about the best we've got, give Cafu a rest won't do any harm. What we lack is an X-factor DM.