Wigan Athletic Vs Aston Villa Sat 12th Jan 3pm | Page 30 | Vital Football

Wigan Athletic Vs Aston Villa Sat 12th Jan 3pm

I wasn’t at the game yesterday but one of the things that’s dropped off since Dean’s early games is the continual pressing by our midfield and attackers when the opposition defence has the ball. We now appear to concede that territory without a fight. I commented during the Swansea loss that Swansea are doing to us what we should be doing to them - no time to settle on the ball, pressing defenders into making mistakes.
This fits the notion that we have dropped the effort level and reverted to type, from aggressive to passive.

Are they knackered? Is there a fundamental problem with fitness at the club that has been a problem for years?

I’ve always rated jack but I know realise that he is the main man , not talking about number of goals/ assists , he just links everything up and makes average players look better , need him back ASAP . Also we have to many passengers in this team .

Actually I think that could be part of the problem because Smith says it how he see's it that some have took the huff and simply stopped putting the effort in.

Yes, I think you may well be right with that Gator and a fallout with the players would go some way to explain a few things and the lack of effort.

Last edited:
Actually I think that could be part of the problem because Smith says it how he see's it that some have took the huff and simply stopped putting the effort in.

That's exactly what it looks like mate, he's dared to criticise them so they are out to scupper him. They probably don't speak to McGinn because he shows them all up with his effort.
Something has gone one o put in lazy shite performances like Swansea and Wigan

That's exactly what it looks like mate, he's dared to criticise them so they are out to scupper him. They probably don't speak to McGinn because he shows them all up with his effort.
Something has gone one o put in lazy shite performances like Swansea and Wigan
This is why I think we just have to take this season on the chin and be patient and let Smith get the wankers who think they are bigger than the club out and bring the players who will embrace his high energy high tempo style who will bust a gut to get us back to the prem. Another thought of mine which probably belongs in the conspiracy thread but most of our players must realise they will surplus to requirements if we reach the prem and know for a fact they will never play for a club as big as us again could be bollox but just a thought because all of a sudden we have gone from a free scoring swashbuckling kind of team to a slap dash lazy relegation type team overnight. Whatever the problem I'm sure Smith is the man to sort it out but it will take time to get rid of the crap and build a team of genuine quality. Even Lord Ron's team was a few years in the making and he inherited a half decent team with the likes of Little,Leonard,Graydon,Carrodus,Hamilton,Nicholl,Aitken and Robson they were all very decent players something Smith has no where near the quality of. Really believe that if we don't give Smith the chance I think deserves then I think we will be like an astronaut who has been separated from his life line just left to float around in space.

I’ve always rated jack but I know realise that he is the main man , not talking about number of goals/ assists , he just links everything up and makes average players look better , need him back ASAP . Also we have to many passengers in this team .
you know what, I hold my hands up as I slatted Jack G for being overrated plus not a great for having such a crap goal scoring record but god do we , sorry me, miss his energy, skill off the ball movement.
nothing wrong in being a good one man team if your other players know what they are doing like spuds but we have players to do that as half our squad are proven lazy and cack.
come back Jack you have a new member for your fan club.??

This is why I think we just have to take this season on the chin and be patient and let Smith get the wankers who think they are bigger than the club out and bring the players who will embrace his high energy high tempo style who will bust a gut to get us back to the prem. Another thought of mine which probably belongs in the conspiracy thread but most of our players must realise they will surplus to requirements if we reach the prem and know for a fact they will never play for a club as big as us again could be bollox but just a thought because all of a sudden we have gone from a free scoring swashbuckling kind of team to a slap dash lazy relegation type team overnight. Whatever the problem I'm sure Smith is the man to sort it out but it will take time to get rid of the crap and build a team of genuine quality. Even Lord Ron's team was a few years in the making and he inherited a half decent team with the likes of Little,Leonard,Graydon,Carrodus,Hamilton,Nicholl,Aitken and Robson they were all very decent players something Smith has no where near the quality of. Really believe that if we don't give Smith the chance I think deserves then I think we will be like an astronaut who has been separated from his life line just left to float around in space.

Yeah but if we got promoted those players would probably pick up a large bonus and maybe even get a pay increase. Any that were moved on would have raised their profile and also most likely get a wage increase and signing on bonus.

They did it with Bruce at the Burton game.

In modern football at clubs like Villa, the players have all the aces. Made for life. Some of them couldn't give a shit about the manager, club or fans. Once their contract is signed, It's just a fantastically well paid job from which they can't be sacked, no matter how poorly they perform.

Last edited:
Abraham, Grealish,McGinn, Axel when FIT...THE OTHERS ARE BANG AVERAGE and we wouldn't miss any of them tbh.

Smith is saying on the back of the Wolves E&S that this lot are good enough to go up. If he still thinks that now then he IS deluded.
2 points a game from now on (a tall order anyway with our GA record) would only get us to 76.....not enough!!

And there, in a nutshell is why stats mean next-to-nothing.

Exactly Taylor was the worst player on the field followed by Hourihane had he not taken corners free kicks and kicked off I don't think he actually touched the ball during open play as he couldn't catch up with it until play stopped!
I once saw stats that proved Reo Joker was the best passer of the ball in the premier league ,his second touch was a tackle and he couldn't pass wind .