Wigan Athletic fans in the crowd 1970s | Page 3 | Vital Football

Wigan Athletic fans in the crowd 1970s

My mate Billy Sutherland on there and Johnny King the hardest man on a pitch I've ever seen he would have terrified Norman Hunter
Billy was a very good player, i always liked his style of play,
Johnny King-tough as old boots, we could do with those 2 today.

Bleedin 'ell, if that's you John in Lazysids post, I've been havin' fag with you at half time out side the West Stand for the last couple of seasons.

Copied from a football Facebook group:
Anyone old enough to remember football in the 70s ?

My memories
Arrive 2 hours before kick off or don't get in

Toilets were basically a wall with half a drainpipe to pi$$ in and you could have done with wellies to get to it

Guaranteed violence at every match, always at least half a dozen fans frogmarched around the perimeter of the pitch by a copper, usually in an armlock

Genuine excitement when you saw the TV cameras at the ground as it meant you'd actually see your goals. Although Jimmy Hill hated us!

Commentators John Motson, Barry Davies, Brian Moore, Gerald Sinstadt all household names, how many from today will we remember in 40 years?

Absolutely no idea what the scores at other matches were and no way of finding out

Crowd surges every time your team scored, almost scored, got a corner, a penalty or there was a fight somewhere meaning you actually thought you might get crushed on a railing

More police in the ground than stewards

Beer within view of the pitch

Pitch invasions were normal

No such thing as “away” pubs, they just went to any pub with the inevitable fights

Players didn't dive, they actually tried everything to stay on their feet, real "fouls" were almost GBH

Shoot! And Match Weekly were essential purchases

Bog rolls always thrown on the pitch at players, it was the done thing.

Most pitches had no grass on them by December and few matches were called off because of snow

Top footballers were not well paid, they just received a "sponsored" Renault from a local garage.

Buses to away matches didn’t have toilets, they stopped at the side of the road and 56 people stood in a line doing their thing

Any more memories ?