Wigan Athletic fans in the crowd 1970s | Vital Football

Wigan Athletic fans in the crowd 1970s

Yes, gawping at length at those photos in the Observer yesterday, I was at most (maybe all) those games.
Fabulous crowd photos but couldn’t spot my teenage self resplendent in obligatory Parka and college style Latics scarf.

The FA Trophy semi final against Stafford (offside trap bastards) Rangers at a neutral Vale Park, sticks in my mind 31st March ‘73.....I’ll do a Phil Wilkinson ‘Did You Know?’ ....
”Whilst Latics were battling out a nil - nil draw, Red Rum was winning the first of its three Aintree Grand National victories. (Unfortunately I was on the horse it stole race from on the run in 😖)

Yes, gawping at length at those photos in the Observer yesterday, I was at most (maybe all) those games.
Fabulous crowd photos but couldn’t spot my teenage self resplendent in obligatory Parka and college style Latics scarf.

The FA Trophy semi final against Stafford (offside trap bastards) Rangers at a neutral Vale Park, sticks in my mind 31st March ‘73.....I’ll do a Phil Wilkinson ‘Did You Know?’ ....
”Whilst Latics were battling out a nil - nil draw, Red Rum was winning the first of its three Aintree Grand National victories. (Unfortunately I was on the horse it stole race from on the run in 😖)
We went to every match in FA Trophy, and the heartbreak of losing the Final
at Wembley to Scarborough after John Rogers equalised.

Still we had a great time over the weekend in London.

We went to every match in FA Trophy, and the heartbreak of losing the Final
at Wembley to Scarborough after John Rogers equalised.

Still we had a great time over the weekend in London.
Remember that well we where walking out just has we scored then ran back in great day out

Put your name to a face on the photos John, lets see if we know you.

In the very first one....... scroll down, and watch under the word "Christmas" on the site headlines. Look at the letter "s" at the end, and as you scroll, the 2nd person has a very familiar look. ............... though I'm not sure he'd be that old at that time.

Jeff ?

In the very first one....... scroll down, and watch under the word "Christmas" on the site headlines. Look at the letter "s" at the end, and as you scroll, the 2nd person has a very familiar look. ............... though I'm not sure he'd be that old at that time.

Jeff ?

He would only be a scrawny 14 year old in '71, so I don't reckon its him.

Was there that day at Vale Park also at the replay at Oldham really great memories there with my dad he died in 1985 and after watching Latics since formation in 1932 sadly missed our glory days RIP Dad

Was there that day at Vale Park also at the replay at Oldham really great memories there with my dad he died in 1985 and after watching Latics since formation in 1932 sadly missed our glory days RIP Dad
Great run in FA Trophy, we did some on the road travel in those matches.

Like you said about your dad, a lot of my old Latics fans from those days
never lived to see the glory days, but they were there in 'Spirit', i'm sure.

Bloody hell, the tradition of miserable bugger fans goes back a long way ! :LOL:

Losing Cup Finals at Wembley is a great place to be!

''Still, us 'miserable bugger fans'
had a great time over the weekend in London''.

Last edited: