Wigan 8 Hull 0 | Page 15 | Vital Football

Wigan 8 Hull 0

The last 18 months under McNeill we were but not in his first spell or when Tiler was here or most of McNeills 2nd stint. We were part time in non league. Micky Worswick wouldn't give up his job because it was too late in his career and Frank Corrigan was in two minds as it meant an overall pay cut but went for it anyway.
Mickey worked at British Aerospace (as it was then) at Samlesbury.

You don’t need to tell me about them days. What I said was we didn’t have loads of back room staff just made do with what he had same with The great team of 1970. And that team was one of the best teams we have had. Up to championship level.

Sorry John, but that's patently not true. They may well have been one of the most loved, the best to watch, the most honest, hardest working, most down to earth, most flamboyant, most physical, or simply, favourites.

They clearly weren't Championship standard though (or even League 2 of the day).

I don't wish to piss on any treasured memories, (some of my favourite players are from the old teams too - but only starting in 78 in my case), but let's not make false comparisons between standards.

EDIT - Helmet donned !

You're living in the past. Non league teams nowadays have all sorts of backroom staff. Gone are the days when Kenny Banks would run on and use his Ralgex and his magic sponge then go and sit with a manager and one sub. I bet a pound to a pinch of shit that Chorley had as many if not more backroom staff as us when they beat us in November

You're living in the past. Non league teams nowadays have all sorts of backroom staff. Gone are the days when Kenny Banks would run on and use his Ralgex and his magic sponge then go and sit with a manager and one sub. I bet a pound to a pinch of shit that Chorley had as many if not more backroom staff as us when they beat us in November
Not sure how many we have Chorley have a manager and 4 backroom staff - one is a goalkeeper coach as well 😉🤣
Oh and a magpie mascot - has crusty been laid off ?

I thought Chorleys manager was a headteacher in Warrington?

Sorry John, but that's patently not true. They may well have been one of the most loved, the best to watch, the most honest, hardest working, most down to earth, most flamboyant, most physical, or simply, favourites.

They clearly weren't Championship standard though (or even League 2 of the day).

I don't wish to piss on any treasured memories, (some of my favourite players are from the old teams too - but only starting in 78 in my case), but let's not make false comparisons between standards.

EDIT - Helmet donned !
They’d have bitch slapped last nights collective all over the bastard shop !!

(I’m off now, the nurse is here with me tablets)

I don't mind which way Leam and Gregor go as long as every player pulling on the shirt is 100% committed and we have a go.
Another half hearted collapse will be yet another all time low
We need to get stuck into them from the off, close them down and not keep
giving them acres of room to dictate the game.

We need to get stuck into them from the off, close them down and not keep
giving them acres of room to dictate the game.

Forgive me if I am wrong but isn't that how we started off against Hull until the clown in the nets let in two soft goals when they had never been a threat.
Just when you needed jones to step up to the plate and do what he gets paid for he let us down once again the rest is history.

The problem is confidence, how can the team build any when you know your back is not going to be covered.

I fully agree we need a better goalie but to be fair to him the defence in front of him seems ever changing and yet regardless of the changes they manage to be consistently inept ...that first goal went straight through him but how was Wilks allowed to get that shot in ?....both elements keeper and defence require trust in each other and right now it’s an ‘un-virtuous circle’
Wooton moves with all the poise of a bin wagon with the handbrake stuck on ..,whether that’s primarily because he isn’t match fit yet or he’s distracted by his wife being ill or giving birth I’m not sure but in any showing so far he’s made a bad job look worse.
Throughout the game our lot made Wilks look like that Traore off Wolves.....and Honeyman was Iniesta unleashed.....were either of them two on the pitch 7 months ago ?

Forgive me if I am wrong but isn't that how we started off against Hull until the clown in the nets let in two soft goals when they had never been a threat.
Just when you needed jones to step up to the plate and do what he gets paid for he let us down once again the rest is history.

The problem is confidence, how can the team build any when you know your back is not going to be covered.

But no mention of the clown that did a fresh air shot 5 yards from goal to put us 1 up ????... you are obsessed. At least be even handed with your condemnations.

I really don't know what you expect with a team full of shite.

The problem is confidence? And people like you do wonders in building up players confidence don't you?