Wigan 1 City 0 - Stats Link & Post Match Reaction & Debate Thread | Vital Football

Wigan 1 City 0 - Stats Link & Post Match Reaction & Debate Thread

Johnny Baguette

Alert Team
Unbelievable Match Stats...

http://www.manchestercity.vitalfootball.co.uk/stats.asp?a=590237

<b>The Ped Report by Pedmachine to follow</b>

Guardiola will get slated after the comments made about protecting players - the fact that they are missing the point will be ignored.

There seems to have been an incident involving Agüero after a Wigan fan got in his face after the final whistle. Storm in a teacup but doubtless there will be calls for Agüero to get banned forever. Wigan shouldn’t have allowed fans onto the pitch - that needs sorting

A horror show of a football match from our perspective and more importantly it's timing is disturbing at the business end of an incredible season. This harrowing result puts an extra yard in the step of every player we'll face for the rest of the season. City are beatable if they lose that cutting edge. I think this has been coming against committed lower league opposition. We've flirted with Wolves and Bristol in particular but our players found the special sparks required. Wigan did all that they were capable of and are richly rewarded. The referee is of the classic Premier League scattergun standard and we should be used to it by now. Sunday's cup final now holds a heightened emphasis.

We discovered that Eric cannot run fast.

a lot of Rusty players to use Bama's expression and that was true, Sané, Silva, Delph, Laporte Stones all lacking fitness, but still good enough to have won that match comfortably.

Anthony Taylor once again showed himself up, no matter how many yellows he showed to Wigan he did make a tit of himself with Delph.

Wigan defended admirably and we should at least be grateful that there was not a replay on the horizon not matter how gutted we feel and the good from this is that our fixture list just became a lot easier than the others.

Wigan boss Paul Cook on BBC One:

"It feels great. It's such a severe test. They're such a strong side and move the ball so well. We had to ride our luck at times and the sending off is always a big incident.

"Our lads deserve credit for their work and some of the blocks they made were outstanding and to beat Man City you have to do that.

On tunnel clash with Pep Guardiola:

"There's no problems, from our point of view we're trying to get every edge and everything we can and from his point of view he wants the game played and he's a fantastic manager.

"It's a great night for Wigan."

- It gets better...

David Sharpe: "It is not nice to see, football is emotional, it is what it does to fans. But I don't like to see this at the end of the game.

Wigan showed commitment

Wigan 1-0 Man City

Alan Shearer

Former Newcastle striker on BBC One

Magnificent from Wigan. The effort, the commitment, last ditch effort to block shots. City dominated possession, but rarely challenged the keeper. What an unbelievable performance and result.

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola, speaking to BBC Sport:

"Congratulations for Wigan for the qualification. We did absolutely everything, we made a mistake and this kind of game is like a final. OK, we accept the defeat. Congratulations to the winner."

On Fabian Delph's sending off:

"Red card. It was the decision."

On apparent clash with Wigan boss Paul Cook in the tunnel:

"Nothing happened."

More on the game: "It was like a final. They had one shot on target. I don't have regrets with the way we played, the performance, the heart. I judge my players on intentions and not results and the intentions were good.

"Wigan won, congratulations to them and now we rest to prepare for the League Cup final."

My red mist has finally blown away. Buzz summed it up nicely. The only thing I blame Pep for is trying to get too many players to play their way into shape. It doesn't show Wigan enough respect. The Arse's tail will be up after this.

Johnny Baguette - 19/2/2018 10:15

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola, speaking to BBC Sport:

"Congratulations for Wigan for the qualification. We did absolutely everything, we made a mistake and this kind of game is like a final. OK, we accept the defeat. Congratulations to the winner."

On Fabian Delph's sending off:

"Red card. It was the decision."

On apparent clash with Wigan boss Paul Cook in the tunnel:

"Nothing happened."

Well done, Pep. You showed a lot more class than I have.{where is the slinking away, and hanging my head in shame emoticon?}

More on the game: "It was like a final. They had one shot on target. I don't have regrets with the way we played, the performance, the heart. I judge my players on intentions and not results and the intentions were good.

"Wigan won, congratulations to them and now we rest to prepare for the League Cup final."

Thanks for showing class, Pep. I wish I could have done the same. :024:

This is the full on return of doubt which flickered spasmodically around the Wolves and Bristol ties in particular this season. Boy do we need to win on Sunday.

What a bloody awful week in the media for City.

It might sound like sour grapes but I am calling an English referee agenda as a big part of THE agenda to raise interest for the media company products. We have been so brilliant this season that we've been able to ride out refereeing bias but sooner or later it was going to catch up with us. Pawson's appointment at Wembley was a worrying omen before tonights disaster. I don't care who you are, you go down to 10 men and you need something special to overturn any deficit.