Wigan 1 City 0 - Stats Link & Post Match Reaction & Debate Thread | Page 3 | Vital Football

Wigan 1 City 0 - Stats Link & Post Match Reaction & Debate Thread

Last nights road to Wigan Pier reminded me of one against (I think) Blackburn a few years ago - we had someone sent off, fell behind and were chasing a game that you knew we weren't going to be able to save. I think we ended up with a 4 - 1 - 4 formation.

Anyway, loads of possession but apart from the odd chance we never looked like scoring. Looked better when Walker and Red Kev came on but to no avail although you'd never have guessed we were down to 10 men.

What will they charge Aguero with, self defence? Normally aren't clubs held accountable for pitch invasions?

Delphs 'challenge' deserving of a yellow? Several meaty 'challenges' from Wigan's Warriors only getting yellow.

But a Wigan's Ovation for the win, don't think I can remember another side making the number of blocks they did last night.

No idea about anything that happened between PG and Cook.

kennyclementstache - 20/2/2018 18:40

Rising - 20/2/2018 18:30

Common sense prevails.

Aguero won't face FA action.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43133978

Good.

But what does Aguero being 'reminded of his responsibilities' mean exactly?

I don't know for definite, but I asume it means you must not retaliate against the punters, even if severely provoked.

It was Wigan's responsibility to ensure that that did not happen, no-one should be subject of abuse, but Aguero is only human and anyone would defend themselves in those circumstances.

I think they should throw Wigan out of the Cup and give their next opponents a bye into the semis

Buzz Lightyear - 20/2/2018 19:16

It was Wigan's responsibility to ensure that that did not happen, no-one should be subject of abuse, but Aguero is only human and anyone would defend themselves in those circumstances.

I think they should throw Wigan out of the Cup and give their next opponents a bye into the semis

Not going to happen, but
:001: :001: :001:
for a cracking idea, Buzz.

After the Delph sending off the Wigan manager is calling for more protection for players - not just those just playing for Wigan but all players.

Honestly, you couldn't make it up!

kennyclementstache - 20/2/2018 07:53

After the Delph sending off the Wigan manager is calling for more protection for players - not just those just playing for Wigan but all players.

Honestly, you couldn't make it up!

What a nugget.

BamaEngineer - 20/2/2018 18:36

Day 2, and I still can't get over this one. I don't know whether it was our sh*t play, the lack of fair refereeing, or the clusterf*&k that occured after the match, but I'm having a hard time letting this one go.
Just let it go mate and hope that the Ashburton Bottlers have a poor game next up. :009:

I watched again last night, why I put myself through it a second time I don't know but I couldn't help but notice the amount of times the ball flashed across their goal with nobody anywhere near getting anything on it and the amount of loose ball that broke around their box that an extra City player in the mix could've made something from.

It highlighted how important Sterling has been to us this season.

And Jesus too perhaps - he tends to gamble getting into the six yard box quite a lot. The ones that Danilo and Delete Bruyne delivered :017:

Skoorb - 21/2/2018 11:40

And Jesus too perhaps - he tends to gamble getting into the six yard box quite a lot. The ones that Danilo and Delete Bruyne delivered :017:

Yep, Jesus came to mind too, he loves feeding off scraps in around the box.

I admire your courage in watching the game again :017:

Although you do often see things that you otherwise miss the heat of the moment

Had nothing better to.

Couple of other observations

The pitch was definitely a bit of a leveller, players needed an extra touch to set themselves because of bobbles, this affected Silva in particular who was really poor compared to what we're used to.

This extra touch also part explains the number of blocks Wigan defenders put in, first time hits were non existent because of the bobbles so they had time to close down space and get their blocks in.

Delph's red, I can see why it was given, still livid however that Taylor seemingly changed his mind after being man handled by a couple of Wigan players.

Not the first time AFT has made City an example - I doubt if the FA will do anything about him, but he is one Referee I hate to do our games because I think he is a red and bisased, he comes from Wythenshawe ffs .

I agree with you about the pitch BD, not ideal for our type of football or ferna might have hit the back of the net.

Still connot get over the studs showing tackle on Aguero and I know he got the ball but the follow throgh was reckless and Wigan watered the pitch before hand and they knew they could slide in from distance, but he also left the ground with both feet, but nothing given.

All very good observations.

The other issue I have with that foul in Agüero was that it wasn’t seriously discussed at halftime (I don’t recall it being shown again) or after the game. The guy let the ball run away from him and left the ground with both feet, studs showing and the right leg way too high. No way his contact with Aguero’s knee was an accident IMO.

Had a City player been on the receiving end of the tackle made by Delph I would have been annoyed if it hadn’t been a red card, but the one on Agüero was no different and should have been red.

I think it was a combination of the challenge being made in the “Golden Time” - the first ten minutes when refs are notoriously reluctant to issue red cards for fear of accusations of “spoiling the contest” (utter BS IMO) coupled with more leniency because it was committed by the underdog. I doubt Taylor would have shown the same leniency had Fernandinho made that challenge.

I think the Wigan players knew this and got the “reducer” challenge in as early as opportunity permitted. I wonder if this put some of our players on edge and nervous of getting clattered? The cumulative impact of the sort of tackles suffered from Cardiff etc

**ck off Maureen

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5418445/Jose-Mourinho-aims-dig-Manchester-City-defeat.html

Skoorb - 21/2/2018 18:33

**ck off Maureen

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5418445/Jose-Mourinho-aims-dig-Manchester-City-defeat.html

And how did you behave when you were beat by the best team in the land and all the world?

He is an utter hypocrite as pointed out in this article from the MEN

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jose-mourinho-vs-pep-guardiola-14318560

Mourinho knows exactly what he is doing - winding everyone up. If he's your manager you love him and if he isn't then he's the guy you love to hate. But give him some credit for his Machiavellian ways, the PL would be a lot duller without it if everyone got on and played nicely together!

Not sure on that one KCT, the soap opera surrounding the Premier League may be duller but the football certainly wouldn't.