Wigan 1 City 0 - Stats Link & Post Match Reaction & Debate Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

Wigan 1 City 0 - Stats Link & Post Match Reaction & Debate Thread

Some thoughts - difficult to keep calm as the cat has just vomited on the landing. Twice. Great start to the day after last night.

No matter who you are it is tremendously difficult to forge a victory against a team as committed as Wigan were. The blocks they made were outstanding - they were like Burnley on steroids. Whilst they weren't playing like Cardiff they certainly didn't hold back as their card count showed.

Blaming Bravo - knee jerk reaction and default setting. The goal was scored after Walker made a mistake near the halfway line - a loss of concentration or simply an error as he seemed to let the ball go past him deliberately and was unaware of Grigg.

Taylor - inept and influenced by the players and the crowd IMO. Possibly the fourth official in his ear. Will not be asked to explain and will simply say that he reconsidered the tackle and changed his mind. The will be no follow up.

Ramifications. There will be some. For the incident involving Aguero (allegedly someone spat at him) and the problems in the tunnel. I am expecting the worst including a ban for Aguero and fines for City and Wigan.

The pitch invasion. Disappointingly NOT being seriously discussed but it was out of order and Wigan need to be held to account but it all seems to be have been lost in the noise of the result.

When Pep discusses 'protecting the players' THIS should be his angle if attack. The players should NOT be approached by fans running onto the pitch and getting in their faces. That is poor stewarding and policing and put all the players at risk. I suspect though that only Aguero will get dealt with and banned for multiple games.

The tackle. I think what incensed the players was not just the change of mind from Taylor BUT his failure to do feck all about the foul on Aguero at the start of the game when he was caught by a knee high follow through from Bryce I believe? I could not believe my ears when Jenas in the BBC commentary didn't even think it was a foul. The guy left the ground with both feet having lost control of the ball and was out of control. THAT should be commented upon but again - lost in the noise.

This has indeed been a bad week. I do not mind losing a game of football - it was a hard game, we didn't take our chances and still took the game to them with ten men - but this has left a sour taste in the mouth.

The amount of loose ball that went begging around their box last night was infuriating, Sterling would've gobbled up some of them no doubt.

Tudor - 20/2/2018 07:12

Bluedub - 20/2/2018 07:01

Keep calm and blame Bravo.

Yeah and why not, even though he didn't do a lot (if anything) wrong.

Did nothing wrong, in fact his passing between the lines was excellent, saved Danilo from embarrassment early on and then was left hung out to dry by a dozy Walker/Stones, and then to rub salt in Grigg manages to get it beyond his reach by miskicking it right in the corner, ycmiu.

It's no surprise though, the whole team play like crap, Fernandinho and DeBruyne aside yet again we see the default mode of blaming Bravo, it's beyond pathetic.

Player Ratings (Honest Opinion) Vs Wigan

Twelve hours after Wigan’s fat lady cleared her throat and sung her lungs out, my intention is not to moan over my morning bowl of cornflakes but instead, give my honest City player opinion ratings.

http://www.manchestercity.vitalfootball.co.uk/matchrep.asp?a=590247

My only argument with them scores is I'd raise Bravo's up to 6 and mark Gundogan's down to 5, too indecisive and not aggressive enough.

The Aftermath

It seems as though Manchester City FC are either incapable, or simply inept when it comes to beating Wigan Athletic in the FA Cup.

I mean, how on earth did City come off second best, AGAIN?

http://www.manchestercity.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=590250

We might be out of the FA Cup but surly this will give the players even more impetuous to beat Arsenal in the EFL Cup Final on Sunday.

This season is certainly not over with just yet.

Come on CITY!

Time to pick ourselves up, dust ourselves down and get 'back on the horse's. The template set by Bristol City, Wolves, Cardiff & Wigan is difficult to replicate - they are playing out if their skins in one off games against a team from a higher division and fuelled by an adrenaline rush that causes them to raise their game to a level that gives them 10% extra.

Makes it difficult & I do wonder whether the cumulative impact of the 'get in their faces' challenges affected our approach. Some players were rusty (Sane, Silva D) & some were wary (Gundogan)......all in all a bad day at the office.

Moving on might be difficult I think with the fallout

Interestingly I cannot find a single image of the Burn foul on Aguero inside the first ten minutes.

Strange :048:

Skoorb - 20/2/2018 11:07

Interestingly I cannot find a single image of the Burn foul on Aguero inside the first ten minutes.

https://twitter.com/MaxChestertonJ/status/965689183888203776

Bluedub - 20/2/2018 11:18

Skoorb - 20/2/2018 11:07

https://twitter.com/MaxChestertonJ/status/965689183888203776

Thanks BD. Wins the ball but leaves the ground (out of control?). and the height of his foot on the follow through? Naughty. So muh for the promises of Paul Cook. He put on on Aguero there....and

1. Zero sanction from Taylor

2. A private image/video, recorded off their tv.......nothing on offical media sites whatsoever as of the time of my original post. Fishy in the extreme.

Doesn't fit the narrative I guess.

Am awaiting calls for Aguero to be banned before the League Cup Final next weekend for the incident on the pitch after the final whistle and the chronically poor stewarding and policing.

This will gather momentum I reckon

Another witch hunt just as followed the Brutal Assault on Winston Reid.

"Burn him, burn him, he's a witch......"

"But he was spat at and verbally abused by a yob who should never have gtten on the pitch"

"I don't care, he is evil and should despite having run around for 90 minutes in a febrile and hostile environment and at the end of a high tension cup tie should be able to restrain himself in the face of an unexpected and unprovoked harassment right in his face from a mindless yob"

Yes, Col, and City look like they are reacting on the basis that attack is the best form of defence by considering legal action against the Wigan fan who spat at Aguero.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11679/11259187/manchester-city-consider-legal-action-after-sergio-aguero-claims-he-was-spat-at-by-wigan-supporter

Common sense prevails.

Aguero won't face FA action.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43133978

Day 2, and I still can't get over this one. I don't know whether it was our sh*t play, the lack of fair refereeing, or the clusterf*&k that occured after the match, but I'm having a hard time letting this one go.