Wifi Mesh Extenders | Page 3 | Vital Football

Wifi Mesh Extenders

Also finally went for the tp-link s4 deco mesh extenders . All set up yesterday and undoubtedly an improvement with big speed differences by testing in the problematic places against the old network.

So couple of questions which I can’t really find answer to .....what do I do with the old network?. I now have two networks in the house. The original sky network and now my new set up deco network. The sky router is in the lounge with the deco cable connected as instructed . One deco in hallway , one on landing.
The only device I have not yet connected to the new mesh network is the sky q box (in the lounge).
I can switch between either network if I wanted to.

1- Do I just keep the old network running , is this a problem with 2 networks running alongside each other ?

3- If I don’t keep it running how do i switch it off keeping the new network obviously going. Is that even possible as the lounge deco is wired into the sky router. I’m guessing not.

2- As the sky q box is in the same room as the sky router and deco do I use the old network or change it to the new ?. Does it matter ?

You can keep both running, but try and make sure they aren't running on the same channel. You can adjust each in the Router configuration page.

If you can easily change the wifi network of the Sky Q box, then you could do that, then go into the Sky Routers configuration page and actually turn off the 2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi. It would then just be a wired router.

I say this, and then think that knowing Sky, they will have disabled this ability!!! They won't even let you replace their crappy routers with a good one.

You can keep both running, but try and make sure they aren't running on the same channel. You can adjust each in the Router configuration page.

If you can easily change the wifi network of the Sky Q box, then you could do that, then go into the Sky Routers configuration page and actually turn off the 2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi. It would then just be a wired router.

I say this, and then think that knowing Sky, they will have disabled this ability!!! They won't even let you replace their crappy routers with a good one.

Cheers Heath.

Sorry. Few more questions.

Why can’t they run on the same channel?

If I do nothing , what will happen.

If the sky router becomes just a wired router then presumably the deco that is wired to sky router becomes the sole Wi-Fi router in the house , therefore the only network.

Last edited:
They can run on the same channel, but that will cause interference and affect performance.

Download an app called Wifi Analyzer, and it will tell you what you and your neighbours are using. There are 11 channels, so just pick one that's furthest away from everyone else.

And yep, the Deco is all you need as far as wifi is concerned. it basically becomes a wifi access point.

Also finally went for the tp-link s4 deco mesh extenders . All set up yesterday and undoubtedly an improvement with big speed differences by testing in the problematic places against the old network.

So couple of questions which I can’t really find answer to .....what do I do with the old network?. I now have two networks in the house. The original sky network and now my new set up deco network. The sky router is in the lounge with the deco cable connected as instructed . One deco in hallway , one on landing.
The only device I have not yet connected to the new mesh network is the sky q box (in the lounge).
I can switch between either network if I wanted to.

1- Do I just keep the old network running , is this a problem with 2 networks running alongside each other ?

3- If I don’t keep it running how do i switch it off keeping the new network obviously going. Is that even possible as the lounge deco is wired into the sky router. I’m guessing not.

2- As the sky q box is in the same room as the sky router and deco do I use the old network or change it to the new ?. Does it matter ?

I think I have the same model. I got rid of the old router.

Yep, and you can't even use your own instead. They won't give you the username and password you need.

I won't touch them, and never recommend them to clients who ask.

I moved from BT to Sky and even though I have had less outages the Sky router just can't handle the number of wifi devices in my house which as I'm adding more all the time will just make matters worse.

I've been recommending Plusnet, they installing a %50 TP-Link Router. Cheaper overall, and better than anything BT or Sky can offer.

Spent 90 minutes chatting to Talktalk the other day, on behalf of a client, only to get told they couldn't fix the problem. I try to avoid them as well.