Why? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Why?

Agree with EagerExiles OP that there a quite a few things wrong. PS communication skills being a big one.

But I think Davey hit the nail in the head regarding injuries. If we’d had just the “normal” amount of injuries this season, I reckon we’d be comfortable mid-table again and looking up.

Then a lot of the negativity around the SOB would not be much of an issue. It appears they were just waiting for a suitable loss again to make themselves heard. Pretty easy to create some negativity when we lose.

And I haven’t heard one of that tribe utter anything about injuries having the slightest bearing on results. Just blame Scally and Evans for that too.

Quick side note about clubs and funding.

The Gills fan Bobby Martin (another scallyouter I believe) put up a post on a Facebook League One Forum recently telling everyone that Gills are the worst club in the division, and basically blaming Scally.

Reply from a Donny fan -

“Alan Hunt - We’ve owners with £400 million in there banks and we’re pathetic now (DRFC)”

It appears having money doesn’t always guarantee success.

And I read that Evans’ suitors Stevenage, although they are just coming into some investment apparently, their existing current owner is also said to be worth a fortune (£100m +) He still can’t get them away from L2 basement.

Maybe for all his faults and lack of money, PS hasn’t done too bad. Even now…

It's clear to me that Scally has lost any passion for the club that he may have had, which back in the day I believe he did. He has no respect for the fans that was clear with the ST debacle and the heavy handed tactics employed recently with the "hired help". I feel he is just marking time now, going through the motions and simply takling a wage, albeit a large one. His perogative I know, but if he does love the club as he often claims to, he should put his ego to one side, step down before points are docked, fines are levied and before we end up flirting with the prospect of nationall league footy. The problem is dont think he will until that damage has been done. He has a lifestyle to sustain, one which I doubt he wishes to give up.

It's clear to me that Scally has lost any passion for the club that he may have had, which back in the day I believe he did. He has no respect for the fans that was clear with the ST debacle and the heavy handed tactics employed recently with the "hired help". I feel he is just marking time now, going through the motions and simply takling a wage, albeit a large one. His perogative I know, but if he does love the club as he often claims to, he should put his ego to one side, step down before points are docked, fines are levied and before we end up flirting with the prospect of nationall league footy. The problem is dont think he will until that damage has been done. He has a lifestyle to sustain, one which I doubt he wishes to give up.
A bit harsh Chipteck. As someone who has regularly gone to the Gills since 1966 in spite of living outside Kent I can't help feeling f### the lical population. They don't deserve a league team. Where were these people in 1995?

Where were these people when.Scally was doing well and we didn't fill the ground in our Championship seasons. I was thrilled to be there. 75 mile round trips for the matches and the locals didn't bother. F### off.

Last edited:
A bit harsh Chiteck. As someone who has regularly gone to the Gills since 1976 in spite of living outside Kent I can't help feeling f### the lical population. They don't deserve a league team. Where were these people in 1995?

Where were these people when.Scally was diong well and we didn't fill the ground in our Championship seasons. I was thrilled to be there. 75 mile round trips for the matches and rhe locals didn't bother. F### off.

That's all true 58 but is it that the local people are vindictive and want the club to fail or is it simply that the club is largely invisible to the people of Medway ?

There is a total lack of promotion of the club e.g. no mention in the medway matters magazine that is delivered to every house ?

The club needs to raise its profile but seems to make little effort.

Stop a random person in Medway and ask them when our next home game is. I doubt if many would know.

A new ground that isn't hemmed in by terraced houses might change that.

A bit harsh Chiteck. As someone who has regularly gone to the Gills since 1976 in spite of living outside Kent I can't help feeling f### the lical population. They don't deserve a league team. Where were these people in 1995?

Where were these people when.Scally was diong well and we didn't fill the ground in our Championship seasons. I was thrilled to be there. 75 mile round trips for the matches and rhe locals didn't bother. F### off.

I don't think it's harsh at all. I'm neither a Scally inner or outer, in case you feel my views have an associated agenda. I'm only stating what I believe. From my perspective that's how I see it. The club has alway suffered from being in the shadow of London and always will, regardless of who is at the helm and possibly a potential factor as to why PS cant get any investment too. Even if money was pumped in or a wealthy owner took over, it still has to be run correctly and efficiently.

It's a business at the end of the day and businesses need constant investement if they are to succeed. It needs to be marketed, promoted and sold to its subscribers so that it gets a healthy return, none of which is happening and I'd suggest the complete opposite is, in fact. The catering outlets behind the RE, the poor tannoy system in the GRS, the lack of kids for a quid and dads n lads, all cases in point.

Whilst I realise the pandemic has undoubtedly had a crippling effect on clubs in the lower leagues, I dont believethe above is wholly as a result of Covid.

I realise the above are fairly simplistic examples but it illustrates a point.

If i'm going to invest my money in a ticket then I want a return for that investment and not be mugged off, I hope thats not too harsh.

My concern with Scally generally is that he's now shot shy.

When he arrived, he speculated to accumulate, and it worked fantastically well for about 8 seasons. When it worked well, the entire league operated differently, ffs we bought SBT and Sarbs in the same summer for a total £1.1m, which was entirely financed by the sale of Ade for £1.2m, and Corbett for £500k.

Then the goalposts were moved, guaranteed money didn't arrive, and we were left borderline destitute, racking up debts etc to the point that we could easily have gone under.

We had to refinance out debts, effectively sell the ground, and restructure to the point that we somehow managed to agree a deal with the bank to basically get our ground back and write off the debts. The old phrase that if you owe the bank £500 you're in trouble, if you owe them £10,000,000 they're in trouble definitely worked in our favour there.

Then we proceeded to bumble around the lower leagues, our promotions largely because our budget is pretty consistent with a lower mid table league 1 side.

The only time we had a decent run in league 1 is after we unearthed Dack for free, had a talented manager in JED who built a side around him, and almost pulled off a promotion but for Dack missing a bunch of the season after xmas. The next season, Scally then invested heavily (for us), and it all went wrong and fast, and I bet you he was having some nightmares over us going back to the bad old days of 2007.

This just leaves me thinking he simply wont take risks anymore, which you just simply need to do to in order to succeed. I'm not saying go out and blow the budget on x y and z, but if your so risk averse you wont take risks, then you will probably miss out on some good players that you could make money on in the future.

The result is, GFC are financially safe and sound, but what's there to look forward to?

My concern with Scally generally is that he's now shot shy.

When he arrived, he speculated to accumulate, and it worked fantastically well for about 8 seasons. When it worked well, the entire league operated differently, ffs we bought SBT and Sarbs in the same summer for a total £1.1m, which was entirely financed by the sale of Ade for £1.2m, and Corbett for £500k.

Then the goalposts were moved, guaranteed money didn't arrive, and we were left borderline destitute, racking up debts etc to the point that we could easily have gone under.

We had to refinance out debts, effectively sell the ground, and restructure to the point that we somehow managed to agree a deal with the bank to basically get our ground back and write off the debts. The old phrase that if you owe the bank £500 you're in trouble, if you owe them £10,000,000 they're in trouble definitely worked in our favour there.

Then we proceeded to bumble around the lower leagues, our promotions largely because our budget is pretty consistent with a lower mid table league 1 side.

The only time we had a decent run in league 1 is after we unearthed Dack for free, had a talented manager in JED who built a side around him, and almost pulled off a promotion but for Dack missing a bunch of the season after xmas. The next season, Scally then invested heavily (for us), and it all went wrong and fast, and I bet you he was having some nightmares over us going back to the bad old days of 2007.

This just leaves me thinking he simply wont take risks anymore, which you just simply need to do to in order to succeed. I'm not saying go out and blow the budget on x y and z, but if your so risk averse you wont take risks, then you will probably miss out on some good players that you could make money on in the future.

The result is, GFC are financially safe and sound, but what's there to look forward to?
You seem to ignoring the most important issue. Owners are no longer able to gamble on buying success with players they can’t afford because of the financial fair play rules. If the club did what you suggest we’d be hit with a points deduction.

That’s probably the most nonsensical post on this thread so far. Anyone who’s had any dealings with Scally would know how deep his feelings for the club run. Secondly, what’s this nonsense about points deductions ? The only possibilities of that would be if (a) we started signing players we couldn’t afford because of the financial fair play rules or (b) If we were in a financial crisis, the only other way we could lose points through going into administration. There’s nothing to suggest we are anywhere near that.

A bit harsh Chipteck. As someone who has regularly gone to the Gills since 1966 in spite of living outside Kent I can't help feeling f### the lical population. They don't deserve a league team. Where were these people in 1995?

Where were these people when.Scally was doing well and we didn't fill the ground in our Championship seasons. I was thrilled to be there. 75 mile round trips for the matches and the locals didn't bother. F### off.
Just corrected my now customary typos and noticed I'd originally taken 10 years off how long I've followed the Gills.

Also noted that it may have appeared at the end as if I was telling Chiptech to f### off. Sincere apologies there Chiptech; the comment was aimed at the apathetic local population, certainly not you!!

That’s probably the most nonsensical post on this thread so far. Anyone who’s had any dealings with Scally would know how deep his feelings for the club run. Secondly, what’s this nonsense about points deductions ? The only possibilities of that would be if (a) we started signing players we couldn’t afford because of the financial fair play rules or (b) If we were in a financial crisis, the only other way we could lose points through going into administration. There’s nothing to suggest we are anywhere near that.

With an emphasis on the had, as opposed to here and now, is exactly to what I am referring. As I said, he seems to have lost that passion that he once had, that's exactly my point. His chairman's chats unfortunately don't instil me with much confidence. I don't see that passion. He'll keep the club ticking over or thereabouts and we'll exist but the trend over nearly a decade is one of decline, one which I don't see changing if I'm honest.

I think he deflects the detractors by saying he welcomes dialogue and his door is always open but his soundbites lack sincerity.

Regarding the points deduction, I was talking in simplistic terms to illustrate a point rather than anything definitive.

Just corrected my now customary typos and noticed I'd originally taken 10 years off how long I've followed the Gills.

Also noted that it may have appeared at the end as if I was telling Chiptech to f### off. Sincere apologies there Chiptech; the comment was aimed at the apathetic local population, certainly not you!!

Thanks Gills I appreciate your comments, I sensed there may have been a few sherbets involved so no offence taken. Hope it was a good afternoon / evening.

Trashbat - our income streams have all but collapsed (including the amount of paying football customers) and the overheads I would assume remain high. It does not take an accountancy genius to forecast that 21/22 accounts are going to make extremely grim reading.

We just go round and round in circles.
Some of the fans want Scally out.
Scally clearly wants out.
So they are pretty much in agreement.
Some of the fans criticise Scally for not ploughing money into the club that he doesn’t have.
Scally openly admits that he doesn’t have the money and he’s taken it as far as he can.
Some of the fans want Scally to sell.
Scally clearly wants to sell.
The only disagreement appears to be that some of the fans seem to think that he should give the club away.
Scally wants a return on 26 years of work.
I’d quite like him to front out the protesters and ask them to make him an offer.

You seem to ignoring the most important issue. Owners are no longer able to gamble on buying success with players they can’t afford because of the financial fair play rules. If the club did what you suggest we’d be hit with a points deduction.

I'm not talking about Scally ploughing money he doesn't have, I'm talking about taking out loans etc from the bank to act as an investment pool, which you then invest in players on the basis that their values will go up. For example, if you invested £1m (all in) on about four players with potential, if one of them moon shots (which isn't unheard of - just ask Peterborough or Brentford) then you make your investment back and then some.

It's significantly more risky than what we do now, but that's only because what we do now has basically zero level of risk whatsoever.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if our credit rating is so far through the floor after the bad old days, that raising this capital in loans etc just plain wouldn't be an option.

Trashbat - our income streams have all but collapsed (including the amount of paying football customers) and the overheads I would assume remain high. It does not take an accountancy genius to forecast that 21/22 accounts are going to make extremely grim reading.

So what I meant, and I expect TB understood, is that we basically have no debts atm. Our main expenses are basically salaries. No-one at the club is on a long term lucrative contract, so if our income does/has collapse as you suggested, then we'll basically have a smaller budget to to sign a new squad with and get along being a mid table league two club, all the while being fairly safe financially.

Which is boring AF.