Why? | Vital Football

Why?

EagerExile

Vital Squad Member
Why has everything gone so badly wrong? Everyone has their own opinions, so let's have a grown-up debate on here. Here's my take:

Cause number 1. Scally worked his rocks off to keep the club afloat. He deserves massive credit for that. Yes, we have a small playing budget, but it's not that small. However - his communication is dreadful. I'm sure that's played a big part in the growth of the Scally Out brigade, which has in turn created division, a toxic atmosphere and dwindling crowds.

Cause number 2. Evans knew the budget at the start of the season. He deliberately chose to go for quality, not quantity. It was a gamble which has now back-fired spectacularly. I have always said our squad is too small, I don't like being proved so right. I do however rate Evans as a manager. He's simply got nothing to work with at present.

Cause number 3. The pre-season Covid outbreak has had a serious knock-on effect. We went into the campaign half-cooked, which meant we had a slow start. Many players weren't properly fit.

Cause number 4 - due diligence. For many years we have gambled on signing players with dodgy fitness records. We should have learned by now. Sometimes it comes off (eg Jordan Graham), but too often it doesn't. If because of injury a player has played fewer than half the games available in the last 2 seasons, we shouldn't touch them. Yes, the low budget is an issue, but both Scally and Evans have to take responsibility for this.

Cause number 5. We have been incredibly unlucky. Most of the injuries are impact-related, which doesn't suggest there's much wrong with our fitness regime. But the current injury crisis is the worst I can remember in 50 years as a GFC fan. Luck is a factor on the pitch too. On Saturday we weren't very good, but we still hit the woodwork twice. When you're down, things go against you.

So it's been the perfect horrible storm. Divisions, low budget, poor signings, a bad pre-season and endless injuries. If it continues, we'll be relegated and we can consign this season to the bin.

Last edited:
I think time has caught up on us. The division has got stronger year on year and we haven't been able to keep pace with the quality in the division. You can get away with it for so long but eventually it catches up.

Plenty of here will trot out the "we've been a lower league club for the majority of our history" and that's true. Although our history shouldn't mean we couldn't have a different future. It just needs something/someone to inspire people to want to follow the Gills. That lack of "spark" is the biggest issue for me and many people just won't believe whatever line Scally comes out with next - "Investment is coming".

Crowds have fallen for various reasons although I don't understand why people try to defend that Scally isn't one of those reasons. His PR has always been awful and I think that's coming back to hurt us with people just calling time on his leadership. Perhaps his appalling communication with ST holders during lockdown was the final straw for many.

People have voted with their feet and that's reflected in falling attendances. Lets see what Tuesday brings - about 3,300 I reckon but with less than that in the ground. When ST holders don't bother attending then you know something is really broken.

To answer your question Eager (from my perspective) - I no longer believe in the leadership of Scally nor do I believe he can reverse this decline.

Fresh ideas and fresh leadership needed.

Good point about time catching up with us Mark. Everything feels very tired and stale. Our division is also incredibly strong this year, but we can't use that as an excuse because we're losing to the smaller clubs too!

Good point about time catching up with us Mark. Everything feels very tired and stale. Our division is also incredibly strong this year, but we can't use that as an excuse because we're losing to the smaller clubs too!

Our injuries are the reason why we are losing to the smaller clubs. Our strongest XI would see us comfortably mid table.

This season doesn't really concern me. IF we can avoid the drop then its been a great season. Next season (if nothing changes) will be worse. Best players will leave and we won't have the budget (if nothing changes) to replace them.

IF we are in league two next season then I'd be really concerned - league 2 is not the division to have one bad season (ask Southend) or get a points deduction.

Why has everything gone so badly wrong? Everyone has their own opinions, so let's have a grown-up debate on here. Here's my take:

Cause number 1. Scally worked his rocks off to keep the club afloat. He deserves massive credit for that. Yes, we have a small playing budget, but it's not that small. However - his communication is dreadful. I'm sure that's played a big part in the growth of the Scally Out brigade, which has in turn created division, a toxic atmosphere and dwindling crowds.

Cause number 2. Evans knew the budget at the start of the season. He deliberately chose to go for quality, not quantity. It was a gamble which has now back-fired spectacularly. I have always said our squad is too small, I don't like being proved so right. I do however rate Evans as a manager. He's simply got nothing to work with at present.

Cause number 3. The pre-season Covid outbreak has had a serious knock-on effect. We went into the campaign half-cooked, which meant we had a slow start. Many players weren't properly fit.

Cause number 4 - due diligence. For many years we have gambled on signing players with dodgy fitness records. We should have learned by now. Sometimes it comes off (eg Jordan Graham), but too often it doesn't. If because of injury a player has played fewer than half the games available in the last 2 seasons, we shouldn't touch them. Yes, the low budget is an issue, but both Scally and Evans have to take responsibility for this.

Cause number 5. We have been incredibly unlucky. Most of the injuries are impact-related, which doesn't suggest there's much wrong with our fitness regime. But the current injury crisis is the worst I can remember in 50 years as a GFC fan. Luck is a factor on the pitch too. On Saturday we weren't very good, but we still hit the woodwork twice. When you're down, things go against you.

So it's been the perfect horrible storm. Divisions, low budget, poor signings, a bad pre-season and endless injuries. If it continues, we'll be relegated and we can consign this season to the bin.

Difficult to argue against any of that, Eager. I recall a few seasons back PS making a big issue about due diligence pertaining to fitness of potential recruits. We`ve been bitten by that particular bug in the past. I suppose, to an (large ?) extent, you have to trust the background knowledge of a manager when he`s looking to sign players he knows pretty well and/or have played for him in the past.

On cause 1 - I have to agree completely with your summary. Many GFC fans respect what PS has done for the Club over the years but, sometimes, i`m afraid his communication style comes across as sadly lacking. He needs to have your `phone number Eager !

Covid has without doubt impacted hugely on EFL clubs` finances. Some of the SOB should perhaps think a little harder about that aspect. Many EFL clubs, including us, I suspect, are fighting a big battle just to stay afloat.

Covid has without doubt impacted hugely on EFL clubs` finances. Some of the SOB should perhaps think a little harder about that aspect. Many EFL clubs, including us, I suspect, are fighting a big battle just to stay afloat.

All the more reason to double the efforts to connect with what fan base you have left then and make them feel valued and appreciated.

As a season ticket holder I'm afraid the club (meaning scally) failed on that front. I'm not sure his "chats" have had a positive impact either.

I think markinkent's analysis is hard to fault. Hoping for the best is all right as long as you admit privately just how wrong it could go and act to avoid that eventuality. Our current trajectory would see Ebbsfleet's attendances exceeding ours before they replace us in the EFL. Where is the impetus to change that trajectory to come from?

The style of football we play and the size of our squad will always take a greater toll on players. Is that style inevitably the best use of limited resources, I'm not sure.

All the more reason to double the efforts to connect with what fan base you have left then and make them feel valued and appreciated.

As a season ticket holder I'm afraid the club (meaning scally) failed on that front. I'm not sure his "chats" have had a positive impact either.

Mark, I agree that "communication style" has been a sad negative for GFC and I understand why some fans would be more than a tad disappointed. I sincerely believe that if PS were to engage a professional (eg Eager Exile) to improve the messaging it would lead to big improvements.

Having said that, and i`m not referencing you when I say this, there are some in the SOB who will not be dissuaded from entrenched bias, no matter what PS says. Sadly a bunch of the more vocal element of the SOB were in attendance yesterday. At the first moment of negativity on the field - by our PLAYERS, they were into the "Scally is a C***" and "We want Scally Out" routine. Totally pathetic in my view - and they don`t seem to realise, or don`t care, that our players are the people in the immediate line of fire when they start their abuse - a player`s action or non-action directly prompts the anti PS rage - little wonder that some of our players look at some sections of our away crowd with a look of dismay.

Just to be clear, Mark, if all of the SOB were as reasoned as you, the situation would be a lot more civilised. But, some of what I will refer to as the SOT`s, are beyond the pale - i have no idea why they would bother to travel all the way to Crewe just to rant profanities every time we concede a goal !

I don't disagree with you Lancs.

I think the situation is beyond resolution now in that both sides won't be able to come together in any form of amicable agreement.

I think Scally will leave the club in the next few years. Hopefully having sold the club to someone with the resources and fresh ideas to turn us around and hopefully in a more positive direction.

If he holds on for too long then I'd be surprised if the falling crowds make the club financially viable and eventually administration will be likely. Everyone loses.

Of course some will say those who disagree with him should stay away. I think they clearly are and next season will see how many more choose that path come ST renewal time.

I don't agree with the abuse he gets but I hope (and believe) that the protests have made him wake up to the fact that the club needs new direction. I just hope he lowers his expectations and finds a suitable buyer before administration - especially if we find ourselves in league 2. That's a big trap door at the bottom and we aren't too big to fall through it.

Mark, I agree that "communication style" has been a sad negative for GFC and I understand why some fans would be more than a tad disappointed. I sincerely believe that if PS were to engage a professional (eg Eager Exile) to improve the messaging it would lead to big improvements.

Having said that, and i`m not referencing you when I say this, there are some in the SOB who will not be dissuaded from entrenched bias, no matter what PS says. Sadly a bunch of the more vocal element of the SOB were in attendance yesterday. At the first moment of negativity on the field - by our PLAYERS, they were into the "Scally is a C***" and "We want Scally Out" routine. Totally pathetic in my view - and they don`t seem to realise, or don`t care, that our players are the people in the immediate line of fire when they start their abuse - a player`s action or non-action directly prompts the anti PS rage - little wonder that some of our players look at some sections of our away crowd with a look of dismay.

Just to be clear, Mark, if all of the SOB were as reasoned as you, the situation would be a lot more civilised. But, some of what I will refer to as the SOT`s, are beyond the pale - i have no idea why they would bother to travel all the way to Crewe just to rant profanities every time we concede a goal !
Excellent post Lancs.

I agree with all you say Exile, but to me point No 5 is the most relevant. It's the worst injury crisis we've had in years, with 8 automatic 1st teamers not able to start because of it yesterday and a 16 year old boy thrown into the mix for us. We're obviously going to struggle in those circumstances. Even allowing for that, we hit the post twice yesterday and they scored their 2nd goal in off the post, fine margins making all the difference.

A while back when we didn't have so many injuries Dempsey and Lloyd were running the midfield in a lot of games. Just very unlucky not to pick up points numerous times; We could have and should have beaten Charlton, Sunderland, Accrington, Bolton, Burton, Shrewsbury but didn't due to late goals conceded and/or bad luck. Although I must admit our finishing could improve.
So if we can get the bulk of our injured back we'll be ok, if not I fear the worst.

I agree with all you say Exile, but to me point No 5 is the most relevant. It's the worst injury crisis we've had in years, with 8 automatic 1st teamers not able to start because of it yesterday and a 16 year old boy thrown into the mix for us. We're obviously going to struggle in those circumstances. Even allowing for that, we hit the post twice yesterday and they scored their 2nd goal in off the post, fine margins making all the difference.

A while back when we didn't have so many injuries Dempsey and Lloyd were running the midfield in a lot of games. Just very unlucky not to pick up points numerous times; We could have and should have beaten Charlton, Sunderland, Accrington, Bolton, Burton, Shrewsbury but didn't due to late goals conceded and/or bad luck. Although I must admit our finishing could improve.
So if we can get the bulk of our injured back we'll be ok, if not I fear the worst.

Davey, agree with your post, and i`m honestly not intending to come across as pedantic (sorry if it looks that way) but, just a point - you refer to "a 16 year old boy thrown into the mix for us" - i assume you mean Joseph Gbode... have you seen him ? I realise that, technically his age warrants the "boy" description but, in fact, he`s a very mature looking, athletic looking, strong looking, tall pacey young man - actually - he really looks the part and I can`t see him being "pushed around" by anyone anytime soon. I Know you didn`t mean it in a derisory way - but i was just delivering the good news - he`s big and looks the part and, together with the other three young men we`ve included recently - the future looks good !