Why Travel? | Vital Football

Why Travel?

James06

Vital Football Legend
I'm not talking about going to work or to the local shop, or even travelling for business, but this is based purely on leisure.

I noticed in the interesting thread there seems to be a focus on eateries and food, how important is that to you when you go on holiday?

Basically what is the most important criteria for you in a holiday?

One vote only, so think hard, but feel free to expand and discuss obviously.

oh balls, it was a single option poll. thought I was ticking sunshine, food and drink, culture, sights.

I was then going to say some are to relax and some are for the excitement. ie the South Africa holiday wasn't relaxing, but it was an epic. But I also like a lazy poolside holiday to just let the sun warm my bust up body!

And then soak up the culture and food.

No the type of food isn't an issue for us. We go for the peace and tranquility when we go to Kef. It is stop the world we have got off. We go because we love where we go. It is our spiritual home. We love the Greek culture. We have been to other Greek Islands.

Sunshine as well as usually we don't get it here. It has it's own culture where we go as 60% of the Island visitors are people like us who go back every year. It has been unspoiled by mass tourism. We return at around the same time so we know alot of people there. Even the security remember us their.

Done a fair amount of traveling to various places over the years so we are quite happy to return to Kef yearly

We were at a Western themed barbecue this evening. It's as close as we're going to get to anywhere exotic in the near future!

Attachments

• 2013-07-15 19.08.50.jpg
    2013-07-15 19.08.50.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 0
BBJ - 15/7/2013 22:02

We were at a Western themed barbecue this evening.

Mr BBJ you have proper upset me now. I always thought you looked just like your avatar picture LOL :14: :17:

kefkat - 15/7/2013 23:58

Mr BBJ you have proper upset me now. I always thought you looked just like your avatar picture LOL :14: :17:
Do I look THAT bad??!? :10:

It is tough to pick just one!

Excitement for me. Experiencing a new or different culture is part of the excitement but going somewhere different and doing something different out of your comfort zone, hell even going to the same place with different people, is exciting. I think that is the most important part of a holiday for me.

Sunshine is not an issue as we get too much of it here. It is the middle of winter and sitting on 32 degrees celsius. Food and drink not high on the agenda, and if you've seen one castle or pagoda, you've seen them all!

There areso many reasons to travel it's hard topick just one.

I love travelling and holidaying. To start with, the actual process of booking something up gives me something to look forward to. I think i would go mad without something to look forward to so I try to have something booked up at least every 6/8 months no matter how small.

The destination has a lot to do with the reason. I would travel to Vegas to have fun and party, I would travel to Spain to relax and get some sun, I would travel to Greece for the food (and the sun relaxation too), I would travel to a random european city to experience a bit of culture.

This year I am travelling for mostly selfless reasons, as I believe all kids should have the Disney Experience before they are too old and cynical. I will get my enjoyment watching them enjoying themselves. (Plus I do love a good rollercoaster)

Doesn't have to be abroad either. A nice week in Cornwall or North Wales goes down a right treat.

Basically, i guess the generic answer is it's a big wide world out there with so much to see/do/experience/taste. I wanna fit in as much as possible.

I LOVE to travel. I wish i'd done far more when younger and is perhaps my biggest regret in life. I am starting to catch up now having done 2 recent trips to India, ive a trip backpacking Europe coming up in September and am planning a trip to Vietnam next March. I love to plan the trip and do lots of reading up on the place before I go.
I go mainly to see and experience the different cultures. I could sit and watch people all day in some of the places in India.
Obviously the sun is a big thing as well, as is the food and drink.
Im definately not one to spend a fortnight "relaxing " around a pool, not for me.

I love to travel, and like everyone else I go for a mixture of all the reasons given, and they do mix into one another somewhat (eg. buildings, culture and food can be linked).

But primarily for me, it's without doubt culture, (and history).

We have decided on a no holds barred view to travels with our kids. My brother and his family have been to florida at least 10 times and are going again next month, others we know go back to the same places year after year. Whereas we have decided that we'll go somewhere different each year and hopefully see and experience and learn as much as possible. This will I hope include one trip to Disneyland - but also the UK, India, Europe, Australia etc...

BBJ - 16/7/2013 06:27

LOL no! Just a tad older than your avatar, though of-course you are wearing the right top Ha :17:

Going to Japan or Switzerland is always a positive experience because it is great to be reminded that it is possible for a country to actually function properly.

Japan is a fantastic reminder that good manners are quite possible, and that crime should not be an automatic expectation of a society.

Several EU countries and Scandinavia provide reminders of how shitty the UK is and how useless our politicians are.

America is the place to go to see the consequences of massive social inequality and to remind you how old and sophisticated Europe is.

Canada is the place to go to be reminded that not everywhere is over-crowded and that there are still plenty of trees.

Australia is the place to go to feel what "hot" is and why all intellectuals are forced to leave.

New Zealand is the place to go to find out that bad weather is preferable to a bad earthquake.

Our holiday last week to Ibiza was a pure and simple hot weather,few beers,walking wherever we wanted for as long as wanted holiday.
First time ever without the kids,so it was a totally selfish,do what we wanted holiday.We`re having another one in September,then after that we might go for a bit of culture/food etc.
Although we`ve been told by a few people that Cuba is good,so we might change our minds.The good thing about the kids not coming is the ability to do what you want without worrying about anything,which is a new experience for us.
That said,we`ve had 17 years of cracking holidays with the kids to foreign lands.

Clubpaver - 16/7/2013 15:26

Our holiday last week to Ibiza was a pure and simple hot weather,few beers,walking wherever we wanted for as long as wanted holiday.
First time ever without the kids,so it was a totally selfish,do what we wanted holiday.We`re having another one in September,then after that we might go for a bit of culture/food etc.
Although we`ve been told by a few people that Cuba is good,so we might change our minds.The good thing about the kids not coming is the ability to do what you want without worrying about anything,which is a new experience for us.
That said,we`ve had 17 years of cracking holidays with the kids to foreign lands.
Nice one congratulations mate do you know the sex or not?

kefkat - 16/7/2013 10:04

BBJ - 16/7/2013 06:27

LOL no! Just a tad older than your avatar, though of-course you are wearing the right top Ha :17:

This is what we used to look like. Mrs BBJ has changed a lot less than I have! (We travelled to Belgium for our honeymoon the same day this picture was taken so it kind of keeps the post on topic.)

Attachments

• Wedding Picture.jpg
    Wedding Picture.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 0
Nice picture. Glad to see you weren't wearing your Villa shirt on your wedding day though.

Hmm it could have been on underneath mind???