Why n/g | Page 2 | Vital Football

Why n/g

For lots of words and names still in use, just think Latin. Student, London, City et al - if you`ll forgive the French sound of yet another Latin phrase...

But we do like to change stuff, don`t we ?

One of the reasons that I believed that traditionally a Cathedral was what defined a city was the example of Wells in Somerset.

Google it and you will find that it only has a population of 12000 but is a City.

I could not find any reason for that apart from the fact it has a CathedraI.

I say "traditionally" as towns now compete to be granted City Status by the Queen, as the example of Brighton and Hove mentioned earlier in the thread, which only became a City in 2001, despite having a population 50 times the size of Wells.

One reason I started this is when I was younger there was a radio programme interviewing well known people visiting London it was called 'In Town Tonight'. Also people in the Medway towns and elsewhere, then used to talk of going up to town, meaning London. I just wondered when and why it changed

:tophat: "Good ev'ning. Does anyone remember that Two Ronnies Sketch?"

:tongue:

:jangel:

:police: "'ello, 'ello, 'ello, what crime has befallen 'ere then?"

Last edited:
Why not.

Why not, the perfect response to each and every question posed. Satisfies the questioner, utterly meaningless and totally deniable. It also satisfies modern sensibilities regarding balance.

I read that Medway was hoping to gain city status once more. The problem for locals used to be that no one outside the Medway Towns had a clue where Medway actually was.
Now, thanks to bloody Covid, the whole of the UK now knows exactly where we are!

I read that Medway was hoping to gain city status once more. The problem for locals used to be that no one outside the Medway Towns had a clue where Medway actually was.
Now, thanks to bloody Covid, the whole of the UK now knows exactly where we are!

Perhaps Rochester should subsume the "towns" - job done.