Why Lamela is carefully managed by Poch... | Page 2 | Vital Football

Why Lamela is carefully managed by Poch...

Some would argue that by opening up about his fitness and training regime and talking about 80% capacity at times, he has devalued himself anyway. No potential suitor would expect him to pass a fitness test and therefore pay top dollar for him.

I'm sort of glad about that. This time last season we only had Eriksen, Son and Dele and were without the injured Lamela. Throw in Moura and we have a competitive quintet of attacking talent offering different skills.

Lorente must easily be in our top ten worst ever acquisitions.....not fit, not fit for purpose, not fit to lace his own boots.....he adds sweet FA when he comes on....and his effort is abysmal.....outrageous wages..... it like stealing! .....makes Lamelas 80% extremely impressive by comparison .RANT OVER..........
I said to USAF the other day he dont even look like a professional footballer any more. Just an ageing surfer, he isca complete joke that he has a squad place makes me angry.

I don't want to put a downer on Lamela, but this is his 6th season here. In that time he has had one decent season. Now he has had a good few months.

People had the right to question him. In the main he has been average.

But with the surgery and now he seems like he is accepting his fitness issues and how hard he can train, he may become a consistent very good player.

99% of us all agreed he had ability. That was never in question.

I don't think you can say I told you so and be smug about it after 6 years of waiting.

I remember you asking the question nick. It was always the case that he just needed sorting physically to let him show it. I gave up in the end and just let those that couldn't see it spout off to anyone who tried to be positive

I don't want to put a downer on Lamela, but this is his 6th season here. In that time he has had one decent season. Now he has had a good few months.

But with the surgery and now he seems like he is accepting his fitness issues and how hard he can train, he may become a consistent very good player.

I don't think you can say I told you so and be smug about it after 6 years of waiting.

99%. Really

99%. Really
He used to get stick for poor control, heavy touch, being lightweight, making poor decisions, losing the ball, having no right foot, a poor tackler, no pace, can't go past players and so on. So you have to ask....What did he have, what did pro coaches see in him ?

Me too. The pusillanimous comment was a throwaway. He came to us very broken. He was managed badly. Including bringing his family over to baby him. He's had a number of personal setbacks.

It's really great to see he still is driven after all that. Character. :thumbup:

Welll as you will all no doubt recall I used to refer to him as 'lameduck'.....well now I do not so he has shown something that made me change even my entrenched position....well done the lad! Keep it up keep injury free and go for it!

(In case people think I am softening with age, despite the sham game I still think of Sissoko as Shitsokko!)

Good post RD, truth and perspective.

What separates my thinking from most of the folks on here is that I have a different level of expectation, for the most part Lamela hasn't been good enough to fulfil it. A case in point was a situation against spam that demanded quick thinking to outwit the opponent, open-up the goal and create a better scoring opportunity. But instead of doing the unexpected he did what the defender, goalkeeper and no doubt many on here (lol) expected him to do. He just wasn't aware or clever enough to see the situation, manipulate the ball and accomplish the unexpected. If he can rise to that level and show me the thought process even if it doesn't always come off, he might begin to change my mind about him. Witnessing what I have for five years I won't be holding my breath!

Last edited:
Good post RD, truth and perspective.
I would dispute he has had only 1 decent season. First season he came to us injured. Second half of his second he started to make an impact. Third season he was from memory a regular contributor, 4th season was good until his injury, 5th mostly injured but made a big impact when he came back. This season possibly our best player.

I said to USAF the other day he dont even look like a professional footballer any more. Just an ageing surfer, he isca complete joke that he has a squad place makes me angry.

Yep, and I 100% agree with you...again. LOL

RD, absolutely spot on. We ALL have been waiting on this kind of impact for a long time now. But now that we are seeing it...I am embracing it. (And thankfully he is doing it right when we NEED it most...because we don't have much going forward at the moment!)

I would dispute he has had only 1 decent season. First season he came to us injured. Second half of his second he started to make an impact. Third season he was from memory a regular contributor, 4th season was good until his injury, 5th mostly injured but made a big impact when he came back. This season possibly our best player.

Being injured or not NRD he has been here for 6 years. 2015/16 was his only decent and consistent season to date.

We can spot an 'average joe' from five years ago!

He virtually missed two season and his first was a complete write-off...

So 3 he could play in, 2 he carried injuries and one he seemed injury free and begun to find both form and consistency..

It's a fact that this is his 6th; but it might be the first where his mechanical issues have almost been fully fixed and he can turn, run and jump, shoot freely.... I can already see the difference and to dny it is churlish, the key question(s) now are can he maintain it, and can he still improve further?

I have a feeling the answer to both, is yes.

Guess we will see this season.

All players have injuries EX, you know that. Most carry them for their whole careers.

Fingers crossed he has put all of them problems behind him. He has looked decent this season.

All players have injuries EX, you know that. Most carry them for their whole careers.

Fingers crossed he has put all of them problems behind him. He has looked decent this season.

It depends on the prognosis for his condition. Has it been eased temporarily to allow him to play with the expectation of a break down, or is it a pemenant fix which will get stronger ?